Different Roles between Men and Women

civic

In the home, family, marriage and the church. I know this will be very controversial especially in our liberal US and counter culture to everything we see, read and are being taught in our society. But this is Gods word not our culture below.

Genesis 3:6
When the woman saw that the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eyes, and that it was desirable for obtaining wisdom, she took the fruit and ate it. She also gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it.

Genesis 3:13
Then the LORD God said to the woman, "What is this you have done?" "The serpent deceived me," she replied, "and I ate."

2 Corinthians 11:3
I am afraid, however, that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent's cunning, your minds may be led astray from your simple and pure devotion to Christ.

1 Timothy 2:14
And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman who was deceived and fell into transgression

1 Timothy 2:11-15
A woman must quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness. 12 But I do not allow a woman to teach or to exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet. 13 For it was Adam who was first] created, and then Eve. 14 And it was not Adam who was deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a wrongdoer. 15 But women will be [l]preserved through childbirth—if they continue in faith, love, and sanctity, with moderation.

2 Corinthians 11:2-4
I promised you to one husband, to Christ, so that I might present you as a pure virgin to him. 3 But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ. 4 For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the Spirit you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it easily enough.

Strongs
hupotassó: to place or rank under, to subject, mid. to obey
Original Word: ὑποτάσσω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: hupotassó
Phonetic Spelling: (hoop-ot-as'-so)
Definition: to place or rank under, to subject, mid. to obey
Usage: I place under, subject to; mid, pass: I submit, put myself into subjection.

Thayers
Lexicon
STRONGS NT 5293: ὑποτάσσω
ὑποτάσσω: 1 aorist ὑπεταξα; passive, perfect ὑποτεταγμαι; 2 aorist ὑπεταγην; 2 future ὑποταγήσομαι; present middle ὑποτάσσομαι; to arrange under, to subordinate; to subject, put in subjection: to subject oneself, to obey; to submit to one's control; to yield to one's admonition or advice: absolutely,

Gods design for the family and marriage.

Ephesians 5:23-24
For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, His body, of which He is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

Colossians 3:!8
Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.

1 Peter 3:1-2
Wives, in the same way, submit yourselves to your husbands, so that even if they refuse to believe the word, they will be won over without words by the behavior of their wives as they observe your chaste and respectful behavior.

1 Corinthians 11:3
But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

Genesis 3:16
Then he said to the woman, “I will sharpen the pain of your pregnancy, and in pain you will give birth. And you will desire to control your husband, but he will rule over you.

As we see even Christ is under God the Father, the church under Christ, the woman under the man. In the church and the family just as in the Trinity there are different roles/functions that are assigned to each member which involves submission, a subservient role and authoritative roles.

hope this helps !!!

Woody50

Hey! I'm kinda new here, so I'm just wondering if this is a post that was initiated from another thread? I agree with the roles that God gave us, just as the roles that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit have. None are superior.

It just seems that this post is a result of another conversation.

Nice to meet you "well-known" civic.

En Hakkore

I'm kinda new here...
Welcome to CARM.

I agree with the roles that God gave us, just as the roles that the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit have. None are superior.
I'm not quite following how the conclusion "none are superior" follows from your agreement with the thread opener. The biblical texts were written in cultures that were patriarchal in their social structure and this is reflected in their content and prescriptions --- women were to be subordinate to men and younger males subordinate to older males (sons to fathers, for example). My reading of the thread opener is that while this hierarchical arrangement is anathema within our own cultural context (provided the son is not a 'minor'), it is nonetheless 'biblical' and thus those who claim to live according to the Bible's precepts ought to model such in their familial relationships and ecclesial structures. Perhaps a distinction is being made between authority and subordination on the one hand and superiority and inferiority on the other, but that would be splitting hairs.

All that said, interpreting biblical texts correctly within their own historical and cultural contexts is one matter, thinking we ought to pattern our own lives or societies around them is quite another... and I don't endorse the latter, lest it be erroneously implied that I do from what I wrote above. The issue of what (if any) role the Bible does, can or should play in a secular democratic society is a topic best suited for the Society/Ethics/Politics forum.

Again, welcome to CARM...

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Woody50

Jonathan?!? Not the same guy who can't speak German???

You're still so wrong, dude. Missed talking with you (if this is, indeed, the @realEnHakkore).

En Hakkore

Jonathan?!? Not the same guy who can't speak German???

You're still so wrong, dude. Missed talking with you (if this is, indeed, the @realEnHakkore).
I am the real En Hakkore... hopefully no one's been masquerading as me during my latest absence! :mad:
In any case, I'm off for another three weeks... back in the New Year.
Perhaps on my return we can explore what point(s) I am ostensibly wrong about and maybe in the interim I'll make the connection with the first comment so I know whose pleasure I have (again) of corresponding with. My memory apparently isn't what it used to be! :eek:

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Woody50

Enjoy your time off, Jonathan. We've had many agreeable disagreements in the past. Enjoy your three weeks off! Good to hear from you again.

En Hakkore

Enjoy your time off, Jonathan. We've had many agreeable disagreements in the past. Enjoy your three weeks off! Good to hear from you again.
Thanks. Is there any particular disagreement you'd like to agreeably have now that I'm back? :D

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Woody50

Not al all. Good to see an old face. I was Woody13 WAYYYYY back when. You may have seen me as Quickened, though.

En Hakkore

Not al all. Good to see an old face. I was Woody13 WAYYYYY back when. You may have seen me as Quickened, though.
Woody13 does ring a faint bell... Quickened even fainter and maybe I'm even thinking of a different screen name altogether. In any case, I'm sure we'll cross paths soon enough on another topic... enjoy your evening (or morning or afternoon depending on where in the world you are).

Kind regards,
Jonathan

Woody50

I'm sure we will. Maybe it was AlwasOrange?

Doesn't matter. Thanks for the great post on Diane. Talk to you soon.