Does the LDS church teach that men can evolve into a God?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I can't reply to images.
He just gave you a chart dilineating the differences between the Mormon Jesus and the Christian Jesus. You are certainly capable of comparing or contrasting what was posted. Is what he posted in error? If so, how? and the "I bear you my testimony" schtick doesn't count as an answer.

He just gave you a chart dilineating the differences between the Mormon Jesus and the Christian Jesus. You are certainly capable of comparing or contrasting what was posted. Is what he posted in error? If so, how? and the "I bear you my testimony" schtick doesn't count as an answer.
Answer already given, wasting time.

Then how could the NT church leaders teach things which you consider heretical--for centuries, IE--men could become gods?
Why did you truncate my quote? Why do you refuse to acknowledge ALL of what the ECFs wrote about this, that Theo has quoted to you umpteen times, that puts what they wrote in proper perspective? Are the ECFs the Bible? Which should be the litmus test for true doctrines--the ECFs or the BIBLE?

Then how could the NT church leaders teach things which you consider heretical--for centuries, IE--men could become gods?

Well, actually, that's YOUR problem, not ours....'

1) Why do you have to run away from SCRIPTURE (Deut. 4:35,39, Deut. 32:39, 1 Kings 8:60, Ps. 86:10, Isa. 44:6,8, Isa. 45:5,21,22, Isa. 46:9, Mark 12:32, 1 Cor. 8:4, etc. etc) which teaches that ONLY ONE GOD exists?

2) How could the NT church leaders teaching things which YOU consider heretical--for centuries, IE that ONLY ONE GOD EXISTS?:
- "There is but one God: the impossibility of its being otherwise" -- Irenaeus;
- "Therefore there is but one God," -- Lactantius;
- "this Trinity is not three Gods, but one God;” -- Augustine

3) Explain to us why is it that when the ECF's teach "faith alone", they're wrong,
when they teach "only one god exists", they're wrong,
when they teach "sola Scriptura", they're wrong,
but when you think they teach "men becoming gods", suddenly you think they're divinely inspired? Why the blatant double standard here?

4) It has been explained to you OVER and OVER and OVER again, that the ECF's weren't teaching the idea of "deification", but simply that God would give us the attributes of (1) immortality, (2) incorruptibility, and (3) impassibility. That's IT.

You can quote from and reply selectively to text, but not to an image, except in a convoluted and time wasting way. My experience with him is that he is not interested in engaging in discussion. He just wants to make announcements and pronouncements, so he prefers to post images rather than type text. Even when he is replied to, he ignores the reply, and continues to post the same image over and over as if nothing had happened. That should not be allowed. It should be against board rules to do that. This is supposed to be a forum for discussion, not for making pronouncements and announcements. It defeats the board's objective when someone does that.
Answers to Gospel Questions Vol. 3 pp 98-99 under Counsel given by President Charles W. Penrose

Now, some of our brethren have taken up quite a discussion as to the fulness of the everlasting gospel. We are told that the Book of Mormon contains the fulness of the gospel, that those who like to get up a dispute, say that the Book of Mormon does not contain any reference to the work of salvation for the dead, and that there are many other things pertaining to the gospel that are not developed in that book, and yet we are told that the book contains "the fulness of the everlasting gospel." well what is the fulnesspel? You read carefully the revelation in regard to the three glories, section 76, in the Doctrine and Covanants, and you find there defined what the gospel is, There God the Eternal Father, and Jesus Christ, his son, and the Holy Ghost, are held up as the three persons in the Trinity-the one God the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost, all three being one God. When people believe in that doctrine and obey the ordinances which are spoken of in the same list of principals, you get the fulness of the gospel for this reason:

General Conference Report, April 1922, pp 27-28.

