easy entertaining

balshan

This is the time when we like quick and easy meal solution or nibbles for guests. I often use a chocolate ripple cake which is just whipped cream and biscuits layered together. Garnish with a peppermint crisp or berries etc.

Another is mixing curd (lemon, lime, passionfruit etc) or nutella with cream cheese and cream or sour cream or yogurt. Great filling for tartlet cases. Top with berries or turn it outside down mushing berries and then topping with filling. It might work with peanut butter but I am not sure as I have never tried it.

Another are strips of pastry topped with things like cheese and bacon, or pizza sauce and salami twist the strips and bake.

Caprese skewers are great or melon and ham skewers.

I remember in the 70s a toothpick with a piece of cheese, onion or gerkin and cabana on them.

I'm sorry I didn't reply to this thread before today...

I'm single with no kids, and I don't own my own home. When it comes to "entertaining", I let other people do it - but I'll gladly contribute if asked.

Because of this, my entertaining ideas are different from someone who maybe needs something quick / easy. For example, I will happily make spanakopita for people I care about (baked spinach/feta/phyllo triangles). I also make full-sized tarts at the drop of a hat: lemon-orange, cranberry-caramel-nut, dark chocolate, etc. Several kinds of lasagna, stews, homemade hummus, black-eyed pea dip, quiche, etc.

I'm *not* a fantastic cook, but I'm decent - and the stuff I cook tends to be more labor intensive than not. That works both in-and-against my favor ;)

I'm sorry I didn't reply to this thread before today...

I'm single with no kids, and I don't own my own home. When it comes to "entertaining", I let other people do it - but I'll gladly contribute if asked.

Because of this, my entertaining ideas are different from someone who maybe needs something quick / easy. For example, I will happily make spanakopita for people I care about (baked spinach/feta/phyllo triangles). I also make full-sized tarts at the drop of a hat: lemon-orange, cranberry-caramel-nut, dark chocolate, etc. Several kinds of lasagna, stews, homemade hummus, black-eyed pea dip, quiche, etc.

I'm *not* a fantastic cook, but I'm decent - and the stuff I cook tends to be more labor intensive than not. That works both in-and-against my favor ;)
But they all sound yummy. Now I am older I want simple, no stress entertaining.

I love nibbles, snacks, etc.

I gave my grandson a book callled Beautiful Boards: 50 Amazing Snack Boards for Any Occasion. I ordered it from Amazon.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard of Charcuterie boards? That's what my grandson's cookbook was about and he said, "oh, a Charcterie board!" I had never heard of them, but wouldn't necessarily want that at a party because I don't want to eat food that multiple people might have been touching while making a selection.

This is the time when we like quick and easy meal solution or nibbles for guests. I often use a chocolate ripple cake which is just whipped cream and biscuits layered together. Garnish with a peppermint crisp or berries etc.

Another is mixing curd (lemon, lime, passionfruit etc) or nutella with cream cheese and cream or sour cream or yogurt. Great filling for tartlet cases. Top with berries or turn it outside down mushing berries and then topping with filling. It might work with peanut butter but I am not sure as I have never tried it.

Another are strips of pastry topped with things like cheese and bacon, or pizza sauce and salami twist the strips and bake.

Caprese skewers are great or melon and ham skewers.

I remember in the 70s a toothpick with a piece of cheese, onion or gerkin and cabana on them.
Is a cabana one ot those paper umbrellas for cocktails?

Has anyone heard of Charcuterie boards? That's what my grandson's cookbook was about and he said, "oh, a Charcterie board!" I had never heard of them, but wouldn't necessarily want that at a party because I don't want to eat food that multiple people might have been touching while making a selection.
Other names grazing platter, antipasto platter, mezza plate, cheese board with extras. Toothpick size skewers can help with that problem. Since covid I put dips into little bowls so people can have their own.

Back