Does a saved person break the word of wisdom?

brotherofJared

I thought this was an interesting question. My reply went something like this:

Vaping has nothing to do with the word of wisdom. The GAs could vape for all I care, it's not going to affect their salvation one way or the other. It might affect everyone else's, but not theirs.

I don't believe keeping the word of wisdom has anything to do with being saved. It's not even a commandment. It is a qualification to enter the temple. That's it. It does come with some social pressures. The person who smells like alcohol or cigarettes is likely to feel uncomfortable in church. He certainly isn't going to be a role model of a good Mormon. And I think they all understand that, but even so, it's not a sin.

Magdalena

Vaping has nothing to do with the word of wisdom. The GAs could vape for all I care, it's not going to affect their salvation one way or the other. It might affect everyone else's, but not theirs.

I don't believe keeping the word of wisdom has anything to do with being saved. It's not even a commandment. It is a qualification to enter the temple. That's it. It does come with some social pressures. The person who smells like alcohol or cigarettes is likely to feel uncomfortable in church. He certainly isn't going to be a role model of a good Mormon. And I think they all understand that, but even so, it's not a sin.
I once heard a Mormon prophet say that drinking a cup of coffee won’t keep you out of the celestial kingdom, but the act of disobedience will.

Fenuay

I read that the barring of tea and coffee and cigarettes came from Emma. When the men would gather at Joseph's home to meet they would drink coffee, tea and smoke. Emma was the one left to clean all the mugs, ashes and cigar and cigarette stubs. Apparently shortly after she complained about that Joseph had the revelation not to use those things.

Fenuay

One thing I will say is that without obeying the word of wisdom, as you said, you are ineligible to go to the temple and receive your endowments and make covenants. For most Mormons this is unthinkable. It is a big part of Mormon belief and life. So I think the WoW is very important for LDS. So I wouldn't say "that's it" regarding it.

Magdalena

I read that the barring of tea and coffee and cigarettes came from Emma. When the men would gather at Joseph's home to meet they would drink coffee, tea and smoke. Emma was the one left to clean all the mugs, ashes and cigar and cigarette stubs. Apparently shortly after she complained about that Joseph had the revelation not to use those things.
I read that too. She didn’t like them spitting chewing tobacco on her floors either.

brotherofJared

For most Mormons this is unthinkable.
I don't know how you qualify most Mormons. But I believe the number of recommend holders is less than have of the church, so, obviously, it isn't unthinkable for most Mormons. ;)
It is a big part of Mormon belief and life. So I think the WoW is very important for LDS. So I wouldn't say "that's it" regarding it.
Well, the point of the OP was that vaping isn't in the word of Wisdom and even if it was, the word of wisdom is not a requirement for salvation.

Magdalena

I don't know how you qualify most Mormons. But I believe the number of recommend holders is less than have of the church, so, obviously, it isn't unthinkable for most Mormons. ;)

Well, the point of the OP was that vaping isn't in the word of Wisdom and even if it was, the word of wisdom is not a requirement for salvation.
But obedience is a requirement.

Magdalena

What does the Mormon church say about vaping?

Bob Carabbio

And obviously the LDS doesn't even have the FOGGIEST NOTION what a "Word of Wisdom" (1 Cor 12:8) even is. Just more of their absolute theological garbage.

Theo1689

The person who smells like alcohol or cigarettes is likely to feel uncomfortable in church. He certainly isn't going to be a role model of a good Mormon. And I think they all understand that, but even so, it's not a sin.

I find this response amusing, for the reasons below.

Magdalena gave a link to an article about the LDS position on vaping. In that article, it made the general statement:

"The Word of Wisdom is a law of health for the physical and spiritual benefit of God’s children."

Well, if it's "a law of health", why doesn't it address the obesity problem in Mormonism? Or is obesity not considered a "problem"?

In his comments, BoJ claims "the person who smells of alcohol or cigarettes is likely to feel uncomfortable in church". How does BoJ know what another person is "likely to feel"?

And if a smoker is "likely to feel uncomfortable in church", wouldn't an obese person likewise feel uncomfortable in church?

brotherofJared

What does the Mormon church say about vaping?
That looks like an opinion to me. It says that church leaders have made it clear... but I don't have any of that. What church leader and what exactly did they make clear?

Again, the question is, a requirement for what? Salvation? No. Temple entrance? Well, my understanding is that it's the understanding of the Bishop, stake president, and the interviewee. If they don't see it as a problem, then it isn't.

brotherofJared

Magdalena gave a link to an article about the LDS position on vaping. In that article, it made the general statement:
It's not a sin. Perhaps you should read what the Word of Wisdom actually says. I would like to point out that it is a "word of wisdom", not a commandment.

brotherofJared

Why?
Is it because they would know that all Mormons are good for is judging others?
I don't know, I guess it could be because that's what other people do, just like what you all continually do about what I believe. Vaping is not anymore a sin in our church than is smoking a cigarette or drinking a cup of coffee. But you all seem to be willing to judge that it is. So, it seems we have the pot calling the kettle black. :rolleyes:

Theo1689

It's not a sin.

Do you always argue against positions that people have never said?

Perhaps you should read what the Word of Wisdom actually says.

Perhaps YOU should read what other posts say, before errantly responding to them.

I would like to point out that it is a "word of wisdom", not a commandment.

Perhaps YOU should read your own church's website:

"God has revealed the Word of Wisdom as a commandment for the physical and spiritual benefit of His children."

(But let me guess.... You're going to claim that the church is wrong, and you, and anonymous Internet poster, who claims to be LDS, is right?

Am I close?
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: