Do ONLY angels have wings ???

Prologue: We are comparing Biblical and extra-Biblical ideas about angels and about Jesus ???

AV Ex 25:20 And the cherubims shall stretch forth [their] wings on high, covering the mercy seat with their wings, and their faces [shall look] one to another; toward the mercy seat shall the faces of the cherubims be.

Starter Question: Do ONLY angels have wings, with scripture references ???

Yours in Christ, Michael

TrevorL

Greetings Michael (SDAchristain),
And the cherubims shall stretch forth [their] wings on high, covering the mercy seat with their wings
Starter Question: Do ONLY angels have wings
I believe that Angels do NOT have wings. When they appeared they were sometimes confused as being men. I consider that the Cherubim are symbolic creatures and not Angels. Could you supply a scripture reference where Angels have wings?

Kind regards
Trevor

Greetings Michael (SDAchristain),
I believe that Angels do NOT have wings. When they appeared they were sometimes confused as being men. I consider that the Cherubim are symbolic creatures and not Angels. Could you supply a scripture reference where Angels have wings?
Touché !!!

As of yet in research ...
Scriptures has no references for angel and wing. They do however for cherubim and wing.

My lexicon opinion associated angel and cherubim. I will need to do more research for a proper conclusion.

I am traveling home today, so later for more.

Thanks for your observation !!!

Yours in Christ, Michael

TrevorL

Greetings again SDAchristian,
Scriptures has no references for angel and wing. They do however for cherubim and wing. My lexicon opinion associated angel and cherubim.
I agree with you so far. You may like to have a more thorough consideration of what the Cherubim and Seraphim represent. I would suggest Ezekiel 1 for some aspects of the Cherubim, Isaiah 6 for the Seraphim and also it is interesting that in Revelation 4 we have “beasts” (KJV), “living creatures” (most modern translations) and these are to some extent similar to the Cherubim and Seraphim but have some different features.

Kind regards
Trevor

GeneZ

Prologue: We are comparing Biblical and extra-Biblical ideas about angels and about Jesus ???

AV Ex 25:20 And the cherubims shall stretch forth [their] wings on high, covering the mercy seat with their wings, and their faces [shall look] one to another; toward the mercy seat shall the faces of the cherubims be.

Yours in Christ, Michael
Wings are a sign of rank amongst the angels. Only very few have wings.

TrevorL

Greetings GeneZ,
Wings are a sign of rank amongst the angels.
Could you supply a Scripture to support this claim?
Only very few have wings.
Again could you supply a Scripture to support this claim?

Do Angels need wings to come from heaven to earth? How to they get any sort of motion where there is no air?

Also I find it interesting that SDAchristian inferred that he believed that Angels have wings, and I assume that he is a SDA. Yet my illustrated SDA book "The Desire of the Ages" by EG White depicts Gabriel without wings and also the Angel sitting on the stone at the tomb is shown without wings. Possibly SDAchristian has seen other SDA literature.

Kind regards
Trevor

GeneZ

Greetings GeneZ,

Could you supply a Scripture to support this claim?

Again could you supply a Scripture to support this claim?

Do Angels need wings to come from heaven to earth? How to they get any sort of motion where there is no air?

Also I find it interesting that SDAchristian inferred that he believed that Angels have wings, and I assume that he is a SDA. Yet my illustrated SDA book "The Desire of the Ages" by EG White depicts Gabriel without wings and also the Angel sitting on the stone at the tomb is shown without wings. Possibly SDAchristian has seen other SDA literature.

Kind regards
Trevor
You will find the only angels mentioning having wings are the angels of the highest rank amongst angels. When you read about angels having wings next time, take note of what I just said. You will see. God has an order in His creation. Just like we see a queen bee and worker bees. We have alpha males and beta males.

Wings have nothing to do with traveling from heaven to earth. Their means for travel would dwarf what we see on Star Trek.

TrevorL

Greetings again GeneZ,
You will find the only angels mentioning having wings are the angels of the highest rank amongst angels. When you read about angels having wings next time, take note of what I just said. You will see.
I appreciate your declaration and encouragement to read the Bible, but I have read the Bible and have not found where it says that any Angels have wings. That is why I asked you to support your statement by a Scriptural reference.

What I have found is what I stated earlier, that Cherubim and Seraphim are depicted as having wings. You may disagree, but I consider that these are not Angels, but symbolic creatures. If you consider the description of the Cherubim in Ezekiel 1, they have four faces each, four wings, feet like calves feet, and these are burning, and four of these Cherubim are united in their positions and movements, with outstretched wings touching each other as they move. The Seraphim of Isaiah 6 have six wings, and we are not told what their faces are like, except that in the process two of their wings cover their faces. They interact with Isaiah in the vision of the exalted Lord upon the Throne in the Temple, they praise Yahweh, they fly and purify Isaiah’s lips with coals taken from the Altar of Burnt Sacrifices. The Living Creatures of Revelation 4 have only one face each, and the four have different faces, man, lion, eagle and ox, and they have six wings each. Because of these unique characteristics, I suggest that these are symbolic creatures not real beings.

There are other occurrences of Cherubim, in the Most Holy Place where they are part of the furniture, and elsewhere where they are active, but I suggest that these need to be considered carefully, even if they are Angels enacting the role, or they are only in a vision. Could you please provide the Scriptures that state that some Angels have wings and where does it state or infer that only the higher order of Angels have wings?

Kind regards
Trevor

GeneZ

What I have found is what I stated earlier, that Cherubim and Seraphim are depicted as having wings. You may disagree, but I consider that these are not Angels, but symbolic creatures.
Well then... have a nice day. The Bible says something you are not willing to accept. Happens all the time.

TrevorL

Greetings again GeneZ,
Well then... have a nice day. The Bible says something you are not willing to accept. Happens all the time.
Instead of pontificating (happens all the time), over the next six months you should actually read all of the Bible to determine what the Bible says, and if you find a reference to the Angels having wings, or your unique claim that only higher rank Angels have wings, then you may like to share the reference or references. Perhaps you could shortcut this by looking at a Bible Concordance, or a Bible Dictionary to help you find your supposed references. Have a nice search.

Kind regards
Trevor

Bob Carabbio

Yours in Christ, Michael
Some of 'em have Wheels - Ezek 1

GeneZ

Greetings again GeneZ,

Instead of pontificating (happens all the time), over the next six months you should actually read all of the Bible to determine what the Bible says, and if you find a reference to the Angels having wings, or your unique claim that only higher rank Angels have wings, then you may like to share the reference or references. Perhaps you could shortcut this by looking at a Bible Concordance, or a Bible Dictionary to help you find your supposed references. Have a nice search.

Kind regards
Trevor

Something that is much better than a mere concordance. As taught from the Greek text by a pastor scholar.

Call them up. Tell them what they need to know to take your order.

No money will be asked for.

https://rbthieme.org/orderingandcontactinformation.html

Series number - 457

Subject of series: Angels, Hierarchy of Angels

Revelation (1982)

Lessons 203–217 15 lessons (hours).

TrevorL

Greetings again GeneZ,
Something that is much better than a mere concordance. As taught from the Greek text by a pastor scholar.
No thank you. I could supply a booklet on "Angels do not have wings." I will patiently wait for one or two Bible references in support of your conjecture, but this seems to be singularly lacking as I have yet to encounter in the Bible what you claim. Perhaps if you read your article on Angels and Hierarchy of Angels you could find this(these) elusive Bible reference(s).

Kind regards
Trevor

GeneZ

Which booklet? Is it online? What's the title?

On the other hand... The Greek text when taught from reveals realities that shoot down conjecture. Its why God chose it for the NT.

God also knows. some want to have depth to their grasp and understanding. For them. He raises up a few who will teach on that level.

TrevorL

Greetings again GeneZ,
Which booklet? Is it online? What's the title?
The title is "Do Angels have Wings?" January 1977, and it was written by a neighbour in my street in Sydney Australia. I only have a print copy. It is the only booklet that this neighbour produced to my knowledge.
On the other hand... The Greek text when taught from reveals realities that shoot down conjecture. Its why God chose it for the NT.
God also knows. some want to have depth to their grasp and understanding. For them. He raises up a few who will teach on that level.
I am still waiting for one or two Bible references in support of your conjecture rather than a claim to superior scholarship.

Kind regards
Trevor

GeneZ

Greetings again GeneZ,

The title is "Do Angels have Wings?" January 1977, and it was written by a neighbour in my street in Sydney Australia. I only have a print copy. It is the only booklet that this neighbour produced to my knowledge.

I am still waiting for one or two Bible references in support of your conjecture rather than a claim to superior scholarship.

Kind regards
Trevor
Question: "Do angels have wings?"

