Does Calvinism Teach Soul Sleep

Reformedguy

You are the one who stated 'dumb reasoning', I'm asking for clarification as to what statement was made that was considered 'dumb reasoning'.
It's dumb because there is no reasoning. Obviously or you would be explaining it. No Calvinist believes in soul sleep. Unless you can name one.

G

guest1

@JDS you have completely misrepresented my beliefs in just the same way you misrepresent scripture.

Dead as in a corpse means the corpse cannot respond to stimuli.

I said nothing about the soul / spirit of man after death.

Get your facts straight for once.

hope this helps !!!

JDS

@JDS you have completely misrepresented my beliefs in just the same way you misrepresent scripture.
I have not misrepresented your beliefs. It is not my fault if you are full of inconsistencies so please do not blame me.
Dead as in a corpse means the corpse cannot respond to stimuli.
Exactly. It is the soul that is cognizant. Do not conflate the body and the soul. The soul is always self aware. Connection with the body only gives the person ability to function in the physical realm.

Did it ever occur to you that fallen angels, who are spiritual creatures, cannot operate in the physical. Since the flood, search the scriptures and find one instance where Satan or any of his angel host has ever done a single physical thing. You will not find it. Our battle with demons is in the mind. The best they can do is to usurp a body as Satan did with Judas on crucifixion eve and will do with the future appearance of the man of sin. They can not move a small pebble out of the middle of the road.
The soul of man is spiritual. It will need to be reunited with the body to function in the physical realm.

The "soul" that sinneth, it shall die. It means it will be separated from the body and from God in hell. It does not mean what ill read and ill informed Calvinists says about the soul being unable to think and reason and decide. That position is ludicrous. You should stop teaching the nonsense.

I said nothing about the soul / spirit of man after death.

Get your facts straight for once.

hope this helps !!!
You made enough comments for me to know you are confused.

Good angels:

13 But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool?
14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?

Last edited:
G

guest1

I have not misrepresented your beliefs. It is not my fault if you are full of inconsistencies so please do not blame me.

Exactly. It is the soul that is cognizant. Do not conflate the body and the soul. The soul is always self aware. Connection with the body only gives the person ability to function in the physical realm.

Did it ever occur to you that fallen angels, who are spiritual creatures, cannot operate in the physical. Since the flood, search the scriptures and find one instance where Satan or any of his angel host has ever done a single physical thing. You will not find it. Our battle with demons is in the mind. The best they can do is to usurp a body as Satan did with Judas on crucifixion eve and will do with the future appearance of the man of sin. They can not move a small pebble out of the middle of the road.

The "soul" that sinneth, it shall die. It means it will be separated from the body and from God in hell. It does not mean what ill read and ill informed Calvinists says about the soul being unable to think and reason and decide. That position is ludicrous. You should stop teaching the nonsense.

You made enough comments for me to know you are confused.

Good angels:

13 But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool?
14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?
nekros: dead

Original Word:
νεκρός, ά, όν
Part of Speech: Adjective
Transliteration: nekros
Phonetic Spelling: (nek-ros')
Definition: dead
Usage: (a) adj: dead, lifeless, subject to death, mortal, (b) noun: a dead body, a corpse.

3498 nekrós (an adjective, derived from nekys, "a corpse, a dead body") – dead; literally, "what lacks life"; dead; (figuratively) not able to respond to impulses, or perform functions ("unable, ineffective, dead, powerless," L & N, 1, 74.28); unresponsive to life-giving influences (opportunities); inoperative to the things of God.

You really are unable comprehend a thing regarding the meaning of nekros. dead means unable to respond to stimuli. Lazarus was a corpse(dead) in the tomb for 4 days and why don't you try and communicate with a corpse that is dead for several days and tell us how that conversation goes jds.

The rest of your trash belongs in the garbage so I will not talk about it since it is nothing but another rant of yours.

Reformedguy

Original Word:
νεκρός, ά, όν
Usage: (a) adj: dead, lifeless, subject to death, mortal, (b) noun: a dead body, a corpse.

3498 nekrós (an adjective, derived from nekys, "a corpse, a dead body") – dead; literally, "what lacks life"; dead; (figuratively) not able to respond to impulses, or perform functions ("unable, ineffective, dead, powerless," L & N, 1, 74.28); unresponsive to life-giving influences (opportunities); inoperative to the things of God.

You really are unable comprehend a thing regarding the meaning of nekros. dead means unable to respond to stimuli. Lazarus was a corpse(dead) in the tomb for 4 days and why don't you try and communicate with a corpse that is dead for several days and tell us how that conversation goes jds.

The rest of your trash belongs in the garbage so I will not talk about it since it is nothing but another rant of yours.
It's the dumbest thing I have ever read.

JDS

Original Word:
νεκρός, ά, όν

Every funeral you go to testifies that the body is unable to respond. It also testifies, and you know this, that the soul is no longer present in the body.

G

guest1

Every funeral you go to testifies that the body is unable to respond. It also testifies, and you know this, that the soul is no longer present in the body.
And when did I ever say otherwise?

JDS

It's the dumbest thing I have ever read.
All I can say is that you must not have read things that the Calvinists are saying. Apparently, the teaching is that while a person is physically alive his soul is dead since he cannot respond to God, or anything that pertains to God. But, when he dies physically, his body can no longer function but the soul now has abilities. We know the soul has abilities to reason because Abraham and the rich man, who had died and went to hell, had a conversation in which the rich man appealed to the mercy of God through Abraham to save his 5 brethren who were still alive on earth. He knew they must repent to be saved from that awful place. Jesus himself told this story.

I am wondering what could be dumber than to teach that a sinner can not hear the gospel being preached from another man and believe it and be saved,, when that is the exact method that whereby he is saving sinners. Answer, nothing.

21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

You would read that to say God has chosen the foolishness of preaching to save them that are elect because dead men cannot hear.

G

guest1

@JDS you have a series comprehension issue as we do not believe what you have said as it’s nothing but a strawman.

JDS

@JDS you have a series comprehension issue as we do not believe what you have said as it’s nothing but a strawman.
Why can't a sinner hear and understand the provision that God has made for sinners through Jesus Christ and believe it? You can give me the short answer if you like.

JDS

Spiritually dead. It has nothing to do with the soul. You are a ignoramus. I say that with all Christian charity.
What does it have to do with? What does it mean to be spiritually dead? You may quote a verse or two to put me on the right track of understanding if you like.

brightfame52

All I can say is that you must not have read things that the Calvinists are saying. Apparently, the teaching is that while a person is physically alive his soul is dead since he cannot respond to God, or anything that pertains to God. But, when he dies physically, his body can no longer function but the soul now has abilities. We know the soul has abilities to reason because Abraham and the rich man, who had died and went to hell, had a conversation in which the rich man appealed to the mercy of God through Abraham to save his 5 brethren who were still alive on earth. He knew they must repent to be saved from that awful place. Jesus himself told this story.

I am wondering what could be dumber than to teach that a sinner can not hear the gospel being preached from another man and believe it and be saved,, when that is the exact method that whereby he is saving sinners. Answer, nothing.

21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

You would read that to say God has chosen the foolishness of preaching to save them that are elect because dead men cannot hear.
The Elect regenerate are the ones who hears Spiritually the voice/call of Christ in the Gospel.