Does God change...His mind?

squirrelyguy

What is the explanation for the fact that Scripture says in many places that God changes His mind?

It's an anthropomorphism, we are told. It's similar to how the Bible speaks of "the arm of the Lord" as if God has arms.

But the more I think about it, the more this explanation just doesn't do justice to the text. For one thing, we use anthropomorphisms as a metaphorical way of expressing something true. In the case of "the arm of the Lord", the expression is a metaphor for the ability of the Lord to get things done. If "changing His mind" is an anthropomorphism, then what is it a metaphor for? The disconnect here is that whereas arms are a physical feature, the mind is not. It's easier for us to see arms as a metaphor when it comes to God because even though God has no form, we know that arms represent the ability to get things done. But even if God does not have literal arms, are we to believe that He doesn't have a literal mind?

Secondly, is it even true that God has no physical form? The Bible speaks of God walking in the garden, of allowing Moses to see His back (for if he saw the Lord's face, he would die), of of course manifesting Himself in the flesh in the person of Jesus Christ. We are said to be made in the image of God, which surely signifies that our physical form corresponds to God's own form. What else is an image?

It seems to me that the anthropomorphism argument falls short of explaining the logical problems entailed by taking the text at face value.

What is the explanation for the fact that Scripture says in many places that God changes His mind?
My people, remember now What Balak king of Moab planned And what Balaam son of Beor answered him,
So that you might know the righteous acts of the Lord. Micah 6:5

"When He has blessed, I cannot revoke it." Num 23:9-20​

And their seed shall be known among the nations as the people which the Lord hath blessed. Isaiah 6:9

And they will speak of the glory of Your kingdom. Psalm 145:11-13

Yours, O Lord, is the greatness, The power and the glory The victory and the majesty;
For all that is in heaven and in earth is Yours; Yours is the kingdom, O Lord, And You are exalted as head over all. 1 Chron 29:11

The Glory of the Messiah’s Reign
And men shall be blessed in Him; All nations shall call Him blessed.
Blessed be His glorious name forever!
And let the whole earth be filled with His glory.
Amen and Amen. Psalm 72 NKJV

Last edited:

It's an anthropomorphism, we are told. It's similar to how the Bible speaks of "the arm of the Lord" as if God has arms.

But the more I think about it, the more this explanation just doesn't do justice to the text. For one thing, we use anthropomorphisms as a metaphorical way of expressing something true. In the case of "the arm of the Lord", the expression is a metaphor for the ability of the Lord to get things done. If "changing His mind" is an anthropomorphism, then what is it a metaphor for? The disconnect here is that whereas arms are a physical feature, the mind is not. It's easier for us to see arms as a metaphor when it comes to God because even though God has no form, we know that arms represent the ability to get things done. But even if God does not have literal arms, are we to believe that He doesn't have a literal mind?

Secondly, is it even true that God has no physical form? The Bible speaks of God walking in the garden, of allowing Moses to see His back (for if he saw the Lord's face, he would die), of of course manifesting Himself in the flesh in the person of Jesus Christ. We are said to be made in the image of God, which surely signifies that our physical form corresponds to God's own form. What else is an image?

It seems to me that the anthropomorphism argument falls short of explaining the logical problems entailed by taking the text at face value.
Many do not understand God's mind correctly, metaphysical world is not perfect, the purpose was for us, humans, improve it and make it more just on basis of agape, positive intentions, that is why God changes or adjust plans. Image of God comes from "Spirit and Truth"
principle. Only way to communicate with God is by entering God's Own realm in our spirit, kind of shamanic way.

Many do not understand God's mind correctly, metaphysical world is not perfect, the purpose was for us, humans, improve it and make it more just on basis of agape, positive intentions, that is why God changes or adjust plans. Image of God comes from "Spirit and Truth"
principle. Only way to communicate with God is by entering God's Own realm in our spirit, kind of shamanic way.
Many do not understand that to have Gods Spirit is to have His mind. Spirit = mind. Ant to walk in it as He walks in it comes only one way and that is a renewing of the mind to think in His terms.

In Matt 3:16 is the perfect example for how man receives from God How and what He thinks. Jesus didnt know Gods mind at all until God came to him and opened to him who He is and all of His heaven in that man, and we are not exempt from the very same revelations.

Jesus referred to this change of mind as born again to be like the Father of it.

And a cloud came and overshadowed them; and a voice came out of the cloud, saying, “This is My beloved Son. Hear Him!” 8 Suddenly, when they had looked around, they saw no one anymore, but only Jesus with themselves. mark 9:1-8
God came to him and opened to him who He is and all of His heaven in that man, and we are not exempt from the very same revelations.
But we did not follow cunningly devised fables when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of His majesty. 17 For He received from God the Father honor and glory when such a voice came to Him from the Excellent Glory: “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” 18 And we heard this voice which came from heaven when we were with Him on the holy mountain.
19 And so we have the prophetic word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; 20 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation 21 for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. 2 Peter 1

Most dont have a clue how to communicate with God as Jesus did.

