Does anyone remember a Catholic poster on here years ago

Bonnie said:
Compare them to what the Bible actually says, then pray to God in Christ Jesus to have one's heart opened up to understand and believe.
What you really mean to say compare it to what I actually say the Bible means.

JoeT
what my teachers usually say is - read it for yourself. find a good bible teacher to help you. someone who will take you thru scripture and tie in OT with NT, teach the timelines and other basics. it won't be a catholic, mormon, jw or anyone who teaches words of men that aren't supported by scripture.

That's the only way to account for the myriad interpretations that are out there.
Including the myriad of different RC interpretations, in fact, RCs are unable to understand the bulk of scriptures because they have not been official interpreted by their bad tree. I mean that is extremely sad, especially as their leaders have made bad interpretations from some very dicey sources.

That's the only way to account for the myriad interpretations that are out there.
Then why does Paul tell Timothy to study the bible in order to be able to 'accurately handle the word of truth?'

2Tim 2:15
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

What we are never told is to submit to the infallible magesterium. Because there is no such thing.

What gives you that authoritative certainty that all of us are corrupted but your church isn't? Who declared that that makes you so certain of it?
Jesus. We are commanded to expose error.

All one need do is compare what your church has taught in its many man-made teachings over the centuries to what the Bible actually teaches. So many things are not found:

Indulgences, praying to saints dead in the Lord; Mary's PV and IC; Mary as queen of heaven; being subject to the pope is necessary for salvation; purgatory--the list goes on.

Last edited:
Jesus. We are commanded to expose error.

All one need do is compare what your church has taught in its many man-made teachings over the centuries to what the Bible actually teaches. So many things are not found:

Indulgences, praying to saints dead in the Lord; Mary's PV and EC; Mary as queen of heaven; being subject to the pope is necessary for salvation; purgatory--the list goes on.
It is no wonder that the RCC is so rabidly anti sola scriptura. Listen closely, and you will hear the hiss of "You will be like God", and "All thisss I will give you..."

--Rich
"Esse quam videri"

Then why does Paul tell Timothy to study the bible in order to be able to 'accurately handle the word of truth?'

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

What we are never told is to submit to the infallible magesterium. Because there is no such thing.
The NT authors speak of an authoritative hierarchy who teach and judge error and orthodoxy as a given. We see that with the authority of the college of Apostles. The authority of the Council of Jerusalem. Peter speaks of the nature of a hierarchy

1 Peter 5 5 Now as an elder myself and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, as well as one who shares in the glory to be revealed, I exhort the elders among you 2 to tend the flock of God that is in your charge, exercising the oversight, not under compulsion but willingly, as God would have you do it, not for sordid gain but eagerly. 3 Do not lord it over those in your charge, but be examples to the flock. 4 And when the chief shepherd appears, you will win the crown of glory that never fades away. 5 In the same way, you who are younger must be subject to the elders.[c] And all of you must clothe yourselves with humility in your dealings with one another, for “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.”

Hebrews likewise...

Heb 13 17 Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls as those who will give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with sighing, for that would be harmful to you.

I have to believe that somewhere in this universal faith, there is that sort of authoritative teaching authority as spoken of as significant by the writers. It's going outside of scripture to ask us to believe that that just disappeared abandoned for an each to his own opinion church.

The NT authors speak of an authoritative hierarchy who teach and judge error and orthodoxy as a given. We see that with the authority of the college of Apostles. The authority of the Council of Jerusalem. Peter speaks of the nature of a hierarchy
He doesn't speak of a pope or the rcc or what it teaches.

1 Peter 5 5 Now as an elder myself and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, as well as one who shares in the glory to be revealed, I exhort the elders among you 2 to tend the flock of God that is in your charge, exercising the oversight, not under compulsion but willingly, as God would have you do it, not for sordid gain but eagerly.
Peter claims to an elder, not a pope.

that isn't the rcc way.

3 Do not lord it over those in your charge, but be examples to the flock.
the rcc leadership is not a good example.

4 And when the chief shepherd appears, you will win the crown of glory that never fades away.
rcc's should be very concerned about this.

5 In the same way, you who are younger must be subject to the elders.[c] And all of you must clothe yourselves with humility in your dealings with one another, for “God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.”
do you suppose that includes those who claim their words are higher than His? that their words should be obeyed instead of His?

Hebrews likewise...

Heb 13 17 Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls as those who will give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with sighing, for that would be harmful to you.
still only have that 1 vs in Hebrews?

I have to believe that somewhere in this universal faith, there is that sort of authoritative teaching authority as spoken of as significant by the writers.
there is and He is a gift given to those who are His thru the rebirth.

It's going outside of scripture to ask us to believe that that just disappeared abandoned for an each to his own opinion church.
yes, it would be. that's what catholics do by believing what the rcc teaches.

He never abandons those who are His. believers don't 'each' have their own opinion of what is His truth. His truth is found in His word.

AMEN! This is precisely why Paul told Timothy what he said in 2 Tim. 2:15.

A Christian philosopher, by the name of Gordon Clark, very wisely wrote, "Since God is truth, a contempt for truth is equally a contempt of God."

A Christian Philosophy of Education; Trinity Foundation, 1988; pg.158

Back