Does Calvinism Teach Soul Sleep

G

guest1

I am a he and you know it because I have told you before. I suspect you are a he as well.

I don't know what nekros means because I speak English and I surely am not as wise as you. I do know how death is defined in the English scriptures, but if you have other worldly wisdom, it is ok with me. I accept that I will never be on your level.
Oh I thought you were an actual Bible student who knew the definition of biblical words such as the word “ dead” from the Greek word “ nekros “.

JDS

Oh I thought you were an actual Bible student who knew the definition of biblical words such as the word “ dead” from the Greek word “ nekros “.
Sorry, nope. I doubt that dead means something different in Greek than it does in English. What do you think?

JDS

Okay. I think this thread is about done now. I started it because it seemed to me as I spoke with the best Calvinists on the board that they taught some form of soul sleep. One must admit that a soul who cannot reason and understand God when he uses words in his bible, words that we use every day and that a 5th grader would have no trouble comprehending, that soul must be suffering from some sort of mental blockage from an outside source. Maybe numb is a better word than sleep but something is going on in Calvinist theology. They glory in telling us that they did not have enough gumption (I am trying to be nice) to understand an invitation to believe the gospel and be saved. They just assume the rest of the world is that challenged. It is one thing to be in a mental state where you can't reason things out but it is something else when one makes that a point to glory in.

I was reading on another thread where someone was trying to reason with a hyper Calvinist and said to him that the scriptures state that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved. It was shocking to read the response. Yes, he answered, we Calvinists believe that but no one has the power to call on the name of the Lord.

This makes whosoever a limiting word.

So, my conclusion. After the comments on this thread it seems to me that Calvinists are very unsure of the doctrine of the soul of man. If one reads the whole thread he will see that all of them were very careful to refrain from commenting about it. It has occurred to me that some of them might even believe the body and the soul are the same since they attempt to advance the idea that a dead physical body typifies spiritual death.

I plan to search on line for a MacArthur sermon on the soul and see what he has to say about it.