Does God know the difference between good and evil?

He doesn't know good and evil. He is good. Only God is good.
That does not preclude Him from knowing good and evil. You have not proven otherwise. He plainly states in Genesis 3:22 He does know good and evil. His righteousness precludes Him from knowing experientially so two questions are begged: 1) how does He know, and 2) how does the lack of experiential knowledge not compromise His claim of omniscience?

And you are NOT showing up for that conversation.

You're projecting.
Posts prove otherwise.

Everyone currently in this thread is using scripture more than you, better than you, and more topically than you. That's not an opinion; it's an objectively verifiable fact. You've also denied He knows good and evil, having asserted a series of false dichotomies. This too is objectively verifiable by anyone and everyone reading the posts' actual contents.

God plainly states in Genesis 3:22 He does know good and evil. His righteousness precludes Him from knowing experientially so two questions are begged: 1) how does He know, and 2) how does the lack of experiential knowledge not compromise His claim of omniscience? This is very op-relevant.

lol.

No, in cloning it is a copy of knowledge.
Where did I say otherwise?
You've got the order reversed.
I beg to differ.
My clone may have a record of all my knowledge but none of my actual experience.
I'm not suggesting it ever experienced any of the information that was copied to the new clone. Moreover, it is no longer your information or knowledge as it was given to the clone just prior to the death of the original. When the original is dead, it no longer possesses anything.

The question then becomes, who are you, and what makes you who you are? Is it the knowledge that was copied? If that's the case, then you are nothing more than an accumulation of information, and the transhumanists are on the right track. If you are not information, then that's not what you are, but this still doesn't answer the question of who you are.

That does not preclude Him from knowing good and evil.
That's neither here nor there due to the fact that you are still just assuming this to be the case, and assumptions are not proofs, evidence or arguments.
You have not proven otherwise.
I don't have to prove otherwise. I'm not the one making these assumptions. In fact, I'm pointing out that the simple definition of words precludes this as a possibility.
He plainly states in Genesis 3:22 He does know good and evil.
NO. He doesn't. Why are you ignoring my refutation? Address it or concede the point because this repetitiveness is getting old fast.
His righteousness precludes Him from knowing experientially
Word salad. What is experienced is known AFTER the fact.
so two questions are begged: 1) how does He know, and 2) how does the lack of experiential knowledge not compromise His claim of omniscience?
I couldn't agree more!!! LOL. These are explicitly what you're doing. You're begging the Question, and now that you've admitted it, you've conceded the point.
I don't show up for logical fallacies. Thanks for showing up, but you just conceded the debate. If you'd like to address my refutations, be my guest, but I'm not wasting any more time with you ignoring my posts and pretending that this advances the discussion in any meaningful way.

And you haven't a clue what you're talking about.
We're on a wild goose chase. A pointless tangent.
I am not different. I am more. I am not a clone. I am who and what I have always been plus more.
Saying it doesn't make it so. Here's the proof:

Different Phases of Cell Cycle​

The cell cycle consists of two phases namely

• Interphase refers to a phase which is between two successive m phases and here the cell prepares itself for cell DIVISION. It is a phase in which the cell DUPLICATES its organelles and REPLICATES its genetic material. Interphase constitutes off more than 95% duration of the whole cell cycle.
  • M-phase or Mitosis is the phase where the actual cell DIVISION occurs; in this phase the cell divides its DUPLICATES constituents and forms identical daughter cells.

Interphase​

Interphase is said to be the most active stage of the cell cycle.

• The G1 phase implies the interval between mitosis and the initiation of DNA REPLICATION. Here in this phase, most of the organelles DUPLICATION occurs.
  • G0 phase is the phase in which the cell remains metabolically active but does not start to REPLICATE until they are asked to do so.
  • S phase is a phase in which the synthesis or REPLICATION of DNA takes place.
  • G2 phase is the second gap phase between S and M phases. Mitochondria, Chloroplast and Golgi bodies DUPLICATE in this phase.

