Early Christmas Present from the Internet Archive.

Tertiumquid

The Internet Archive has a 23-volume set of the Walch edition of Luther works..... in English! This was a set of Luther's works originally published 1740-1753 by Johann Georg Walch. This set was originally in German. I complied hyperlinks to the set here:

The Internet Archive has a 23-volume set of the Walch edition of Luther works..... in English! This was a set of Luther's works originally published 1740-1753 by Johann Georg Walch. This set was originally in German. I complied hyperlinks to the set here:

Thank you James!
Early Christmas and I have yet to begin shopping for anyone. ???

Nic

Thank you for posting the link.

It looks like a polished and completed version of the work done at the Back To Luther blog. A few notable benefits to English speakers are that the files are small, searchable, and the original page formatting was maintained.

It will also be a further plus if there is or will be a central location for discussing and refining the machine translation.

Over all, this is a significant step forward for English speakers.

Have a blessed Advent.

"Psalm, in which v. 2 says: "I will praise the Lord as long as I live, and sing praises to my God as long as I am here."

After that I took such work upon myself, so that when I should depart from here, I would be found in the same small group of minors and little ones, from whose mouths God praises him, to destroy the enemy and the avenger of revenge, Ps. 8:3. For without this, the world before has more than too many such devils and abominable people, who blaspheme, counterfeit and pervert God's word, so that God is deprived of his honor and the devil is worshipped in his place." Martin Luther, from the forward of Vol 1.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting the link.

It looks like a polished and completed version of the work done at the Back To Luther blog. A few notable benefits to English speakers are that the files are small, searchable, and the original page formatting was maintained.
Thanks... I was wondering how it was I missed this English translation for so many years. I've never heard of the Walch set being translated into English. I haven't visited the Back to Luther blog in a long time- I may go inquire if this English translation comes from this blog.

Edited to add: The Internet Archive states, "This is an English machine translation (by DeepL Translator) of the original German book, available at Google Books and HathiTrust."

Last edited:
Thanks... I was wondering how it was I missed this English translation for so many years. I've never heard of the Walch set being translated into English. I haven't visited the Back to Luther blog in a long time- I may go inquire if this English translation comes from this blog.

Edited to add: The Internet Archive states, "This is an English machine translation (by DeepL Translator) of the original German book, available at Google Books and HathiTrust."
I just remember partial postings at the blog, that he was using DeepL, and that he would eventually post his work on the net.

Hi James and BJ, are either of you aware if there is any perceived favorable or not favorable ideas associated with this work in either the original or resultant translated works?

Eg. What is thought to be done well, poorly etc..., What stands out or notable for us not familiar?

Thanks.

Nic

Last edited:
Hi James and BJ, are either of you aware if there is any perceived favorable or not favorable ideas associated with this work in either the original or resultant translated works?

Eg. What is thought to be done well, poorly etc..., What stands out or notable for us not familiar?

Thanks.

Nic
I don't know yet. I only discovered these uploads recently and haven't delved into anything particular yet. For me, their value will probably be more in the footnotes of Walch rather than a translation of Luther. Also, Walch included some stuff written by Luther's opponents as well- that should be interesting, I have a collection of those sorts of writings already. What i plan on doing at some point is taking this new bizarre computer-generated translation and comparing it to something in LW to see how it fares.

I don't know yet. I only discovered these uploads recently and haven't delved into anything particular yet. For me, their value will probably be more in the footnotes of Walch rather than a translation of Luther. Also, Walch included some stuff written by Luther's opponents as well- that should be interesting, I have a collection of those sorts of writings already. What i plan on doing at some point is taking this new bizarre computer-generated translation and comparing it to something in LW to see how it fares.
Thank you James!
Yes I bet the inclusion of some of Luther's opponents would be interesting.
I look forward to any further comments you made have down the line. Thanks again.

Nic??

Just glancing at the material, it looks like the documents will be easy on the eyes and I like clean presentation. I look forward to exploring more as time permits! Thank again!

Nic

Just glancing at the material, it looks like the documents will be easy on the eyes and I like clean presentation. I look forward to exploring more as time permits! Thank again!

Nic
My first thought when I looked at them was the same regarding the font. :)

A cool aspect of this collection is that a person can gain some insight on the content choices of LW AE, for example, the AE didn't translate some portions of John which previously appeared in Walch or StL.

What i plan on doing at some point is taking this new bizarre computer-generated translation and comparing it to something in LW to see how it fares.
It is like reading subtitles prepared for a movie by a crew that was either familiar with the source language but not so much the target language and/or the other way around. I liken it to Spanglish or transubstantiation because the result is really a third thing, a tertium quid, if you will.

I like to think of myself as immune to marketing, but as I was cruising through some of the volumes the following contents description of volume 21, both volumes, drew me like a moth to a flame.

"Dr. Martin Luther's Letters
along with
the most important letters addressed to him, and some other strikingly interesting writings."​

Another aspect which caught my attention is that vol 23, the main subject and sayings index. It has a list of sayings with the information necessary to read those sayings in context.

The following is from the foreward by Hoppe so it doesn't have the references. He just wanted to a share a sample of the, "rich spiritual blessings in Jesus Christ from his work, and now also wishes the same blessing of God to all who make use of this register."

""... Death is so conquered by the death of Christ that it is compelled to contribute more powerfully to life than anything else." "There is no more pleasant message than that death is not only conquered, but also transformed into a helper and servant to a better life." Can there be a more beautiful consolation against death?"

Back