Most dont have a clue how to communicate with God as Jesus did.
“Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift all of you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail.
And when you are converted, encourage your brothers.” Luke 22:31-33

When Peter was set free, he said, Now I know for certain that the Lord has sent His angel and has delivered me...
Peter said, “Tell James and the other brothers and sisters about this,” Acts 12:11,17

“Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift all of you as wheat. But I have prayed for you, Simon, that your faith may not fail.
And when you are converted, encourage your brothers.” Luke 22:31-33
I would say the same of you but in your current state of agnosticism that would have to go.
When Peter was set free, he said, Now I know for certain that the Lord has sent His angel and has delivered me...
Peter said, “Tell James and the other brothers and sisters about this,” Acts 12:11,17
Wen one is set free from the law as Jesus was set free from the law in Matt 3:16, only then can one know for certain who God is and all of His heaven and who we are in it just as Jesus knew for certain when he was converted from Judaism in Matt 3:16 to the kingdom of God.

I would say the same of you but in your current state of agnosticism that would have to go.
Wen one is set free from the law as Jesus was set free from the law in Matt 3:16, only then can one know for certain who God is and all of His heaven and who we are in it just as Jesus knew for certain when he was converted from Judaism in Matt 3:16 to the kingdom of God.
Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 1:9

Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 1:9
That is what I keep telling you but because His ways as you just read is gnostic lies for you you dont know the son nor the Father, let alone be like them by the same mind be in you who was in Christ Jesus of the Father. See Matt 3:16, this is when GHod opens to him who He is. You just refuse to recieve the same is all in favor of your own rules directed by sin.

JonHawk said:
That is what I keep telling you ...
What fruit did you then reap from your gnostic lies?
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Rom 6:23

His mind, the mind of Christ, a mind that is anointed of God. So was Jesus Gods anointed for we have the same mind of Christ. Something that you should at least consider from Him instead of calling Him a liar.
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Rom 6:23
You should read that sinner!

Something that you should at least consider from Him instead of calling Him a liar.
Do you mean, Gary Mac: "I reject redemption through Christ"
No thanks!
You should read that sinner!
"That is why you will die in your sins."

God tells us that he changed his mind? Its so that He won't confuse the heck out of us.

Those who complain about this issue? They would have much more to complain about if God simply punished someone without showing the reason why, by not even giving man a chance to disobey. Just SLAM! SQUISH! And.. "GOOD BYE!"

What could we learn from that?

God knows how to teach in getting His point across according to how we can and will understand things.
He will appear to take on our ways to illustrate His ways, so that His ways are to be known by us.

I believe God does change His mind on some things but this is known in His foreknowledge. But His foreknowledge is analogous, although in a miraculous way, to a mirror reflection that doesn't influence us although we see it.

I would also say God has a preferred form He occasionally appears as within creation, maybe preferred by nature although He otherwise has no form. Although I would say His hand or arm spoken of in isolation is generally a metaphor. It may be we are in that image in some way but I would say it includes God's emotions in some way.

this refers to His nature. He created eden for us and has not changed His mind to return to us what was lost.

He gets angry when the evil realm interferes and tries to thwart our return.
a very interesting topic referring to His attributes.
not anthropomorphisms… at all. but true that a metaphor refers to a reality. problem is that scholars reject eden is in the other world, so any transcendent meanings get ignored.
Secondly, is it even true that God has no physical form?
He has a gorgeous being just as christ and each of us will be restored to (which we lost because of the fall.)
The Bible speaks of God walking in the garden, of allowing Moses to see His back (for if he saw the Lord's face, he would die), of of course manifesting Himself in the flesh in the person of Jesus Christ. We are said to be made in the image of God, which surely signifies that our physical form corresponds to God's own form. What else is an image?
yes…

Last edited:
I believe God does change His mind on some things but this is known in His foreknowledge. But His foreknowledge is analogous, although in a miraculous way, to a mirror reflection that doesn't influence us although we see it.
God arranges when need be to appear to change his mind.

Its done because of how appearing to change his mind will effect humans (and angels) whom God wants to cause a change in their thinking.

God must approach men in ways that men can relate to when God wishes to cause a change in man.

Yet, one other thing holds true.

When God says something he has done for a man is to be forever? His mind will never change on that.

I am wondering why this factor seems to upset some.

God does not fake things or lie
or rearrange
and is not double minded
nor intentionally appears to be

it seems that way only when man has misunderstood His Words
and speculates from the natural mind

All the supposed evil done to sodom was in the other world.

and was not evil. It was Good.

as an example.

why?

because of what that realm DID to us
who God loves

and who He protects from those Horrid Monsters.

Back