Do Atheists Have Faith?

Whateverman

Faith is believing without seeing

Then faith is believing in atoms?
Considering that we can see atoms with the naked eye, no.

Electric Skeptic

Do Atheists Have Faith?​

Depends on your definition. If you are using 'faith' to mean 'belief despite the absence of evidence or in the face of counter evidence', the way it is commonly used by theists, then perhaps. I've known atheists who had faith in various things (one I knew was adamant in his belief in an afterlife, which he freely admitted he held by faith).

However, faith is not required for, necessary for, or implied by atheism.

I am one of many atheists who have no faith.

Lt. Columbo

Considering that we can see atoms with the naked eye, no.

We cannot actually see the atom itself:

"A laser is shone on the trapped strontium atom, and as it absorbs and emits energy, we can see the glow, without actually seeing the atom itself - "

Millions of people believe in atoms without having seen one with the naked eye. I think that indicates a certain degree of faith is involved.

Nouveau

"A laser is shone on the trapped strontium atom, and as it absorbs and emits energy, we can see the glow, without actually seeing the atom itself - "
What do you think it means to see something? Please tell me what you think you can see that doesn't involve your eyes detecting light emitted or reflected by the object seen.

Electric Skeptic

Millions of people believe in atoms without having seen one with the naked eye. I think that indicates a certain degree of faith is involved.
I'm sorry, but you think wrongly. It requires no faith to believe something evidenced.

shnarkle

It's assumed, just like God.

Lighthearted Atheist

The only thing more incomprehensibly incoherent than believing in gods of one's own imagination is in suggesting there could be evidence for them.
There can be evidence. God could appear and speak to us as we test, measure, and record. God could drop manna on the starving children in Africa today and we can see the manna cure hunger and test the manna for caloric content. Jesus could walk across the Mississippi while divers swim underneath and record it.

The fact that there is no evidence does not mean that evidence is not possible.

shnarkle

There can be evidence. God could appear and speak to us as we test, measure, and record.
Pray tell, just how does one measure God? Where are you getting your "Standards for Measurement of the gods Handbook" from???
God could drop manna on the starving children in Africa today and we can see the manna cure hunger and test the manna for caloric content.
That doesn't prove the existence of any gods.
Jesus could walk across the Mississippi while divers swim underneath and record it.
The old joke is where Jesus whispers into Moses' ears and says, "Should we tell them where the rocks are?"

Again, that doesn't prove the existence of any gods. That just shows that there are people who can do unexplainable things. An unidentified flying object doesn't prove there are extraterrestrial life forms anywhere. It just shows that we can't identify or distinguish a frisbee from a plate from China sometimes.
The fact that there is no evidence does not mean that evidence is not possible.
Again, one has to know what one is looking at before they can identity it. How does one identify a word which in many cases is defined to preclude the existence of a referent to begin with?

Lt. Columbo

What do you think it means to see something? Please tell me what you think you can see that doesn't involve your eyes detecting light emitted or reflected by the object seen.
The glow emenating from the atom is not the atom. It's just energy that the atom has absorbed from the source outside of it. Since the only thing you can see in the photograph is the glow, and since the glow is not the atom, you're not actually seeing any part of the atom itself.