Here's the definition of clone:

clone
[klōn]

NOUN
biology

1. an organism or cell, or group of organisms or cells, produced asexually from one ancestor or stock, to which they are genetically identical.
Biblically speaking (since this is a Christian discussion in a Christian discussion board being had at least in part by Christians) my existence is eternal, I will eventually be transformed from being corruptible and mortal to being incorruptible and immortal. I will always be Josh; I was knit together by God and my name is written in the lamb's book of life for all eternity. I will never not be Josh.

Not a clone. Not a copy.
See above.
Let me recommend a pair of readings for you. First, try "The Emperor's New Mind" by Roger Penrose and then the trilogy by Francis Schaeffer.
Read them all years ago. In a nutshell, you should note that Schaeffer's claim to historicity flies in the face of Christ's own claims that it is not history that sets one free, but the truth.
For the record, we're not in a postmodern world. We're in a post-postmodern world.
So what?
We also live in a world of ten or eleven dimensions where on the quantum level it is quite possible for two or more things to occupy the same space at the same time. Shouldn't surprise Christians to learn this. The Bible has been teaching this in its own way since the beginning.

You're also losing track of your own op.
Not really. I'm just bored so I go with the flow. You're the one who is going off on these wild goose chases. I'm just enjoying this pointless ride.
God does know the difference between good and evil.
Saying it doesn't make it so.
He knows all things, but the infinite Creator is not bound by the limits of the finite creature when it comes to knowing. It is a presuppositional mistake to anthropomorphize God.
So perhaps you might want to stop doing that as assuming God is restricted by epistemologies rather than being omnipresent is getting a bit silly.

@shnarkle It doesn't always know it's dreaming which is the point you keep ignoring.
Not ignoring. Just positing facts you're not ready to accept. :) I'll leave you to your belief.
False. You can take an individual cell, and place it into a petri dish hooked to a monitor and see it produce electrical impulses. Scientists have added minute doses of cocaine, and found that this single cell will (without ANY suggestions from any brains) begin to produce these electrical impulses more often to be rewarded with more cocaine.
Uh huh.

Yep, and they say this because the body can continue to live without the brain.
No, as you omitted what I said about life support none the less the body cannot continue to live without the brain unless there is support to make its life sustaining organs function. Lungs, heart, etc...

Not necessarily. There are plenty of examples of people who are brain dead, and still alive without any external means sustaining them. They are commonly referred to as "vegetables".
Actually, patients in a vegetative state have suffered some sort of brain damage. While they're not necessarily on life support because the hypothalamus and brain stem continue to function.

There are a number of tests that have been done where electrodes are hooked to a subject's brain and stomach. They're then presented with images and told to click a "like" or "dislike" after seeing each image flashed upon a screen in front of them. What they discovered is that the stomach produces the first electrical impulse which travels to the brain to tell the brain to click the "like" or "dislike" button.
Then you're making the point the patient is not brain dead.

The bible points out this same empirical fact as well.
The alleged "empirical fact" you stated above? (There are a number of tests that have been done where electrodes are hooked to a subject's brain and stomach. They're then presented with images and told to click a "like" or "dislike" after seeing each image flashed upon a screen in front of them. What they discovered is that the stomach produces the first electrical impulse which travels to the brain to tell the brain to click the "like" or "dislike" button.) Prove it.

Where did I say otherwise?

I beg to differ.

I'm not suggesting it ever experienced any of the information that was copied to the new clone.
Then it is neither knowledge nor the clone's.

YOU brought up the clone issue. YOU said what I was talking about was cloning when in fact that is completely erroneous and YOU have not provided a scintilla of evidence what I was talking about is cloning or that a clone possesses any knowledge.

And you're getting further and further and further afield of your own op AND things I and others are bringing to bear upon it.

One last try:

God says He possesses a knowledge of good and evil and the knowledge Adam possessed in the post-disobedient state is like God's; he had become "like one of use," and yet we both agree God does not possess an experiential knowledge of good and evil, especially not where He has disobeyed Himself.

Genesis 3:22 says God possesses a knowledge of good and evil.

How does God know good and evil as the post-disobedient Adam and Eve knew good and evil? And what scripture(s) reports that position?

Given the agreed upon point He has never acted in a disobedient manner, how does the lack of experiential knowledge not compromise His claim of omniscience?

Yes, what?
Yes, God is Satan. God is Jesus. God is You. God is Me. All things are both of and from God. As verses in both Old and New Testaments tell us. And there is none other than God, no other creator, no Savior but God. When God is the source for all that is, was, or shall be, there is no thing that exists that cannot be of and from God.
The Father does not beget himself. Again, Paul distinguishes between God and Christ, the father and the son, and the origin and the means in 1 Corinthians 8:6, and these distinctions negate the possibility of the father begetting himself because Paul points out that the father begets the son just as the origin begets the means, and Christ comes from God.
The Bible of the Christians says otherwise. Luke 1.

Except that he wasn't known as Emmanuel. He was given the name Jesus, and that is how he was known.
No, he was known as Yeshua, because Yeshua (Joshua) is Hebrew. And he was called Emmanuel because God told Mary that was to be the name by which he was called. A name that upon hearing it would inform all who did hear whom they were meeting. It was a matter of prophecy that all temple attending Jews would have known well before Emmanuel was born.
Isaiah 7:14 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us. shall call.

Matthew 1:23
“Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel” (which means, God with us).

And this has nothing to do with the OP. There are plenty of topics dealing with the divinity of Jesus. Making this claim has nothing to with this OP. It is a pointless distraction.
When you're speaking of God to Christians you're speaking of Jesus/Emmanuel/Yeshua. Who was divine because he was God.
You shall not distract us from the scriptures or the facts of God's anointed.

Amen.

But it is bigger than the brain. Through the process of mitosis everything we experience eventually gets recorded in every cell of our body. It takes about four years for every cell in the body to be replaced. With each "cycle" of replacement the entire body has a record of the individual's experience. Not just brain cells. Skins cells, too. Spleen cells. Synovial membrane cells. Eyeball cells. Chromosomes. In other words, knowledge becomes part of our being unawares and it becomes such at a cellular level. Changes everything we thought we knew about epistemology. Classical conversations are antiquated.
Puts a whole new slant beyond, you are what you eat. ;)
You are what you think, what you've lived.
That the body regenerates itself over different periods of years, depending upon what organ we're talking about, is also fascinating.
Essentially, we appear to have been created to live as long as those in Biblical times. Sadly, "modern culture" has insured that's not going to happen.

We're on a wild goose chase. A pointless tangent.
No, you just don't understand the point.

Genesis 3:22 says God possesses a knowledge of good and evil. You say that's not so. Scripture is correct and you are wrong.
1. an organism or cell, or group of organisms or cells, produced asexually from one ancestor or stock, to which they are genetically identical.
We are learning that is not entirely true. You need to update your knowledge. Not only are the two cells NOT identical but they are different in many ways. One example, which might be easier for you to grasp, is the fact that errors creep in. No two replicating cells are identical. They are similar, not identical.
So perhaps you might want to stop doing that as assuming God is restricted by epistemologies rather than being omnipresent is getting a bit silly.
Never said any such thing.
Read them all years ago. In a nutshell, you should note that Schaeffer's claim to historicity flies in the face of Christ's own claims that it is not history that sets one free, but the truth.
Since Schaeffer never said historicity nor history sets one free, I do not believe you ever read Schaeffer.
Not really. I'm just bored so I go with the flow.
Thank you for your time.

Genesis 3:22 says God possesses a knowledge of good and evil. You've said that is not so.

Genesis 3:22 says God possesses a knowledge of good and evil and Adam's post-disobedient knowledge of good and evil is like God's, but God has never disobeyed Himself. How then can He have a non-experiential knowledge of good and evil? Given his lack of experience, how then can any claim of omniscience be made. God is not human, nor is He in any way limited by the many, many limitations within which we live. Among the differences are the lack of distinction between ontology and epistemology and we should not in any way anthropomorphized God. Along with the above this op is built on a series of logical fallacies that include but are not limited to red herrings, straw men, false causes, false equivalencies, false dichotomies, and non sequiturs, and some plain old factual falsehoods.

Genesis 3:5
"For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."

Just because satan is the father of lies does not mean everything he says is a lie. The biggest lies are often those of half-truths. In the case of knowing good and evil, God Himself said,

Genesis 3:22
Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil...."

God knows good and evil. He also knows the difference between the two.

Puts a whole new slant beyond, you are what you eat. ;)
You are what you think, what you've lived.
That the body regenerates itself over different periods of years, depending upon what organ we're talking about, is also fascinating.
Essentially, we appear to have been created to live as long as those in Biblical times. Sadly, "modern culture" has insured that's not going to happen.
Yes, one of the great mysteries of biology is given the ability of the cells to both heal and replicate why does anyone die? There's research happening now tying childhood traumas to autoimmune disease, as well as research showing significant correlations (no causation provable yet) in generational transmission of both psychiatric and autoimmune disease.

The body keeps score.

If this is true it radically informs the doctrines of original sin :unsure:.

Yes, one of the great mysteries of biology is given the ability of the cells to both heal and replicate why does anyone die? There's research happening now tying childhood traumas to autoimmune disease, as well as research showing significant correlations (no causation provable yet) in generational transmission of both psychiatric and autoimmune disease.

The body keeps score.

If this is true it radically informs the doctrines of original sin :unsure:.
I would agree. (original sin)

I was thinking of childhood vaccinations. Many were at one time issued before the newborn was 18 months of age. Yet, 18 months is how long it takes the average newborns immune system to fully develop.

I'm new so forgive my question out of ignorance of membership here. Do we know if shnarkle is a Christian? I wondered because of how it appears they argue against scripture quite often.
Forum rules prohibit content that in any way goes off-topic or in any way speaks negatively of a poster. It happens but it is always best to keep the posts about the posts and not the posters. You'll understand if I refrain from answering that question. In most cases a SARM member's avatar can be clicked to visit their profile page where most include a little information about themselves. Folks are going to find out one way or another, so I encourage everyone to post a little about themselves on their terms.

Regardless of eternal disposition, this op is seriously flawed, both scripturally and logically and the ensuing non-conversation wanting.

Not ignoring. Just positing facts you're not ready to accept. :) I'll leave you to your belief.

Uh huh.

No, as you omitted what I said about life support none the less the body cannot continue to live without the brain unless there is support to make its life sustaining organs function. Lungs, heart, etc...

Actually, patients in a vegetative state have suffered some sort of brain damage. While they're not necessarily on life support because the hypothalamus and brain stem continue to function.

Then you're making the point the patient is not brain dead.

The alleged "empirical fact" you stated above? (There are a number of tests that have been done where electrodes are hooked to a subject's brain and stomach. They're then presented with images and told to click a "like" or "dislike" after seeing each image flashed upon a screen in front of them. What they discovered is that the stomach produces the first electrical impulse which travels to the brain to tell the brain to click the "like" or "dislike" button.) Prove it.
I did the research. All you've proven is that you're just here to troll these forums. I'll leave you to it.

Then it is neither knowledge nor the clone's.

