Do animals go to Heaven when they die?

puddleglum

When a human dies his death does not mean that he ceases to exist. The physical body dies but the immaterial part will exist forever, either in Heaven or in Hell. But what happens when an animal dies? Is that the end of its existence or does some part of it live on?

The most common belief is that humans continue to exist after death because they have souls and animals don’t. There are two things wrong with this belief.

The first error is the belief that only humans have souls. Here is what Baker’s Evangelical Dictionary says:

Nepes in the Old Testament is never the “immortal soul” but simply the life principle or living being. Such is observable in Genesis 1:20, 21, 24, where the qualified (living) nepes refers to animals and is rendered “living creatures.” The same Hebrew term is then applied to the creation of humankind in Genesis 2:7, where dust is vitalized by the breath of God and becomes a “living being.” Thus, human being shares soul with the animals. It is the breath of God that makes the lifeless dust a “living being” — person.

The second mistake is believing that it is because we have souls that we continue to exist after death. This teaching is not found in the Bible.

Genesis 1 tells how animals and humans were created and shows how they are different. On the fifth day he created flying creatures and all life forms that live in water. On the sixth day he created land animals. After he had finished creating animal life he made the first man.

Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.” (Genesis 1:26)

The difference between humans and animals is that we are made in God’s image and they are not.

There was no death in God’s original creation. All animals were vegetarians.

And God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the face of all the earth, and every tree with seed in its fruit. You shall have them for food.And to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the heavens and to everything that creeps on the earth, everything that has the breath of life, I have given every green plant for food.” And it was so. (Genesis 1:29,30)

Genesis 3 tells how Adam sinned and brought death into the world, not only for humans but for all animal life. Because of this animals suffer and die through no fault of their own. Many believe that fairness requires that the experience an afterlife to make up for the suffering in this life. That is certainly true of Christians.

For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison,as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. (2 Corinthians 4:17,18)

I agree with this belief that there must be an afterlife for animals but that is only my opinion and it is not specifically taught in the Bible. There is one thing we can know for sure. Animals cannot sin because God has not given them a knowledge of right and wrong so they will not be punished after they die. We don’t know whether they will be in Heaven but we can be certain that none of them will go to Hell.

Gary Mac

When a human dies his death does not mean that he ceases to exist. The physical body dies but the immaterial part will exist forever, either in Heaven or in Hell. But what happens when an animal dies? Is that the end of its existence or does some part of it live on?

The most common belief is that humans continue to exist after death because they have souls and animals don’t. There are two things wrong with this belief.

The first error is the belief that only humans have souls. Here is what Baker’s Evangelical Dictionary says:

The second mistake is believing that it is because we have souls that we continue to exist after death. This teaching is not found in the Bible.

Genesis 1 tells how animals and humans were created and shows how they are different. On the fifth day he created flying creatures and all life forms that live in water. On the sixth day he created land animals. After he had finished creating animal life he made the first man.

The difference between humans and animals is that we are made in God’s image and they are not.

There was no death in God’s original creation. All animals were vegetarians.

Genesis 3 tells how Adam sinned and brought death into the world, not only for humans but for all animal life. Because of this animals suffer and die through no fault of their own. Many believe that fairness requires that the experience an afterlife to make up for the suffering in this life. That is certainly true of Christians.
The death illustrated in Gen 3 is not about the mortal man it is about the spirit of man. Gods kingdom is SPirit not flesh. The death of Adam that his spirit in carnality is the only way he could have become like God to know this difference, V22.

If every man ever existed didnt die dont you think this planet would be a little over populated because it already is in this present day life.

Gen 3:22 is the result of the carnal mind dying and the spirit mind coing to life. You cant know this difference least you have been in both. Problem in Christiaity they havent expereinced that death to the carnal mind and have not eathe from that knowledge that only God can give. The lie was that you wont die.

Jesus refered to this death of the flesh man and resurrection of the spirit man as born again, which is the message in the cross. No more access to the flesh man in carnality driven by law. That man has to die if he is to be born of God..
I agree with this belief that there must be an afterlife for animals but that is only my opinion and it is not specifically taught in the Bible. There is one thing we can know for sure. Animals cannot sin because God has not given them a knowledge of right and wrong so they will not be punished after they die. We don’t know whether they will be in Heaven but we can be certain that none of them will go to Hell.
An after life? The kingdom of God doesnt come with observation, it is withn you. Luke 17:20-21. This is the part one cant understand least ye die to self, a purging of the mind, empty self, unlearn, everything you were taught by man and be born of God who fills the mind with HJis same knowledge. And that doesnt come from a book, it comes by God Himself be your mind. Even Jesus had to go through that change in Matt 3:16. That is when He met God and His heaven.

puddleglum

If every man ever existed didnt die dont you think this planet would be a little over populated because it already is in this present day life.

No one dies in Heaven and it isn't overpopulated. I am sure God was aware of this problem when he created Adam and Eve and already had a plan to solve it.

Even Jesus had to go through that change in Matt 3:16. That is when He met God and His heaven.

Read the first chapter of John's gospel. Jesus was God even before his incarnation. When he was born he laid aside his deity so he could become one of us but he was still God.

Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.
Philippians 2:5-8

Gary Mac

No one dies in Heaven and it isn't overpopulated. I am sure God was aware of this problem when he created Adam and Eve and already had a plan to solve it.
Heaven is not a place, the kingdom of God doesnt come with observation, it is withn you just as Jesus stated it is in Luke 17:29-21. Heaven or hell is the state of ones being, your mind and how you live it.
Read the first chapter of John's gospel. Jesus was God even before his incarnation. When he was born he laid aside his deity so he could become one of us but he was still God.
1 chapter of John is about you and who are you. it says noting at all about a man being a god or becomg a man. He never has changed and always been SPirit and man is the temple for Him.

As far as Jesus he didnt even know Gods Spirit or His heaven until God came to him by His SPirit and opend up who He is and His heaven to that man. See Matt 3:16. And God does the same in all who will receieve the same from Him Jesus reseiced, Abraham receieved, Moses, 120, all receieved the same from God that Jesus did. And all today receive the same who will.
Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men. And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.
Philippians 2:5-8
As we all do. When you see Him as He really is as Jesus did, ye shall be like Him as well. 1 John 3.

GeneZ

The most common belief is that humans continue to exist after death because they have souls and animals don’t.
Yes... Animals (shown in the Hebrew) were given souls (nephesh) in Genesis 1.

The major difference between man's soul and the animals?

It states that man's soul was uniquely created in the Image of God. Not the animals.

God gave man everlasting life in his soul. Not his body.

Men who believe also receive eternal life. The souls that do not believe, their souls will exist forever in the Lake of Fire. The soul remains everlasting.

In Genesis 1 :26-27, God first "created" the souls of man and woman."

In Genesis 2, the Lord provided bodies for those souls.

The human bodies were nor created in His image. Instead, the Lord took elements out of the dirt and "molded and formed" a lifeless body. A lifeless body awaiting the soul of Adam (that was created in Genesis 1:27) to be breathed into the nostrils. .

Animal souls were never said to be created in God's image. They do not possess everlasting life. That is why God provided them for our food.

Dizerner

They do not possess everlasting life but it is possible that they possess everlasting existence. The Bible says nothing specific about this so all we can do is speculate.

Animals peculiary special to people will be in heaven for their sake, as God even cared about a pet lamb, the cattle in Nineveh, and knows every sparrow that falls to the ground.

Ontos

Do animals go to Heaven when they die?

I don't recall any specific verse(s) that mention animals in heaven - unless someone can quote them for me?

If there are no verses - if the Bible is silent about it - then arguably we should be too...

Dizerner

If there are no verses - if the Bible is silent about it - then arguably we should be too...

I kind of disagree with this interpretation. Not every truth is in the Bible, just no truth will violate the Bible. The Bible teaches God can communicate to people directly, and no where declares that he has completely stopped doing that.

It is not wrong that God can speak to us extra-Biblical things, and I'm not saying we should expect people to necessary accept any claim, there is a such a preponderance of error and people lying out there it does make one cautious.

I personally believe God has spoken things to me and I don't reject certain other's testimonies of experiences wherein is nothing that violates a Biblically received and proclaimed truth, and I do encourage a lot of caution.

I have heard more than one testimony of people seeing visions of their pets in heaven, and knowing the goodness of the character of God, I personally have no reason to get all religiously stuffy and declare it can't be so.

Ontos

I kind of disagree with this interpretation. Not every truth is in the Bible, just no truth will violate the Bible. The Bible teaches God can communicate to people directly, and no where declares that he has completely stopped doing that.

It is not wrong that God can speak to us extra-Biblical things, and I'm not saying we should expect people to necessary accept any claim, there is a such a preponderance of error and people lying out there it does make one cautious.

I personally believe God has spoken things to me and I don't reject certain other's testimonies of experiences wherein is nothing that violates a Biblically received and proclaimed truth, and I do encourage a lot of caution.
I have heard more than one testimony of people seeing visions of their pets in heaven, and knowing the goodness of the character of God, I personally have no reason to get all religiously stuffy and declare it can't be so.

Of course not all truth is in the Bible, but in the case of animals in heaven - what verses are there, even vaguely what verses can justify it? Its certainly not something to excommunicate someone over, but this desire for animals or pets in heaven seems to be putting a bit too much emphasis on the creature and not the Creator.

The joy of heaven is the beatific vision of God, not your pet.

GeneZ

They do not possess everlasting life but it is possible that they possess everlasting existence. The Bible says nothing specific about this so all we can do is speculate.
Everlasting life and "existence" pertains to to the human soul.

Everlasting life = those who will be with God.

Everlasting existence = those in the Lake of Fire.

Gary Mac

Everlasting life and "existence" pertains to to the human soul.

Everlasting life = those who will be with God.

Everlasting existence = those in the Lake of Fire.
Eternity is not a time frame, it is the state of ones being while you are here. Heaven or hell isnt a place you go to and observe it is withn you it is who you are or are not. The kingdom o fGod doesnt come with observation it is withn you. Luke 17:20-21. Not many believe Jesus in that though.

GeneZ

You some here rather that God kept the dinosaurs with us and in heaven as well? Where are the dinosaurs now?

Heaven will have something so far superior that pets today will seem no longer important.

God gave us pets to be a comfort and amusement for us in the Devil's world. There will be no more Devil's world.

Nor, will He give you an automobile in Heaven. Something far superior will be ours.

He will not give us something for out headaches, either.

Wht need to start thinking of the better and fantastically superior world our resurrection bodies will know. If there will be animals? They will not be reincarnations.