Electoral college coup

Whateverman

Question: Do you think there's a possibility that Drumpf will receive more electoral college votes than US voters have indicated?

EC voting begins on the east coast at 10AM today.

This vote is one of the last few places the current white house occupant (with the help of congressional GOP) can orchestrate a coup to subvert the will of the people. I do not honestly think he's likely to do this - or at least, to be successful at it. Getting states to cast their votes for someone other than the candidate their voters chose democratically is difficult, for several reasons.

Nevertheless, I'm watching the tv closely today. The orange messiah and his constitution-hating congressional-supporters have pulled out all the stops to try to overturn this election, and today represents a significant opportunity for that to happen.

vibise

Question: Do you think there's a possibility that Drumpf will receive more electoral college votes than US voters have indicated?

This vote is one of the last few places the current white house occupant (with the help of congressional GOP) can orchestrate a coup to subvert the will of the people. I do not honestly think he's likely to do this - or at least, to be successful at it. Getting states to cast their votes for someone other than the candidate their voters chose democratically is difficult, for several reasons.

Nevertheless, I'm watching the tv closely today. The orange messiah and his constitution-hating congressional-supporters have pulled out all the stops to try to overturn this election, and today represents a significant opportunity for that to happen.
I do not think this is a possibility. Electors would have to change the results in several states, and that is not going to happen.

I think a bigger concern is what happens when Congress gets the Electoral College vote and has to approve it. This is normally a procedural stamp of approval, but there are already RW Congressmen making noises that they will reject the EC vote. I assume saner members of Congress will prevail, but even some in the GOP leadership are going along with these attempts to overturn the election.

Whateverman

I think a bigger concern is what happens when Congress gets the Electoral College vote and has to approve it. This is normally a procedural stamp of approval, but there are already RW Congressmen making noises that they will reject the EC vote. I assume saner members of Congress will prevail, but even some in the GOP leadership are going along with these attempts to overturn the election.
I agree that certification is more likely to the target of the Trumpanzees.

Gus Bovona

I do not think this is a possibility. Electors would have to change the results in several states, and that is not going to happen.

Fortunately, you need a majority in both houses of Congress to reject a slate of electors from a state, and it is even unlikely for that to happen in the Senate, not to mention the House.

ETA: However, I *will* be watching on Jan. 6 when the votes are counted in the joint session.

Electric Skeptic

As I write this, five of the six battleground states (Nevada, Georgia, Pennsylvania, Arizona and Wisconsin) have all cast their votes for Biden.

Another failure for Trump.

Backup

It is unimaginable that the Orange idiot will be able to overturn the will of the people.

he would have been so much better off conceding before he made a fool out of himself and exposed his cult followers as haters of fair and free elections

Whateverman

It is unimaginable that the Orange idiot will be able to overturn the will of the people.
My problem is that his 2016 win was just as unimaginable...

he would have been so much better off conceding before he made a fool out of himself and exposed his cult followers as haters of fair and free elections
I don't think he would have. This whole presidency has been an narcissist's wet dream, and he's going to get a lot of mileage out of it in the coming years. The only way he would have been better off is if he's jailed or otherwise gets crushed financially from his time in office.

With that said, I think it's good for America as a whole that the weaknesses of our constitution have been highlighted - as has been the existence of millions of Americans who want to tear their own nation down. THAT has an important lesson, and one we've needed to come to terms with.