YOU brought up the clone issue.
I was responding to your tangent.
YOU said what I was talking about was cloning when in fact that is completely erroneous
Says you.
and YOU have not provided a scintilla of evidence what I was talking about is cloning or that a clone possesses any knowledge.
I most certainly did. I provided a detailed explanation of the process of cell division along with the definition of cloning. There is no effective difference.
And you're getting further and further and further afield of your own op AND things I and others are bringing to bear upon it.
I'm simply replying to your posts. You're the one who decided to go on a wild goose chase, not me.
One last try:
Repeating yourself after having your posts easily refuted isn't trying.
God says He possesses a knowledge
Correction, he explicitly states that Adam knows good and evil like "one of us" Your assumption that "one of us" must necessarily be referring to God doesn't cut it.
How does God know good and evil as the post-disobedient Adam and Eve knew good and evil? And what scripture(s) reports that position?
You're still begging the question. The OP contends that God doesn't know the difference between good and evil, and no one has presented ANY evidence that he can. You've just presented a passage that states "one of us" possesses some sort of knowledge of good and evil. 'One of us' is much more likely to be referring to Satan than to God. You have yet to refute this point, much less even address it. Obviously you have no intention of addressing this point so you've conceded the point. Begging the Question doesn't cut it. It's a logical fallacy.
Given the agreed upon point He has never acted in a disobedient manner, how does the lack of experiential knowledge not compromise His claim of omniscience?
Because as I pointed out already, whatever is experienced is KNOWN, and Omniscience doesn't refer to what is known, but to the faculty itself. It is exclusively with regards to the faculty, i.e. "ALL-knowing". All means all. It doesn't mean knowing as well as what is known.

No, you just don't understand the point.
Your opinion is duly noted and dismissed.
Genesis 3:22 says God possesses a knowledge of good and evil. You say that's not so. Scripture is correct and you are wrong.

LOL. Genesis 3:22 has God pointing out that Adam knows something like "one of us" which you are assuming must be some sort of reference to God. It isn't. it's pretty vague.
We are learning that is not entirely true.
No. We're not.
You need to update your knowledge.
No. I don't. You need to address the subject of this OP.
Not only are the two cells NOT identical but they are different in many ways. One example, which might be easier for you to grasp, is the fact that errors creep in.
Not necessarily, and for the purpose of this OP, it really doesn't matter to begin with. I'm getting tired of your pointless tangents so return to the topic or accept the fact that you've conceded the points presented.
No two replicating cells are identical. They are similar, not identical.
For all practical intents and purposes, they're identical. If not, then you are not identical to who you were just over five years ago.
Never said any such thing.
I stand corrected. What you actually pointed out was that somehow the ontological reality is diminished somehow without God's intellect. Of course this is also a double standard to your point about anthropomorphic representations of God.
Since Schaeffer never said historicity nor history sets one free, I do not believe you ever read Schaeffer.
Schaeffer's thesis revolves around the historical evidence of Christ. Q.E.D. This is the foundation of his beliefs.
Thank you for your time.
You're welcome.
Genesis 3:22 says God possesses a knowledge of good and evil. You've said that is not so.
Correct. What it says is that God says that Adam has become like "one of us". God doesn't say that Adam has become like God. Big difference.
Genesis 3:22 says God possesses a knowledge of good and evil
No. it doesn't. The rest of your post is based upon this false assumption so it is irrelevant
we should not in any way anthropomorphized God.
Great, then let's not anthropomorphize God into having an intellect that knows the difference between good and evil.
Along with the above this op is built on a series of logical fallacies that include but are not limited to red herrings, straw men, false causes, false equivalencies, false dichotomies, and non sequiturs, and some plain old factual falsehoods.
Unlike you, I've presented all the relevant evidence to prove your logical fallacies. Saying I've presented any logical fallacies is not proof.
Genesis 3:5
"For God knows that in the day you eat from it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."

Just because satan is the father of lies does not mean everything he says is a lie.
Uh, yeah, it kinda does mean that's exactly what it means. Satan father's lies. He doesn't father any truths whatsoever. He's the father of lies, not some lies and some truths.
The biggest lies are often those of half-truths.
Half truths are not the truth.
In the case of knowing good and evil, God Himself said,

Genesis 3:22
Then the LORD God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil...."

God knows good and evil.
Non Sequitur, and Begging the Question. Nowhere does God state that he knows good and evil. He explicitly states that "the man has become like ONE OF US". You assume "one of us" is equivalent to God. It isn't. You have to prove that assumption. It does not follow that "one of us" is equivalent to God.
He also knows the difference between the two.
No. He doesn't, and you're insistence on restating baseless claims ad infinitum only spotlights that you have nothing to refute my position. Thanks for sharing your baseless opinions, but your posts are going nowhere.

Back