Answer:
The most common image of an angel is essentially a human being with wings. This is not biblical. The Bible often presents angels as appearing as human beings. However, this does not indicate that angels in their essence resemble human beings. Further, the Bible very rarely describes angels as having wings. However, there are definitely two types of angels mentioned in the Bible that have wings: cherubim (Exodus 25:20; Ezekiel 10) and seraphim (Isaiah 6). Cherubim and seraphim are two types of angels, possibly the two highest orders of angels. So, this much is clear, some angels do have wings. https://www.gotquestions.org/angels-wings.html

The angels that were mentioned having wings?
They are of higher rank. That is what I have been telling you.

TrevorL

Greetings again GeneZ,
The most common image of an angel is essentially a human being with wings. This is not biblical. The Bible often presents angels as appearing as human beings.
I agree.
Cherubim and seraphim are two types of angels, possibly the two highest orders of angels. So, this much is clear, some angels do have wings.
The angels that were mentioned having wings? They are of higher rank. That is what I have been telling you.
I have already stated that I do not believe that the Cherubim and Seraphim are actual Angels, nor do I accept that they are a higher order of Angels. Michael and Gabriel are not Cherubim or Seraphim, and they are Arch Angels, and possibly no Angel is higher than these two who are prominent in the Scriptures. I consider that the Cherubim and Seraphim are symbolic creatures, and a major factor is that the four Cherubim in Ezekiel 1 have four faces each and four wings, while the four Living Creatures of Revelation 4 have one face each and six wings. The Seraphim of Isaiah 6 have six wings each, and two of these are used to cover their faces. Also as Bob states the Cherubim of Ezekiel 1 also have wheels, part of the figurative or symbolic aspect of the Cherubim.
Some of 'em have Wheels - Ezek 1

Kind regards
Trevor

GeneZ

I have already stated that I do not believe that the Cherubim and Seraphim are actual Angels, nor do I accept that they are a higher order of Angels.
OK.... stay ... Who cares?

The Bible shows one thing. But, the Trevor has spoken!

Do you realize you are denying God's Word?

Its that easy.

TrevorL

Greetings again GeneZ,
OK.... stay ... Who cares? The Bible shows one thing. But, the Trevor has spoken! Do you realize you are denying God's Word? Its that easy.
I find your responses unusual. You have claimed that some Angels have wings, but they are higher order Angels, and that these are the Cherubim and the Seraphim. Throughout you claim that this is the Bible teaching, but you have not advanced one Scripture in support. My position is that the Angels do not have wings, and when they appeared they were sometimes at first mistaken as men in appearance and character. I also suggested on the basis of the unique features and different features of the Cherubim in Ezekiel 1, the Seraphim in Isaiah 6 and the Living Creatures in Revelation 4 that these are not real creatures, they are not Angels, but they are symbolic creatures. To give one clue as to the meaning of these creatures we are told that Jesus is the Lion of the tribe of Judah. He is also depicted in Isaiah 42-53 as Yahweh's Servant. I am still waiting for one Scriptural reference in support of your claims, rather than this typical shallow response.

Kind regards
Trevor

GeneZ

Greetings again GeneZ,

I find your responses unusual. You have claimed that some Angels have wings, but they are higher order Angels, and that these are the Cherubim and the Seraphim. Throughout you claim that this is the Bible teaching, but you have not advanced one Scripture in support. My position is that the Angels do not have wings, and when they appeared they were sometimes at first mistaken as men in appearance and character. I also suggested on the basis of the unique features and different features of the Cherubim in Ezekiel 1, the Seraphim in Isaiah 6 and the Living Creatures in Revelation 4 that these are not real creatures, they are not Angels, but they are symbolic creatures. To give one clue as to the meaning of these creatures we are told that Jesus is the Lion of the tribe of Judah. He is also depicted in Isaiah 42-53 as Yahweh's Servant. I am still waiting for one Scriptural reference in support of your claims, rather than this typical shallow response.

Kind regards
Trevor
You're all over the map and not finding your way home. You keep making claims, while the Bible keeps declaring that certain angels have wings.

Some have four wings, and others six. But, Trevor says that they are not really angels. Trevor alone says that....

Revelation 4:8 -

8 Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around,
even under its wings. Day and night they never stop saying:

“‘Holy, holy, holy
is the Lord God Almighty,’
who was, and is, and is to come.”

:cautious: ..... imagined that!?

The praise for the Lord comes from something not real. and, add to that? Not real, day and night and never stopping.

What is the Lord doing? Perhaps putting in a video and listening to the same recording day and night?

Trevor... something tells me that you stop too soon when taking an idea to its logical conclusion.

grace and peace....