Did St Paul Change His Name?

The Pixie

From an exchange on another thread.
Me said:
Let us recall you are the guy one thinks Paul changed his name!
Considering that it's the bible that I get that from.... 🤣
Yeah... and?
Me said:
Where? Can you tell in the verse?
Is there ever a time when you will actually read the bible for the purpose of understanding?

Act 13:9 WEB But Saul, who is also called Paul, filled with the Holy Spirit, fastened his eyes on him,

You're embarrassing yourself Pix.
This poster says I am embarrassing myself.... And I take that as a challenge, so here is the thread where we can see just who should be embarrassed.

Having read the Bible for understanding, I can see that Paul was called Saul contemporaneously - that means at the same time, Steve.

He had a Roman name, Paul, and he also had a Hebrew name, Saul. Both at the same time. He did not change his name.

Act 13:9 WEB But Saul, who is also called Paul, filled with the Holy Spirit, fastened his eyes on him,

See the tenses there? Both present tense, because he still used both names at the time of the narrative.

See also here:

I keep coming across a “sticky” misconception that God (specifically, Jesus) changed the name of an important figure we now typically refer to as “Saint Paul.”
In a recent sermon, I heard: “Just like Saul the persecutor can become Paul the apostle, God is gracious to us.” On an exam, one of my brightest students wrote: “It is Saul, who is re-named as Paul, who is the primary messenger of the gospel.” A church member asked me, “Wait, you mean Jesus didn’t change Saul’s name to Paul on the Damascus Road?”
The problem is that such a view, however common, isn’t accurate. I hate to ruin the fun.

And here:

Question:
Why did God change Saul's name to Paul?
Answer:
He didn’t. Many mistakenly assume the Lord changed Saul’s name to Paul sometime after Saul converted from Judaism to Christianity, which happened during his encounter with Christ on the Road to Damascus (Acts 9:1-19). Unlike the instance of Jesus changing Simon’s name to Kepha (Gk. Petros) as a way of signifying the special role he would play in the Church (Mt 16:18, Jn 1:41-42), in Paul’s case there was no name change.

Reactions: Nic

The Pixie

For background, from some time ago, to be clear what this poster believes:
I think part of the problem you're having here is that you're unaware of what happened in the first century community of Jewish people, who came to follow Jesus. Paul was not an ignorant man. He was Saul of Tarsus prior to changing his name. He was one seriously fired up Pharisee, bent on destroying this new upstart sect of Judaism, which he felt detracted from Temple Judaism.

stiggy wiggy

You must be running out off things to argue about:

How about:

"Was David's slingshot made of wood or iron?"

Take a position and get snarky about it.

SteveB

This poster says I am embarrassing myself.... And I take that as a challenge, so here is the thread where we can see just who should be embarrassed.

Having read the Bible for understanding, I can see that Paul was called Saul contemporaneously - that means at the same time, Steve.

He had a Roman name, Paul, and he also had a Hebrew name, Saul. Both at the same time. He did not change his name.

See the tenses there? Both present tense, because he still used both names at the time of the narrative.

See also here:

I keep coming across a “sticky” misconception that God (specifically, Jesus) changed the name of an important figure we now typically refer to as “Saint Paul.”
In a recent sermon, I heard: “Just like Saul the persecutor can become Paul the apostle, God is gracious to us.” On an exam, one of my brightest students wrote: “It is Saul, who is re-named as Paul, who is the primary messenger of the gospel.” A church member asked me, “Wait, you mean Jesus didn’t change Saul’s name to Paul on the Damascus Road?”
The problem is that such a view, however common, isn’t accurate. I hate to ruin the fun.
So, what's the problem?

And here:

Question:
Answer:
He didn’t. Many mistakenly assume the Lord changed Saul’s name to Paul sometime after Saul converted from Judaism to Christianity, which happened during his encounter with Christ on the Road to Damascus (Acts 9:1-19). Unlike the instance of Jesus changing Simon’s name to Kepha (Gk. Petros) as a way of signifying the special role he would play in the Church (Mt 16:18, Jn 1:41-42), in Paul’s case there was no name change.
And again...

What is your problem?
The guy was named both Saul and Paul. The writers of the articles are pretty clear it's not that uncommon, nor did Jesus rename him Paul.

I think what you've missed is that Jesus saves sinners...

Including slanderous, murderous and malicious people who attacked God's people because they believed they were doing God a service.

You should follow his example and turn to YHVH from your sin and place your trust in Jesus.

The Pixie

So, what's the problem?

And again...

What is your problem?
The guy was named both Saul and Paul. The writers of the articles are pretty clear it's not that uncommon, nor did Jesus rename him Paul.

Steve, you are on record saying: "He was Saul of Tarsus prior to changing his name."

That is wrong.

It is great that you have changed your position, and now agree with me that "The guy was named both Saul and Paul. "

But that leaves one big question. Why did you say: "You're embarrassing yourself Pix." for saying something you now agree I was right about and you were wrong about? Why should I be embarrassed that I proved you wrong, Steve?

The Pixie

You must be running out off things to argue about:

How about:

"Was David's slingshot made of wood or iron?"

Take a position and get snarky about it.
It is, as it happens, just like the last thread I started. A Christian said something that is patently not true. A start a thread to point out his "stupidity" (your word, not mine), and he promptly pretends pretends he never said, despite the quote right there in my post, complete with a link to the post where he said it.

Just goes to show, you can never trust a Christian; they just cannot keep their story straight,

Tiburon

See also here:

And here:

Question:
Answer:

I heard he changed his name to throw of the Po-po who were after him for some outstanding tickets. And riding a donkey while intoxicated. Witnesses said he was drunk off his Ass.

The Pixie

Can you show scripture where he was called St Paul?
Are you proud of your messy postings?
He was canonised considerably later.

Just to be clear, I am not suggesting Paul changed his name to St Paul.

In fact, I am not suggesting he changed his name at all - that is SteveB!