Did you receive the Spirit by works of the Law? Or by believing what you heard?

Our Lord's God

Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard? Galatians 3:2 NIV

Notice the obvious contrast -
(1) did you receive the Spirit by doing works of the Law?
OR
(2) did you receive the Spirit by believing what you heard?

In other words, was receiving the Spirit a result of works of the Law, OR, was receiving the Spirit a result of believing what you heard?

Notice also what it doesn't say. It doesn't say believing was the result of receiving the Spirit. No, it is the other way around.

2 τουτο μονον θελω μαθειν αφ υμων εξ εργων νομου το πνευμα ελαβετε η εξ ακοης πιστεως

Literally, "out of works of the Law the Spirit you received or out of hearing of faith"?

So then, is the ability to believe only possible after one receives the Spirit? Or, does Scripture say receiving the Spirit is the result of believing?

Last edited:

TomFL

Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard? Galatians 3:2 NIV

OR

In other words, was receiving the Spirit a result of works of the Law, OR, was receiving the Spirit a result of believing what you heard?

Notice also what it doesn't say. It doesn't say believing was the result of receiving the Spirit. No, it is the other way around.

2 τουτο μονον θελω μαθειν αφ υμων εξ εργων νομου το πνευμα ελαβετε η εξ ακοης πιστεως

Literally, "out of works of the Law the Spirit you received or out of hearing of faith"?

So then, is the ability to believe only possible after one receives the Spirit? Or, does Scripture say receiving the Spirit is the result of believing?
It pretty clear you need faith to receive the Spirit

John 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
John 7:39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

Eph. 3:16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;
Eph. 3:17 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love,

Gal. 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Gal. 3:5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Gal. 3:14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

brightfame52

OR

One must be of God to hear the words of God Jn 8 47

He that is of God heareth God’s words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.

JDS

He that is of God heareth God’s words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.
Well there you go. You have found a verse that negates everything in the rest of the scriptures and Ga 3 is no longer relevant. Thank you for being on top of things.

TomFL

In context
John 8:45–50 —KJV
“And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.
¶ Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?
Then answered the Jews, and said unto him, Say we not well that thou art a Samaritan, and hast a devil?
Jesus answered, I have not a devil; but I honour my Father, and ye do dishonour me.
And I seek not mine own glory: there is one that seeketh and judgeth.”

Jesus is explaining why the Jews do not believe him

It is because they are not of God

JDS

OR

Here is another 180.

The scriptures teach that justification is by grace through faith and Calvinists teach it is by faith through grace.

This is the reason they will not accept the truth of Ephesians 2:8-9.

Rom 4:16 Therefore it (justification/imputed righteousness)is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,

This is how I got in.

Rom 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

How could God have made it more plain and simple? These people are unreasonable and illogical and they will come on here and state the same old arguments while ignoring plain statements like the above and answering with out of context verses.

brightfame52

Well there you go. You have found a verse that negates everything in the rest of the scriptures and Ga 3 is no longer relevant. Thank you for being on top of things.
Did you study that passage? Because your understanding of it contradicts other scripture.

brightfame52

In context
John 8:45–50 —KJV
“And because I tell you the truth, ye believe me not.
¶ Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me?
Then answered the Jews, and said unto him, Say we not well that thou art a Samaritan, and hast a devil?
Jesus answered, I have not a devil; but I honour my Father, and ye do dishonour me.
And I seek not mine own glory: there is one that seeketh and judgeth.”

Jesus is explaining why the Jews do not believe him

It is because they are not of God
I found Jn 8 47 in the context!

JDS

Did you study that passage? Because your understanding of it contradicts other scripture.
There is a cross and resurrection between those two passages, plus 20 years. Jesus Christ was not giving the Spirit in John 8. The subject the poster brought up was how and when a sinner received the gift of the Spirit of God. In John 7 Jesus told these people, the Jews, the following words in a loud unambiguous voice, these words.

John 7:37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. (drink is a verb)

38 He that believeth (believe is a verb) on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

What is a man to drink, according to the passage? Is the Spirit he gives, Life, likened unto Water, which gives life in the physical? Do you get it?

39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; (why) because that Jesus was not yet glorified)

Has it ever occurred to anyone to believe the words?

My understanding does not contradict scriptures and you are telling a falsehood.

brightfame52

There is a cross and resurrection between those two passages, plus 20 years. Jesus Christ was not giving the Spirit in John 8. The subject the poster brought up was how and when a sinner received the gift of the Spirit of God. In John 7 Jesus told these people, the Jews, the following words in a loud unambiguous voice, these words.

John 7:37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink. (drink is a verb)

38 He that believeth (believe is a verb) on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.

What is a man to drink, according to the passage? Is the Spirit he gives, Life, likened unto Water, which gives life in the physical? Do you get it?

39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; (why) because that Jesus was not yet glorified)

Has it ever occurred to anyone to believe the words?

My understanding does not contradict scriptures and you are telling a falsehood.
The ones that believed on Christ in Jn 7 39 had been already born of God. Jn 1:12-13 made that clear.

You can't believe in Christ Spiritually without being regenerate of the Spirit because faith is the fruit of the Spirit Gal 5 22.

JDS

The ones that believed on Christ in Jn 7 39 had been already born of God. Jn 1:12-13 made that clear.

You can't believe in Christ Spiritually without being regenerate of the Spirit because faith is the fruit of the Spirit Gal 5 22.
You are too far gone IMO and reason and truth cannot penetrate the darkness. I am sad about that.

Septextura

I'm sure you guys can tackle these as well.

Romans 12:3
For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

2 Corinthians 10
15 Not boasting of things without our measure, that is, of other men's labours; but having hope, when your faith is increased, that we shall be enlarged by you according to our rule abundantly,
16 To preach the gospel in the regions beyond you, and not to boast in another man's line of things made ready to our hand.

Matthew 16
15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Philippians 1
29 For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;

TomFL

No it's yours. It contradicts the overall context of scripture. Hearing Spiritually comes from being born of God Jn 8:47
Sorry nothing in the verse mentions being born again

And you just ignore the fact you cannot be born again unless you first believe

John 5:24 —KJV
“Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.”

John 5:40 —KJV
“And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.”

John 20:31 —KJV
“But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.”

1 Pet. 1:18–23 —KJV
“Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;
But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot:
Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,
Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.
Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.”