Equal Ultimacy

It seems you are arguing the inequality is because the elect are given grace. If that is the case, I agree.

I am not familiar with this debate. In What sense are they claimed to be equal in the "equal ultimacy" claim?
Nothing more than God is equally active assuring the damning of the reprobate as He is in saving the elect.

I had heard of it but never gave it much thought until I heard a James White clip dealing with it. I just thought I would throw it out there and see what everyone else thought about it.

What's the BIBLE got to do with anything - we're talking CALVINIST theology!!!
It's the BIBLE that teaches regeneration; that's why those whom you call "Calvinists" believe it.

The question is: why don't YOU believe the Bible's teaching about regeneration?

Titus 3:4-6 (KJV)
4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,
5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;

Regeneration is also called being "born again". Do you believe in that?

John 3:1-8 (KJV)
1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:
2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he can not see the kingdom of God.
4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born?
5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he can not enter into the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

It's the BIBLE that teaches regeneration; that's why those whom you call "Calvinists" believe it.

5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Regeneration is also called being "born again". Do you believe in that?

John 3:1-8 (KJV)
1 There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews:
2 The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him.
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he can not see the kingdom of God.
4 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born?
5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he can not enter into the kingdom of God.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.
I also believe this is what it means by being "quickened" or "made alive" in Ephesians 2.

Reading through The Doctor's commentary recently on 1 John titled "Life in Christ" I see where he also believes the same, that it is referring to regeneration.

I highly doubt any person knocking theology, poking fun, ridiculing it in a juvenile manner is going to receive any praise from God for their actions. Quite the opposite will take place in my opinion, as it is nothing short of sowing discord, causing division, and sowing ridicule and doubt upon God's word, and its study. It is one of the most foolish things I've ever witnessed, and we've witnessed it firsthand by a local preacher who mocked theology from the pulpit. His teaching followed suit, he is way off track concerning the Gospel and literally heretical in many areas.

But what is all this nonsense we are seeing, according to Scripture? It is not enduring sound doctrine, 2 Timothy 4:1-4, and that passage indicates the path those who do these things are on, and it isn't good.

Last edited:
"Theology", in the final analysis only means "what I / my Denominational paradigm requires me to believe". some of it is good, and accurate (like Jesus is the ONLY NAME etc.) and some of it is just foolishness.

Then what does Luke 12:47,48 mean???

Which (like "Regeneration") is just another "Theological Buzz word" requiring explanation by whoever "whomped it up" to begin with.
We get it. You hate theology.

You need to take the whole book.
Which is why I take "Denominational theology" with a grain of salt.

How to generate doctrine:
1) Collect all the Biblical passages that reinforce you "doctrine". Catalogue them as your "Proof texts".
2) Collect all the Biblical passages that DON'T reinforce your "doctrine". Catalogue them as your "Problem texts".
3) Invent explanations / rationalizations for your problem texts (they don't apple / that was for THEM not us / God doesn't do that in 2024 / etc.
4) Teach your "Doctrine", "proving it" with your "Proof texts", and explaining away your "Problem texts".

If you decide later that the doctrine isn't valid, the just swap scripture sets, and teach the opposite Doctrine.
Simple as that.

To be fair, Calvinists have a specific application of "regeneration" that is not necessarily shared by everyone.

Calvinists have this dogmatic doctrine that "regeneration precedes faith," rather than being concomitant with faith. It might be so, if the English word "regeneration" refers to a process or any part of a process, even a very preliminary part. On the other hand, it might not be so (I don't really know - I think the bible talks about mercy & appointment rather than regeneration in denoting what precedes faith).

As to the biblical usage, Titus 3:5: "by the washing of regeneration" signifies a completed act, i.e. the "coming of rebirth", concomitant with faith, as also Matthew 19:28.

Jn 3:3 "Except a man be born from above, he cannot see the kingdom of God" also emphasises the "event" nature of heavenly rebirth, as "be born" is aorist tense, and which appears cocomitant with faith.

A problem with the use/doctrine of "regeneration" may lie in the different nuances between rebirth (an event) and regeneration (a potentially extended process or an ongoing change).

Strongs: "παλιγγενεσία .... Commonly, however, the word denotes the restoration of a thing to its pristine state, its renovation" (i.e. an event).

(To be clear: I'm making no comment here about the extended nuances of "regeneration" or the Calvinistic doctrine - just pointing out its biblical usage).

Which is why I take "Denominational theology" with a grain of salt.

How to generate doctrine:
1) Collect all the Biblical passages that reinforce you "doctrine". Catalogue them as your "Proof texts".
2) Collect all the Biblical passages that DON'T reinforce your "doctrine". Catalogue them as your "Problem texts".
3) Invent explanations / rationalizations for your problem texts (they don't apple / that was for THEM not us / God doesn't do that in 2024 / etc.
4) Teach your "Doctrine", "proving it" with your "Proof texts", and explaining away your "Problem texts".

If you decide later that the doctrine isn't valid, the just swap scripture sets, and teach the opposite Doctrine.
Simple as that.
Is this caricature your excuse for not having a clue about what the Bible teaches?

It's very likely that Adam was saved. God killed at least one animal, to give Adam and Eve clothing (the first blood sacrifice), prefiguring the shed blood and death of Christ on the cross, and symbolising the covering of their sin, as per the later OC animal sacrifices.

We were all in Adam at the time. Does that mean the sacrifice is for all mankind?

But God transfered this corruption from adam to us. It was still his design change. It didnt "just happen" that we became corrupted.
That's right, it didn't just happen. Adam had been warned that in the day that he ate of the forbidden fruit, dying he would die (i.e. he would start to die, resulting in final death). God kept his word; and, since you can't take a clean thing out of an unclean, all of us are born unclean and have to be born again, to reverse it.

God didn't transfer the corruption from Adam to us, since we were all in Adam, when he fell (in other words, that's when we became corrupted). Naturally, whatever came from Adam had this corruption, so all Adam's children were corrupted, and the children's children, etc..

We were all in Adam at the time. Does that mean the sacrifice is for all mankind?
As in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. Those who were chosen in Christ (the last Adam), before the foundation of the world, were already in Christ (in the sense that we had been chosen in him), before Adam fell. It for these ones that Jesus bore the sin and punishment on the cross.

In a sense, the elect are the new humanity, who will live with, and in, Christ forever; however, the distinction between the elect and those whom God did not choose for salvation could not be shown through the sacrifice of an animal for Adam and Eve, because there were no other humans. This truth (the distinction between the elect and those not chosen) was revealed later on.

Back