Does this sound like working your way to Heaven or not? What say you?

brotherofJared

Trying my foot! Read your Book of Mormon.
Maybe you should try that sometime.
1 Nephi 3
7 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.

8 And it came to pass that when my father had heard these words he was exceedingly glad, for he knew that I had been blessed of the Lord.
I'm not seeing a problem with that statement. What do you think it means in relation to your foot?

brotherofJared

“The demands of justice for broken law can be satisfied through mercy, earned by your continual repentance and obedience to the laws of God. Such repentance and obedience are absolutely essential for the Atonement to work its complete miracle in your life.”
Mormon Apostle Richard G. Scott, “The Atonement Can Secure Your Peace and Happiness,” Ensign (Conference Edition), November 2006, p.42

“It is the celestial glory which we seek. It is in the presence of God we desire to dwell. It is a forever family in which we want membership. Such blessings must be earned
Thomas Monson, “An Invitation to Exaltation,” Ensign (Conference Edition), May 1988, p.56

“We are living eternal life, and our position hereafter will be the result of our lives here. Every man will be judged according to his works, and he will receive only that degree of glory that he has earned.(Conference Reports, April 1945, p. 139.)"
The Teachings of George Albert Smith, p.30
Very good. What's the problem? Obviously, not everyone will be saved. What is the difference between those who will be saved and those who won't? This is not a difficult question but it seems to stump our critics. Whatever that difference is, it is what earns them salvation. Redemption from the grave was free. Salvation is not.

You can believe whatever you want but that doesn't make what you believe true. The truth is, Jesus taught, in that same passage I quoted above in Matt 19:26, that one must follow Christ or they cannot be saved. It's that simple.

brotherofJared

How can you, as a Mormon, think that ignoring the endowments and the covenants of the temple doesn't matter?
What makes you think I don't think they matter? I never said that. You appear to be quite confused about what we believe. Let me be clear, The gospel contains all that is required to return to God's presence and the "endowments and the covenants of the temple" are not part of the gospel.

The gospel consists of faith, repentance, baptism, the gift of the Holy Ghost, and keeping God's commandments (essentially following Christ). Do that and you can return to live with God forever in his presence. I believe that's what we call heaven. The endowments, which are important and do matter, are not necessary to dwell in the presence of God. However, if one wishes to continue the family, they have to be married. We can't have children by ourselves. It requires a man and a woman (biological male and female) and the only way they can continue in marriage is if someone with the authority to seal both on earth and in heaven sealed that marriage. Then and only then can they continue the seeds of their family. In order to obtain that, you also have to hold the priesthood and be endowed. These things are not requirements to enter heaven. They are requirements to continue having children in the worlds to come.

Do you understand now?
Mormons can't be clean without them
Baloney. We are pronounced clean but that doesn't mean we are clean. None of us are in this life. Obviously, cleanliness has very little to do with salvation. It's not one of the requirements. That's what repentance is for, which in essence is an opportunity to renew our efforts to follow Christ. There would be no need for repentance if we could actually be clean.
I'm shocked.
I'm sure you are but I doubt it will be enough to make a difference in what you believe about us.
Apparently you haven't been to the temple; have you? Are you a convert to Mormonism?
I don't give out personal information on this forum. Besides, I can answer these questions truthfully or not and you would never know either way. I have told you what you can substantiate. If the Book of Mormon contains the fullness of the gospel and temple endowments are not in there, that that would mean that the temple endowments are not part of the gospel.

I have explained the separation in this post. Exaltation was never taught as part of the gospel, but Jesus did allude to it and there are several references to early Christian practices that are not part of regular worship. These are hints of esoteric teachings that our critics are clueless about and tend to gloss over them as being unimportant. Among these are the sealing keys given to Peter, baptisms for the dead, references to women veiling their faces to name but a few. We have some information from the Old Testament that is also not talked about in general, but there are clues. For example, the kings in Israel were endowed in the temple and received the Melchizedek priesthood in a ceremony, not unlike ours, including being washed and anointed and led through each stage of the temple - outer court, inner court, and into the Holy of Holies (big shocker that is).

In addition to that, it appears that the Old Testament practiced marriage for eternity, case in point, Nathan told David that all his wives would be taken from him and given to another. Well, that never happened in mortality for David. He kept all his wives, including the one that he got in trouble with. So, when was this transaction supposed to take place? If not in this life, which? If eternal marriage is not a reality, then it seems to be an empty threat since no one, according to our critics, will have wives in heaven anyway.

The point is, there are and have always been, sacred things that were not discussed in Judeo-Christian circles (regardless of whether they were false or not). The fact that you don't know about them doesn't mean they didn't exist.

Aaron32

How can you, as a Mormon, think that ignoring the endowments and the covenants of the temple doesn't matter? Mormons can't be clean without them. I'm shocked. Apparently you haven't been to the temple; have you? Are you a convert to Mormonism?
This is a common misconception. Temple ordinances aren't for salvation (justification), they are for exaltation (perfection).
We are already saved through the doctrine of Christ.
We become perfected through the doctrine of the priesthood, which we learn at the temple.

Otherwise, what's the point of baptism if you're not clean until you go to the temple?

Aaron32

I don't promote Mormonism!
I never said you did - I said antinomianism: lawlessness.

And yet, I do agree. Many mormon quotes do talk about salvation in terms of earning it. Yet, I think the church is coming around and being more wise with their words.

But to be clear: Terrestrial glory is the resurrection of the just. A non-valiant person who accepted Jesus Christ will be "saved".
Celestial glory is exaltation - meaning we have to do more than sit around to receive it. And scripturally, to be sanctified we need to do it with an eye single to the glory of God.