Dutch ginger cake

I looked at the recipe for Dutch ginger cake and was very surprised! My MIL used to make gingerbread so I was expecting a dark cake with molasses. She also gave me her mother's recipe for molasses cookies.The old colonial recipes usually included molasses cookies. I never had molasses growing up, but I loved the baked goods recipes my MIL shared. My mother only gave us storebought cookies. She didn't like to bake. She only baked pies at Thanksgiving and Christmas (only pumpkin pies). I don't think she ever baked a cake from scratch. I wonder if she baked birthday cakes for my much younger siblings; I doubt it. When I was nineteen I remember baking my own cake. I even bought the cake pan! She didn't buy cakes from a bakery either.

I looked at the recipe for Dutch ginger cake and was very surprised! My MIL used to make gingerbread so I was expecting a dark cake with molasses. She also gave me her mother's recipe for molasses cookies.The old colonial recipes usually included molasses cookies. I never had molasses growing up, but I loved the baked goods recipes my MIL shared. My mother only gave us storebought cookies. She didn't like to bake. She only baked pies at Thanksgiving and Christmas (only pumpkin pies). I don't think she ever baked a cake from scratch. I wonder if she baked birthday cakes for my much younger siblings; I doubt it. When I was nineteen I remember baking my own cake. I even bought the cake pan! She didn't buy cakes from a bakery either.
It turned out more like a slice and I agree they are normally dark but this was surprising and tasty.

I used to bake my own birthday cake, my mum was always busy.

Back