Does anyone have empirical evidence that empirical evidence is the only valid evidence for a belief?

If so, please present that evidence in your reply. Make sure it is empirical in nature. If not, and you hold that belief, please explain why you do so, when in fact you have no empirical evidence to support that belief?

Torin

It depends what you mean by empirical. I think introspection is a good reason to believe there are no inputs to my mind other than the senses (if there are any, I sure don't notice them). The anatomy of the brain doesn't indicate any special hidden faculties, either, and people who claim to have such special hidden faculties disagree profoundly with each other. Presumably the senses are the only source of justification, then.

Thoughts?

The Pixie

If so, please present that evidence in your reply. Make sure it is empirical in nature. If not, and you hold that belief, please explain why you do so, when in fact you have no empirical evidence to support that belief?
What else have you got? Do you think hearsay is better? How about uninformed opinion?

Or that favourite of the theist, wishful thinking, perhaps?

Whateverman

No, I have no "empirical evidence that empirical evidence is the only valid evidence for a belief", because that's a stupid idea/claim. Everyone obviously gets through life without having empirical evidence for every single thing they believe.

The sticking point - one which you're obfuscating - is that empirical evidence is the most effective kind of evidence when Person A is trying to convince Person B that A's belief is correct/true/valid.

Gus Bovona

Even better, I've heard that there is empirical evidence that empirical evidence that empirical evidence is the only valid evidence. When I find that, I'll let you know.

Even better, I've heard that there is empirical evidence that empirical evidence that empirical evidence is the only valid evidence. When I find that, I'll let you know.

Thank you for the humorous and reductio ad absurdum example further bolstering the implicit generically absurd but not so humorous nature of the oft heard atheistic proposition mentioned in the OP.

Furion

I have examined your question, it is empircal evidence a question was asked.

I am looking for empirical evidence that an answer was provided.

I am atheistic on it, I see no empirical evidence to believe they have provided one, or have any answer at all.

Gus Bovona

Thank you for the humorous and reductio ad absurdum example further bolstering the implicit generically absurd but not so humorous nature of the oft heard atheistic proposition mentioned in the OP.
I'm only posting here to tell you, Stig, that we could have a conversation about this topic, and your view of the topic would not go unchallenged, but because you shown me that you're not being intellectually honest on this topic, I'm not going to engage with you on it.

And, ironically, I could show you empirically how you've not been intellectually honest, but I have no confidence that even that conversation would go well.

I'm not happy about this state of affairs, but it has to be that way, at least for me.

Whateverman

I'm only posting here to tell you, Stig, that we could have a conversation about this topic, and your view of the topic would not go unchallenged, but because you shown me that you're not being intellectually honest on this topic, I'm not going to engage with you on it.

And, ironically, I could show you empirically how you've not been intellectually honest, but I have no confidence that even that conversation would go well.

I'm not happy about this state of affairs, but it has to be that way, at least for me.
I admire the people here who are more patient-with and tolerant-of this kind of behavior than I am. Kudos to you, Gus.