Does Philemon 1:14 Prove Mans Will Is Free... From God?

Sketo

Do you have a point ?
I want to believe we have found some common ground here!
That is the point.

I want to destroy a long standing wall between all of us!
I hate that it took this long to find common ground! (If we have... I hope.)
I don’t want to be your enemy!
And I don’t want you to be mine!

This is not an attack. This is simply my opinion.

I do not like the term “freewill” because it carries the connotation that there is no limit on the will at all. I think you, as well as I, can agree that the will is not “free” in the sense that there is no limits at all on it which, in my opinion, makes the phrase “freewill” misleading.

Would you agree that many, if not most, who use this term, today, do not even consider the fact that “free” does not mean completely free without any limits at all, but this is the connotation it carries in the world today.

This is my opinion but I believe this is the main difference between your Soft and their Hard Libertarian Freewill. I believe, at least in this point, you are closer to the truth than they are. The HLF-ers use the term “freewill” to mean “choose other than” which connotes complete freedom with no limits at all!

But your SLF-ism by definition rightly denies this implication by stating that the “character” sets the limit for the will...
...but the title “Soft libertarian Freewill” still carries the connotation simply by the phrase “freewill” in it.

This is still my opinion but I believe you would be better off distinguishing your definition from theirs, not by changing “hard” to “soft” but changing “freewill” to “voluntary will” instead!

At least “Libertarian Voluntary Will”, as a title, could take at least one brick out of the wall.

I don’t believe the word “voluntary” carries the same connotation as the word “free”!

That’s simply my opinion though!
What are your thoughts?

T

TomFL

I want to believe we have found some common ground here!
That is the point.

I want to destroy a long standing wall between all of us!
I hate that it took this long to find common ground! (If we have... I hope.)
I don’t want to be your enemy!
And I don’t want you to be mine!

This is not an attack. This is simply my opinion.

I do not like the term “freewill” because it carries the connotation that there is no limit on the will at all. I think you, as well as I, can agree that the will is not “free” in the sense that there is no limits at all on it which, in my opinion, makes the phrase “freewill” misleading.

Only if you understand it that way. No one believes in a hard (unlimited) free will. Those who do believe in fre will affirm a soft or limited free will

There are things and circumstances where one may not be free. Yet there are things we do every day where we are free to select among options ; to partake or not partake

Would you agree that many, if not most, who use this term, today, do not even consider the fact that “free” does not mean completely free without any limits at all, but this is the connotation it carries in the world today.
Only among those whose theology tends towards theistic determination

This is my opinion but I believe this is the main difference between your Soft and their Hard Libertarian Freewill. I believe, at least in this point, you are closer to the truth than they are. The HLF-ers use the term “freewill” to mean “choose other than” which connotes complete freedom with no limits at all!

But your SLF-ism by definition rightly denies this implication by stating that the “character” sets the limit for the will...
...but the title “Soft libertarian Freewill” still carries the connotation simply by the phrase “freewill” in it.

Its only a word. The bible speaks of it therefore it cannot be denied. However as previously noted one must then examine what it entails- what are its limits; what is possible and what is not

This is still my opinion but I believe you would be better off distinguishing your definition from theirs, not by changing “hard” to “soft” but changing “freewill” to “voluntary will” instead!
Possibly but there already is an existing body of terminology along with an understood meaning and it is commonly understood that the freewill spoken of is soft, I know of no one who believes man has a hard unlimited free will

At least “Libertarian Voluntary Will”, as a title, could take at least one brick out of the wall.

I don’t believe the word “voluntary” carries the same connotation as the word “free”!

That’s simply my opinion though!
What are your thoughts?
Well it could be helpful for those whose backgrounds seems to reflexively react negatively to the term and for advocates of it to be better understood