Do you wish abiogenesis never occurred?

I would like to hear what the atheists on this forum would say.

From the perspective that there is no creator and abiogenesis occurred about 4 billion years ago that resulted in all life on Earth today...

So that no life ever evolved on Earth.

P.S.

I am trying to determine "how bad" you think the Earth turned out.

Whether you think the "good" outweighs the "bad" so to speak.

Temujin

From the perspective that there is no creator and abiogenesis occurred about 4 billion years ago that resulted in all life on Earth today...

P.S.

What a ludicrous question.
Good or bad compared with what?

Speaking only for myself, I am very happy to have life at a time when the universe and its secrets are becoming understood. I suspect that we will find that, just as habitable planets are very much more common than was originally assumed, life itself is not uncommon. There are several places in our own solar system, other than earth, where life is possible.

Intelligent life is perhaps another story. We do know it has arisen at least once, so let's celebrate what we have. Wishing it all never happened is perhaps the most pointless idea imaginable.

Whatsisface

P.S.

There is good and bad. I luckily live in a place and time where the good outweighs the bad, others are not so fortunate.

I know you didn't ask this, but because of the bad and the often extreme nature of it, I cannot think there is a loving God.

What a ludicrous question.
Good or bad compared with what?

Speaking only for myself, I am very happy to have life at a time when the universe and its secrets are becoming understood. I suspect that we will find that, just as habitable planets are very much more common than was originally assumed, life itself is not uncommon. There are several places in our own solar system, other than earth, where life is possible.

Intelligent life is perhaps another story. We do know it has arisen at least once, so let's celebrate what we have. Wishing it all never happened is perhaps the most pointless idea imaginable.

So to those who think a creator is behind life as we know it, you would say...

IF there was a creator (which there is not) I would say I was "very happy" with his creation.

Correct?

Whereas a lot of the atheists on here seem to be complaining about all the suffering on Earth to the point it seems they are very unsatisfied with their personal life and life in general IMO.

I would like to hear from the other atheists on this forum as well...

There is good and bad. I luckily live in a place and time where the good outweighs the bad, others are not so fortunate.

I know you didn't ask this, but because of the bad and the often extreme nature of it, I cannot think there is a loving God.

But you seem to think God did a decent job.

Since you seem to be okay with what was created.

(I realize you do not believe God created it, this concerns IF he had.)

P.S.

It is interesting to me that you all are taking this more personal than I would have imagined.

Because stopping abiogenesis does not just cancel YOUR one life. It would cancel ALL life on Earth.

You seem to be evaluating the value of ALL life based on how YOUR life has turned out.

So try not to be so self-centered and see if you would give another answer to the question... :)

Nouveau

An omnipotent God should not be patting Himself on the back for managing to produce something that is marginally more good than bad.

I'm glad life has evolved, but I don't give God a passing grade for a world with malaria and cancer.

Whatsisface

But you seem to think God did a decent job.
I think God a reasonable job with us but could do better. I think God did a terrible job with disease and natural disaster.
Since you seem to be okay with what was created.

(I realize you do not believe God created it, this concerns IF he had.)
I'm not ok with disease etc.
P.S.

It is interesting to me that you all are taking this more personal than I would have imagined.
Am I?
Because stopping abiogenesis does not just cancel YOUR one life. It would cancel ALL life on Earth.

You seem to be evaluating the value of ALL life based on how YOUR life has turned out.

So try not to be so self-centered and see if you would give another answer to the question... :)
I am evaluating the way others lives have turned out.

I wish that there was a God and I would live forever. But what I might wish for is at odds with what I see as reality.

An omnipotent God should not be patting Himself on the back for managing to produce something that is marginally more good than bad.

I'm glad life has evolved, but I don't give God a passing grade for a world with malaria and cancer.

But you wouldn't have stopped it either.

I have often had atheists argue that although God may not have done this or that, since he could have stopped it and didn't he is ultimately to blame.

Well you say you wouldn't cancel life as we know it either, even though it includes so much suffering.

So you are no more loving than the God who you say is not loving.

Nouveau

I have often had atheists argue that although God may not have done this or that, since he could have stopped it and didn't he is ultimately to blame.

Well you say you wouldn't cancel life as we know it either, even though it includes so much suffering.

If God's only options were no life, or life plus cancer and malaria then you'd have a point. But those were not His only options.

I am more loving than God, because if I had his power to create life without disease and suffering then I would have done so.

Authentic Nouveau

Here you are, your people blame Mother Nature.

If God's only options were no life, or life plus cancer and malaria then you'd have a point. But those were not His only options.

I am more loving than God, because if I had his power to create life without disease and suffering then I would have done so.

And if YOUR only choices are "no life, or life plus cancer and malaria", you choose life plus cancer and malaria.

So cancer and malaria are not "bad enough" to cancel the good of life.

And I agree.

Just as Christians think the suffering in this world is part of developing character...

You likely see the suffering in this world as a necessary part of natural selection.

Correct?

Romans 5:3-4... Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.

Nouveau

And if YOUR only choices are "no life, or life plus cancer and malaria", you choose life plus cancer and malaria.

And I agree.
Sure but they're bad enough to show God to be either non-existent or evil. God could have chosen life-plus-disease or life-without-disease, and He chose the former.

Just as Christians think the suffering in this world is part of developing character...
You likely see the suffering in this world as a necessary part of natural selection.
Correct?
I'd say it's a consequence of an uncaring godless universe where life has to struggle to survive.

Electric Skeptic

P.S.

What a very strange thread.

Whateverman

P.S.

I'm glad you clarified, because I now understand where you're coming from with this question. I was about to reply based on a misunderstanding (of your OP) that I don't hold abiogenesis to be the cause of life on this planet. It's a possible cause, yes, but I'm nowhere near ready to assume it happened.

So, assuming that abiogenesis was the source of life on this planet, my answer is No. I don't wish that it'd never happened.

There's a lot of bad on this planet, but a lot of good as well. Even if the planet was 100% chock-full of badness/evil (which would be near impossible), I still wouldn't wish that life never emerged on it. That's not for me to judge, and especially-so given that I'm only aware of a tiny tiny tiny almost infinitesimally-small portion of the life (and its associated goodness/badness) on it.

If life emerges somewhere, that's morally-neutral.

I might have opinions about specific living things, but not on life as a whole.

Tiburon

P.S.

Are you asking Do I wish I'd never been born?

Tiburon

And I agree.

Correct?

Romans 5:3-4... Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.
What is the point of developing character?

Tiburon

So, I who would accept a less than perfect life over none at all, having no power to make it otherwise, am less loving than a supposedly all powerful God who chose to make the world as it is.