Answers to Gospel Questions Vol. 3 pp 98-99 under Counsel given by President Charles W. Penrose

Now, some of our brethren have taken up quite a discussion as to the fulness of the everlasting gospel. We are told that the Book of Mormon contains the fulness of the gospel, that those who like to get up a dispute, say that the Book of Mormon does not contain any reference to the work of salvation for the dead, and that there are many other things pertaining to the gospel that are not developed in that book, and yet we are told that the book contains "the fulness of the everlasting gospel." well what is the fulnesspel? You read carefully the revelation in regard to the three glories, section 76, in the Doctrine and Covanants, and you find there defined what the gospel is, There God the Eternal Father, and Jesus Christ, his son, and the Holy Ghost, are held up as the three persons in the Trinity-the one God the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost, all three being one God. When people believe in that doctrine and obey the ordinances which are spoken of in the same list of principals, you get the fulness of the gospel for this reason:

General Conference Report, April 1922, pp 27-28.
You have quoted that about a million times so far. That was one person's opinion, expressed 100 years ago, and never repeated by anybody else since as far as I am aware. That proves what exactly? What is the point you are trying to make with that quote?

You can take it anyway you please.
I will take it the way I said. Until I see otherwise, you are simply scared to respond and defend your faith other than "I bear you my testimony" schtick. Bring something to the table that refutes the information you are so scared of. I am sure your "prophets" have something to say about it. we don't mind responding to those "images" or material.

I will take it the way I said. Until I see otherwise, you are simply scared to respond and defend your faith other than "I bear you my testimony" schtick. Bring something to the table that refutes the information you are so scared of.
Something has been brought to the table--

Psalm 82:1---English Standard Version
1 God has taken his place in the divine council;
in the midst of the gods he holds judgment:

Crickets.

Something has been brought to the table--

Psalm 82:1---English Standard Version
1 God has taken his place in the divine council;
in the midst of the gods he holds judgment:

Crickets.

<Sigh>

We've explained this to you at least FIFTY times already.
You can choose to disagree with our explanation (since your false theology REQUIRES you to), but you CANNOT say you got "Crickets".

Psa. 82:1 God has taken his place in the divine council;
in the midst of the gods he qholds judgment:

The NET notes:

"The present translation assumes that the Hebrew term אֱלֹהִים (ʾelohim, “gods”) here refers to the pagan gods who supposedly comprise El’s assembly according to Canaanite religion. Those who reject the polemical view of the psalm prefer to see the referent as human judges or rulers (‏אֱלֹהִים sometimes refers to officials appointed by God, see Exod 21:6; 22:8-9; Ps 45:6) or as angelic beings (אֱלֹהִים sometimes refers to angelic beings, see Gen 3:5; Ps 8:5)."

2 “How long will you judge unjustly
and show partiality to the wicked? Selah
3 Give justice to the weak and the fatherless;
maintain the right of the afflicted and the destitute.
4 Rescue the weak and the needy;
deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”

These verses demonstrate that the "gods" are wicked human rulers, who are "judging unjustly", and "showing partiality to the wicked".

The one true God of creation is REBUKING those wicked judges, who are abusing His authority.

Psa. 82:5 They have neither knowledge nor understanding,
they walk about in darkness;
all the foundations of the earth are shaken.

More proof that it isn't talking about "real" gods.

Psa. 82:6 I said, “You are gods,
sons of the Most High, all of you;

Now God ELABORATES on what He means, those wicked rulers are "sons of the Most High", not actual "gods".

7 nevertheless, like men you shall die,
and fall like any prince.”

They are not deity. They are mortals, and they will die.

Then God contrasts these wicked rulers with Himself, the one true God over Creation, who ALONE will rise up and "judge the earth":

Psa. 82:8 Arise, O God, judge the earth;
for you shall inherit all the nations!

It is a disgrace and a slap in the face of God for you to misinterpret this passage in a way that CONTRADICTS the rest of the Bible:

Deut. 4:35 Unto thee it was shewed, that thou mightest know that the LORD he is God; there is none else besides him.

