Dirty-Rag faith...

ReverendRV

Now while he was in Jerusalem at the Passover Festival, many people saw the signs he was performing and believed in his name. But Jesus would not entrust himself to them, for he knew all people. He did not need any testimony about mankind, for he knew what was in each person.
John 2:23‭-‬25 NIV

Is this an example of a Graceless faith? If not, what is it an example of?

Last edited:
Now while he was in Jerusalem at the Passover Festival, many people saw the signs he was performing and believed in his name. But Jesus would not entrust himself to them, for he knew all people. He did not need any testimony about mankind, for he knew what was in each person.

Maybe more like they believed in his name as the coming Messiah to set up the kingdom, as opposed to the Saviour who takes away the sin of the world.

Maybe more like they believed in his name as the coming Messiah to set up the kingdom, as opposed to the Saviour who takes away the sin of the world.
Thanks, you might be right...

Do you think there are two Kinds of Belief then? The Kind where Jesus would entrust himself to one person but not another?

It's not an example of "FAITH" at all "graceless" or otherwise. Nothing more than human curiosity, and appreciation of a "Good Show".

The devil believes; I find nothing in scripture where Jesus entrusted himself to any man.
That's a good point; Jesus doesn't entrust him to the demons. Are you saying you need a verbatim Verse that says Jesus entrusted himself to somebody, to believe that Jesus entrusts himself to people? Why doesn't the antithesis of Jesus 'not' entrusting himself to people, suffice as that Verse? I think his rejection implies he actually entrusts himself to some...

Last edited:
... Are you saying you need a verbatim Verse that says Jesus entrusted himself to somebody, to believe that Jesus entrusts himself to people?
I was speaking in terms of someone who wished to prove that Jesus entrusted himself to somebody; I could have stated it more clearly.

Why doesn't the antithesis of Jesus 'not' entrusting himself to people, suffice as that Verse? I think his rejection implies he actually entrusts himself to some...
Some could claim that 'all men' does not really mean 'all men'; thus, my original statement, "I find nothing in scripture where Jesus entrusted himself to any man."

John 2:24 But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men,

I was speaking in terms of someone who wished to prove that Jesus entrusted himself to somebody; I could have stated it more clearly.

Some could claim that 'all men' does not really mean 'all men'; thus, my original statement, "I find nothing in scripture where Jesus entrusted himself to any man."

John 2:24 But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men,
Okay...

As the OP, I'm not arguing for or against All not really meaning All...

I'm asking why didn't Jesus entrust himself to those who saw his Miracles, and Believed on him? I think we agree there is more than one Kind of Belief?

I'm asking why didn't Jesus entrust himself to those who saw his Miracles, and Believed on him? I think we agree there is more than one Kind of Belief?
He knew the heart of man; I do not think Jesus would entrust himself to man whose heart is desperately wicked.
Jer 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

What does entrust mean? Does it mean to associate with them? Hang out with them? To entrust them as he entrusted the 12?
I looked it up in Commentaries; it means to Trust, but for him to Trust us. Basically, he didn't Trust those people who Believed in him just because they saw his Miracles...

Basically, I think the Belief that Jesus didn't Trust, is the same belief that Traditionalists say will Save you...

Last edited:

It might just be pointing out he didn't have to just take their word for it, he knew.

Basically, I think the Belief that Jesus didn't Trust, is the same belief that Traditionalists say will Save you...
Not sure about Traditionalists; however, it is not that belief is the cause of salvation; rather, the cause of salvation is God who is pleased to save those who believe.

Motive, maybe? Did they believe in him as King to establish new kingdom, or as Saviour to save them from their sins?
I think the Narrative expects us to accept that these people believed in him because they believed his Miracles. The Doctrine of Signs and Wonders says that Miracles are meant to authenticate the person's message. So, is Christ's message to them that 'he was the King of Israel', or that 'he was the coming Messiah'? I don't think Jesus only preached he was the Son of David. I think Jesus mostly preached he was the Son of Man; would you agree?

I wonder why Jesus didn't entrust himself to believers. Why would he ever do that?

Last edited:

Mental assent, or emotional attachment (or both).

Back