Does the LDS church teach that men can evolve into a God?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't argue what impression anyone got--but I never made that comment--and I never made any comment I didn't take your "well-thought out responses seriously". That just isn't true.

Wrong. And neither do you have anything archived where I stated any such thing. That's a fabricated accusation, which has no basis in truth.

As I already stated--the point of my not taking things too seriously was directed at the affront from the posts--not the content.

What right do you have in accusing me--when you haven't even asked me for an explanation of what I meant?
Where did I accuse you of anything? I reread my post and I simply asked if the things I posted rang a bell...how is that an accusation?

Where did I accuse you of writing the part about well-thought out responses? No, I wrote that.
But I WAS a bit unclear. I meant that one COULD conclude that the "this" that is not taken seriously COULD include our well thought out responses. I apologize for not being clearer. I will change the "would" to "could". :)

But why didn't YOU ask me for an explanation for what I meant about my " taking our well thought out responses seriously"? :)

As for asking you what you meant...it seemed pretty clear to me...but since you almost never give us straightforward answers to our questions in our debates, then maybe we did not ask for an explanation because we figured we would get more of the same...that is a reasonable conclusion, is it not?

Now, back to the discussion on men evolving into gods...

Last edited:
The NT was written in the first century, during the lifetime of many who were eye witnesses of Jesus Christ. That isn't "adding" to anything, but just a statement of fact.
That phrase isn't in the scriptures. That's a fact. You added it. That's a fact. The statement calls for apostles and prophets in the church and that's a fact. Regardless of when it was written, the phrase "in the first century" is simply not there.

That phrase isn't in the scriptures. That's a fact. You added it. That's a fact. The statement calls for apostles and prophets in the church and that's a fact. Regardless of when it was written, the phrase "in the first century" is simply not there.
Where did I say the phrase WAS in the Bible? Talk about a straw man--!

As for asking you what you meant...it seemed pretty clear to me...but since you almost never give us straightforward answers to our questions in our debates, then maybe we did not ask for an explanation because we figured we would get more of the same...that is a reasonable conclusion, is it not?
IMO--that's as flakey as the accusation I didn't take your well thought out responses seriously.

IMO--that's as flakey as the accusation I didn't take your well thought out responses seriously.

Exactly what is "taking seriously" when all you do is repost the same old three posts (which aren't about defending Mormonism, but instead attacking Christianity, which is NOT the topic of this forum), even though your posts have been answered a hundred times?

And then you never answer OUR criticisms!
Thank you for showing the entire world the bankruptcy that is "Mormonism".

But the bolded part IS true, as the non-Mormons can attest to, and as I have proven many times on this board and the other board, from archived posts, many of them with unanswered questions. I have witnesses. Tertium, OG, Theo, Magdalena...

Is demonstrating Mormon debate tactics 1-5 in my signature a demonstration of taking us seriously?

Now, the only reason I put this thread on here was to prove to a couple of Mormons on here who denied it,that your church does teach that men supposedly can evolve into gods. I proved I was correct by linking to an article on lds.org. That is all.

Last edited:
But the bolded part IS true, as the non-Mormons can attest to, and as I have proven many times on this board and the other board, from archived posts, many of them with unanswered questions. I have witnesses. Tertium, OG, Theo, Magdalena...

LOL!!!! So--gathering one's cronies around them-- is proof of --what?

Is demonstrating Mormon debate tactics 1-5 in my signature a demonstration of taking us seriously?

Another very strange approach of proving something. How are you relating your contrived tactics to proof of my not taking something seriously?

I'll add that to my classic straw man productions file.

You tell us.
You're the one in a church where octagenarians meet together every April and October, sometimes more mentally challenged and unaware as Biden (eg. Hinckley).

Another very strange approach of proving something. How are you relating your contrived tactics to proof of my not taking something seriously?

Well, there was your admission on the previous boards.
And all your posts testify to it as well.

I'll add that to my classic straw man productions file.
Ever hear of witnesses?--and there are several on here who could affirm what I wrote--aren't there...and I have archived a number of posts that prove what I have written--want to see a few?

So I am not gathering CRONIES, But WITNESSES--Do you understand the difference?

Last edited:
You tell us.
You're the one in a church where octagenarians meet together every April and October, sometimes more mentally challenged and unaware as Biden (eg. Hinckley).

Well, there was your admission on the previous boards.
And all your posts testify to it as well.
And is ignoring our answers by pretending we never answered, and repeating the same questions , a sign our posts WERE taken seriously? Not in MY book!

I read a small part of this thread. Mormons still teach that we are Gods in embryo. But becoming a God requires perfection and only those who obey ALL the commandments can be made perfect. No one is perfect in this life. Perhaps they are allowed in the CK before perfection. I don't know the answer to that. They teach eternal progression. They that Joseph Smith is a "God." Study the "second annointing."

Hebrews 5:9 is often quoted.
And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Some online Mormons have said Jesus wasn't fully God before he went to the cross, I haven't run across that in leaders' writings and haven't spent any time researching it.

What those previous Mormon leaders meant by the word "evolve" I don't know, but I don't think they use it anymore. Exaltation has to be earned.

Were those "early church fathers" heretics? Those quotes aren't biblical And the Eastern Orthodox don't believe or teach that humans can become gods.

Check this out:

Last edited:
Many Protestants, and even some Roman Catholics, might find the Orthodox concept of theosis unnerving. Especially when they read a quote such as this one from St. Athanasius: “God became man so that men might become gods,” they immediately fear an influence of Eastern mysticism from Hinduism or pantheism.

But such an influence could not be further from the Orthodox understanding. The human person does not merge with some sort of impersonal divine force, losing individual identity or consciousness. Intrinsic divinity is never ascribed to humankind or any part of the creation, and no created thing is confused with the being of God. Most certainly, humans are not accorded ontological equality with God, nor are they considered to merge or co-mingle with the being of God as He is in His essence.

In fact, to safeguard against any sort of misunderstanding of this kind, Orthodox theologians have been careful to distinguish between God’s essence and His energies. God is incomprehensible in His essence. But God, who is love, allows us to know Him through His divine energies, those actions whereby He reveals Himself to us in creation, providence, and redemption. It is through the divine energies, therefore, that we achieve union with God.

I read a small part of this thread. Mormons still teach that we are Gods in embryo.

The Early Church Fathers were united in proclaiming that.

But becoming a God requires perfection and only those who obey ALL the commandments can be made perfect. No one is perfect in this life.

That's an LDS belief. Perfection does not happen in this life.

Some online Mormons have said Jesus wasn't fully God before he went to the cross, I haven't run across that in leaders' writings and haven't spent any time researching it.

The LDS believe Jesus Christ was the God of the OT. The NT bears witness Jesus Christ received an inheritance of "all things" from His God and Father-- at some point:

Hebrews 1:1-9---King James Version
1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:
4 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.
5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?
6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.
7 And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire.
8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.
9 Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back