Election

Johnnybgood

@Sethproton here is a source I found using google. It was the first one.

Oxford dictionary
  1. a tense expressing an action that is currently going on or habitually performed, or a state that currently or generally exists.
    "I'm using the present tense"

2. Webster’s

the tense of a verb that expresses action or state in the present time and is used of what occurs or is true at the time of speaking and of what is habitual or characteristic or is always or necessarily true

3. Grammarly-The present tense is used to describe things that are happening right now, or things that are continuous.

Last edited:

TibiasDad

1. He is walking to work - present tense walking means he is currently or regularly walking to work. By that It could be the answer to two different questions. How is he getting to work these days? or What is he doing at the moment?

There is no aspect of frequency in the present tense verb! The present tense is an indicative statement of a "now" moment! It doesn't, in itself, maintain how "regular" something is done. If it is asked, "How is he getting to work these days?" The proper answer would be "He walks" and that would be a statement of current condition, not of active action.

2. He is tall - this is a current condition

"He walks" is a condition statement.
3. Time is money - this is not an action or a condition. It is a statement about perceived truth and despite there being a present tense verb, it does not indicate something that happens or is happening.

It is a relational condition. The intransitive verb is making an indicative statement about the relationship between two entities. It is precisely what 1 Tim 2:5 is implying by saying "the man Jesus" is indicatively the "one mediator between God and man"!

He is a man, she is sick, Bob is the boss, Jesus is Lord, are all indicative statements of what something is in the condition of being at the time.

Doug

TibiasDad

Now if someone who was a Greek expert in subtle Greek communication, looks at the Greek statement in question and determines it is trying to express that the mediator is doing ongoing mediation, that would be different.
What do you think we have been trying to tell you? The Greek experts who know the subtleties of the language are saying it is saying that "the mediator is doing ongoing mediation"!

Doug

Sethproton

What do you think we have been trying to tell you? The Greek experts who know the subtleties of the language are saying it is saying that "the mediator is doing ongoing mediation"!

Doug
Really? And is that where you got the info that the missing verb is present tense?
But seriously, what greek expert are you speaking about?

Sethproton

Oh now you've Just given up, Patronizing or fibbing...
No if I can agree with a statement then I am quick to do so. Saying that Jesus is our mediator is true. Yes, I know you disagree with me as to what that means, but I do not disagree with the statement

Johnnybgood

No if I can agree with a statement then I am quick to do so. Saying that Jesus is our mediator is true. Yes, I know you disagree with me as to what that means, but I do not disagree with the statement
Is means when that was written He was still a mediator many years after the cross . Jesus was in heaven at the time when 1 Tim 2 and Hebrews was written . So He would also still be a man according to that same verse . Do you agree ?

Sethproton

No we are talking about 1 Tim 2:5 and Heb 8:6. You are changing the argument again and now giving your ideas again . We are discussing the present tense verb.
That was what i thought too, but since nobody wants to stay on track, you didn't even read the post I gave you about Heb 8:6, i figured I will just roll with everyone else and talk about what they bring up. Did yu not notice that I did not bring up the topic, I just rolled with it