Discussion, vs. Socratic "Questions"

Theo1689

Back in the day, discussion forums used to engage in DISCUSSION, and it was productive. You would see discussions like the following:

A: I believe this....
B: I see, but that poses a problem for me because...
A: Yes, I used to see that as a problem too, but then I came to understand that...
B: I don't think that works, because....

There would be a "give and take", with both people endeavouring to understand the other side, and respect the other side, and share and challenge each other's ideas.

Now, it's all about asking "questions", and "YOU NEED TO ANSWER MY QUESTION!"""

Socratic Questions

Now, there is a place for socratic questions. I know, because as a teacher, I use them all the time. My students are mildly annoyed that I don't simply give them the right answer, but they end up learning more as a result.

Teacher and Student

The Socratic method is useful when you have a "teacher-student" paradigm, where the student recognizes the teacher is more knowledgeable, and the student accepts the teacher as such, and respects them and their experience and knowledge.

This is NOT the situation we have in the forums. Everyone has a their own experience, and hopefully has a significant amount of experience studying the Bible and theology. Nobody here is a "teacher" for the others, we are all on equal planes, holding differing views. But unfortunately, too many people come to the forums thinking, "I am the TEACHER, and everyone else who is here is the "student", and they need to learn from me, and any time they disagree with me (subjective), I get to proclaim they're WRONG (objective), because as the self-appointed teacher, I am the only one who gets to determine truth."

Sorry, but nobody here has accepted anyone else as their teacher.
So nobody here gets to categorically say (on their own authority) that others are "wrong".
The closest we can come is to appeal to the authority of the Bible.

Questions?

Too many here have decided that they want to attack the beliefs of others, and don't want to have to defend their own beliefs. So if they share what they believe, that leaves them open to criticism, and most people here are too weak and immature to do that. They don't want their own beliefs seeing the light of day, because that puts them on the defensive.

They would rather "ask questions", which they already think they know the answer to, so that they can get others to share THEIR beliefs, putting the questioner on the offensive, and being able to respond to them, "You are WRONG!!!!" when they give a view they disagree with. They seem to forget (or perhaps to not know in the first place) that "apologetics" means "in DEFENSE of the faith", not "attacking the theology of others"?

So to all others here (especially non-Calvinists), you are NOT my teacher. I agree with Jordan Peterson, and hold to the possibility that I may have something, somewhere, to learn from you, but that doesn't mean that I'm going to blindly accept everything you claim.

And in the same way, I don't claim to be the teacher for anyone here. I have studied the Bible, I hold to a particular set of beliefs, and (just like everyone else), I believe my beliefs are true, otherwise I wouldn't hold them.

If anyone wants to share what they believe, or explain why their particular (A/C) doctrine is true, by all means, this is what the forum is for. But if all you're going to do is "ask questions", especially when you already hold an answer to those questions, then I'm pretty much not going to waste my time. If YOU think YOU have an answer, then YOU share YOUR answer, and then we can discuss things from there.

But simply posting "questions" all day long, as if you were the self-proclaimed "teacher", is a waste of everyone's time.

IMO.

Last edited:

PeanutGallery

Teacher and Student

The Socratic method is useful when you have a "teacher-student" paradigm, where the student recognizes the teacher is more knowledgeable, and the student accepts the teacher as such, and respects them and their experience and knowledge.
Are you implying Calvinism is the teacher, and non-Calvinists are students?

Theo1689

Wow.

You just failed reading comprehension.

I have no idea how you got from "NOBODY here is the 'teacher' ", to "Calvinism is the teacher".

You just demonstrated that you're a troll, so it's back to the "ignore" file you go...

rhomphaeam

This is NOT the situation we have in the forums. Everyone has their own experience, and hopefully has a significant amount of experience studying the Bible and theology. Nobody here is a "teacher" for the others, we are all on equal planes, holding differing views. But unfortunately, too many people come to the forums thinking, "I am the TEACHER, and everyone else who is here is the "student", and they need to learn from me, and any time they disagree with me (subjective), I get to proclaim they're WRONG (objective), because as the self-appointed teacher, I am the only one who gets to determine truth."

That may be the bit you missed!

Cant we all learn from one another? It cannot be a matter of defending our own position for the sake of being a teacher on a forum. It may simply be a matter of being courageous and genuinely figuring out what formal doctrines and beliefs we really do hold to. You may discover your a Calvinist (only kidding). I realise that if I cannot defend my own beliefs then perhaps that may be because I haven't formalised them yet. It happens all the time. Someone always seems to find a word or an idea that I can agree with in principle until I am faced with a need to really examine what I actually believe. Then I can only benefit from the process. That seems especially true when quoting Scripture because then we have to really ground ourselves in Hebrew and Greek and perhaps Latin if you are a Roman Catholic; then we can all learn from one another. Should be worth endorsing such a polemic attitude!

See what I mean? I actually meant gracious!

Last edited: