Eddie Van Halen

Mike McK

Eddie Van Halen has died. I knew he was sick, but didn't know how sick until I heard an interview with Sammy and Mike the other day. The interviewer asked them about a reunion and they both just looked at each other very awkwardly, clearly not wanting to be the first ones to announce that Eddie was on his death bed, and literally had nothing to say. They kind of said it all without saying anything at all.

Van Halen was my first real concert. It was 1978 and they opened for KISS. They got booed off the stage and none of us knew who they were. To be honest, I was probably one of the ones who booed. I just wanted to hear Detroit Rock City and not these guys.

Although I did become a fan, with Diver Down being my favorite album, more for sentimental reasons than artistic ones, and ironically, the album the band liked the least of all their albums, I never cared for his playing.

He was often called the "world's greatest guitarist", but I really don't think that's true. There's no way of knowing how good he really was, because he covered it all up with effects and gimmicks. That's unfortunate and, I think, takes away from his legacy.

4Him

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie Van Halen has died. I knew he was sick, but didn't know how sick until I heard an interview with Sammy and Mike the other day. The interviewer asked them about a reunion and they both just looked at each other very awkwardly, clearly not wanting to be the first ones to announce that Eddie was on his death bed, and literally had nothing to say. They kind of said it all without saying anything at all.

Van Halen was my first real concert. It was 1978 and they opened for KISS. They got booed off the stage and none of us knew who they were. To be honest, I was probably one of the ones who booed. I just wanted to hear Detroit Rock City and not these guys.

Although I did become a fan, with Diver Down being my favorite album, more for sentimental reasons than artistic ones, and ironically, the album the band liked the least of all their albums, I never cared for his playing.

He was often called the "world's greatest guitarist", but I really don't think that's true. There's no way of knowing how good he really was, because he covered it all up with effects and gimmicks. That's unfortunate and, I think, takes away from his legacy.
Prince was a better guitarist.

SteveB

It caught me by surprise. I haven't listened to rock in a long, long, long time, so I have no idea what's going on with whom.
So.... hearing that Eddie died.... wow....

As far as really excellent guitarists...
Al DiMeola
John MacLaughlin
Paco De Lucia
Marcus Carman-- a friend of mine who introd' me to the above guitarists, and is an excellent guitarist in his own right
Peter White
Jimmy Hendrix
Phil Keaggy
Larry Carlton
Joe Satriani
Jeff Beck
Carlos Santana
Eric Clapton

and dozens of others.

Mike McK

yeah but.....
What about Yngwe Malmsteen?
Yngwe was similar. He was a very talented guitarist, but really only did one thing and a variation of that thing. I'm not trying to put them down, but as a guitar player, myself, playing fast and using lots of effects and gimmicks is not the measure of a guitarist. Can they comp like Joe Pass? Can they play rhythm like Freddie Green? Can they go from blues to folk like Peter Green, Danny Karwin, or Richard Thompson? Can they flatpick like Tony Rice? Can they fingerpick like Merle Travis? If we put them in a studio as session players, would they be able to keep up, only being given a few minutes to study charts, and changing genres and style all day? By that standard, Marty Stuart is a far better guitarist, because he shows an all around mastery of the instrument and can play in any style, any genre.

civic

Yngwe was similar. He was a very talented guitarist, but really only did one thing and a variation of that thing. I'm not trying to put them down, but as a guitar player, myself, playing fast and using lots of effects and gimmicks is not the measure of a guitarist. Can they comp like Joe Pass? Can they play rhythm like Freddie Green? Can they go from blues to folk like Peter Green, Danny Karwin, or Richard Thompson? Can they flatpick like Tony Rice? Can they fingerpick like Merle Travis? If we put them in a studio as session players, would they be able to keep up, only being given a few minutes to study charts, and changing genres and style all day? By that standard, Marty Stuart is a far better guitarist, because he shows an all around mastery of the instrument and can play in any style, any genre.
I was a huge kiss fan in the 70's and saw van halen open for kiss in Oakland. Gene Simmons discovered them.

Mike McK

I was a huge kiss fan in the 70's and saw van halen open for kiss in Oakland. Gene Simmons discovered them.
That's where I first saw them. Philadelphia Spectrum, around Christmas of 1978. They opened for KISS and got booed off the stage.

horsefeathers

It caught me by surprise. I haven't listened to rock in a long, long, long time, so I have no idea what's going on with whom.
So.... hearing that Eddie died.... wow....

As far as really excellent guitarists...
Al DiMeola
John MacLaughlin
Paco De Lucia
Marcus Carman-- a friend of mine who introd' me to the above guitarists, and is an excellent guitarist in his own right
Peter White
Jimmy Hendrix
Phil Keaggy
Larry Carlton
Joe Satriani
Jeff Beck
Carlos Santana
Eric Clapton

and dozens of others.
Mark Knopfler is a personal favorite.

SteveB

Mark Knopfler is a personal favorite.
I have numerous favorites, but because I've come to a different world view, the lyrics that are typically a part of those groups, I find that I just don't like being reminded of who I once was.
As Paul says to the Philippians,

Forgetting those things that are behind, and pressing on to the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.