Does man have a free will ?

No I didn't claim knowledge of a thing is causing the thing. In science complete 100% predictability doesn't cause the event, it simply demonstrastes causality is in play.
This seems to suggest that foreknowledge and self determinism aren't mutually exclusive propositions. Predestination and self determinism may also not be mutually exclusive propositions.

the Prodigal son
coming to his senses about his condition wallowing in pig filth
decided to seek the forgiveness of his father
who not only rejoiced in his wayward son's change of mind
but then blessed him with more than he deserved

Depends on how you define self determination.
Why would we need to come up with a new definition? What's wrong with the commonly accepted definition of self determinism?

Self determinism: "a doctrine that the actions of a self are determined by itself"

I tend to think in simple terms on most matters. Regarding free will for men, it is limited by many things.
Most importantly, unregenerate men's freewill is limited 'Godward'. This requires God to act 'manward'.
:cool:

Whether free will is limited, or not, does not change the fact it is still free will.

Free will isn't defined as the freedom to do anything but the freedom to make choices.
Limited example---a bear cannot choose to be an eagle. He is a bear and his nature is not that of an eagle.
He could feather up and still not be able to fly.

For clarification
There doesn't seem to be anything to clarify. I posted the definition of self determinism, and you want clarification on self determination. It is your task to elaborate on this subtle distinction you're making, and the reasons for making it. If you see feel some other definition is more appropriate, it is up to you to provide clarification, not me.

Does man have a free will?

Yes of course - free will is simply the ability to choose and man exercises that power nearly every second of his life.
A man does not choose what he was born to choose any more than a fish is given the choice to swim. A babe does not choose to suckle at her mother's breast. A heterosexual man does not choose to marry a woman instead of a man. They are born that way. They have no choice in the matter. There is no power in choosing what you were created to choose. The power comes in choosing what you were not created to choose which is why Satanism is so popular.

There doesn't seem to be anything to clarify. I posted the definition of self determinism, and you want clarification on self determination. It is your task to elaborate on this subtle distinction you're making, and the reasons for making it. If you see feel some other definition is more appropriate, it is up to you to provide clarification, not me.

A man does not choose what he was born to choose any more than a fish is given the choice to swim. A babe does not choose to suckle at her mother's breast. A heterosexual man does not choose to marry a woman instead of a man. They are born that way. They have no choice in the matter. There is no power in choosing what you were created to choose. The power comes in choosing what you were not created to choose which is why Satanism is so popular.
What would be a choice you were not created to choose and how would you know ?

Back