Deut. 4:39 Know therefore this day, and consider it in thine heart, that the LORD he is God in heaven above, and upon the earth beneath: there is none else.

Deut. 32:39   See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me:

2 Sam. 7:22 Wherefore thou art great, O LORD God: for there is none like thee, neither is there any God besides thee, according to all that we have heard with our ears.
2 Sam. 22:32 For who is God, save the LORD? and who is a rock, save our God?

1 Kings 8:60 That all the people of the earth may know that the LORD is God, and that there is none else.

1 Chr. 17:20 O LORD, there is none like thee, neither is there any God besides thee, according to all that we have heard with our ears.

Isa. 43:10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isa. 44:6 Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and besides me there is no God. 7 And who, as I, shall call, and shall declare it, and set it in order for me, since I appointed the ancient people? and the things that are coming, and shall come, let them shew unto them. 8 Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God besides me? yea,there is no God; I know not any.

Is. 45:5 I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God besides me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:

Is. 45:21 Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else besides me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me. 22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.

Isa. 46:9 Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,

Mark 12:32 And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he:

1Cor. 8:4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.

Please show for us how the Early Church Fathers claim men may become gods--violates LDS theology? It violates the theology pawned here--but not LDS theology.

That's only because you (1) IGNORE what the Bible teaches:

Deut. 4:35 Unto thee it was shewed, that thou mightest know that the LORD he is God; there is none else besides him.

Deut. 4:39 Know therefore this day, and consider it in thine heart, that the LORD he is God in heaven above, and upon the earth beneath: there is none else.

Deut. 32:39   See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me:

2 Sam. 7:22 Wherefore thou art great, O LORD God: for there is none like thee, neither is there any God besides thee, according to all that we have heard with our ears.

2 Sam. 22:32 For who is God, save the LORD? and who is a rock, save our God?

1 Kings 8:60 That all the people of the earth may know that the LORD is God, and that there is none else.

1 Chr. 17:20 O LORD, there is none like thee, neither is there any God besides thee, according to all that we have heard with our ears.

Isa. 43:10 Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me.

Isa. 44:6 Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and I am the last; and besides me there is no God. 7 And who, as I, shall call, and shall declare it, and set it in order for me, since I appointed the ancient people? and the things that are coming, and shall come, let them shew unto them. 8 Fear ye not, neither be afraid: have not I told thee from that time, and have declared it? ye are even my witnesses. Is there a God besides me? yea,there is no God; I know not any.

Is. 45:5 I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God besides me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:

Is. 45:21 Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the LORD? and there is no God else besides me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me. 22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.

Isa. 46:9 Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,

Mark 12:32 And the scribe said unto him, Well, Master, thou hast said the truth: for there is one God; and there is none other but he:

1Cor. 8:4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.

... and (2) you IGNORE the ECF's when they CONTRADICT you:

“Chapter I.—There is but one God: the impossibility of its being otherwise. … He is the only God, the only Lord, the only Creator, the only Father, alone containing all things, and Himself commanding all things into existence.”
-- Irenaeus, Against Heresies, II.I.1.

3rd Century A.D.

Therefore there is but one God, in whom complete energy and power can neither be lessened nor increased. […] Pythagoras also admits that there is but one God, saying that there is an incorporeal mind, which, being diffused and stretched through all nature, gives vital perception to all living creatures; “
-- Lactantius, Treatise on the Anger of God Addressed to Donatus, Ch. XI

“Some persons, however, find a difficulty in this faith; when they hear that the Father is God, and the Son God, and the Holy Spirit God, and yet that this Trinity is not three Gods, but one God;”
-- Augustine, "On the Trinity"

Apostasy means that priesthood authority and Apostolic keys were lost. It doesn't mean that there were no more faithful, true, and believing Christians left in the world; or that all true Christian doctrines, beliefs, and teachings were lost.
Right. We have the Bible. It's been beat up pretty bad by those who handed it down, but It still contains many truths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back