Eternal Life is never lost

JDS

You are barking up the wrong tree with that one. My argument is not that anybody can "lose their salvation". My argument is that nobody has it in this life to be able to lose it. According to the words of Jesus, "salvation" is something that is obtained in the next life after one has "endured to the end" in this life. The purpose of this life is to "endure to the end". Salvation and eternal life is reserved for the next life, not this one.
With reasoning like that I can't see any scenario where enough light could get to your mind that can ever help you. It is tragic, I think, but presenting a scriptural argument to you would be a waste of time. Having said that, my advice to you is carry on and do the best you can.

zerinus

With reasoning like that I can't see any scenario where enough light could get to your mind that can ever help you. It is tragic, I think, but presenting a scriptural argument to you would be a waste of time. Having said that, my advice to you is carry on and do the best you can.
LOL! My advice to you to read your Bible without the Calvinistic lenses on, and you never know, you might be lucky and the penny will drop someday.

Septextura

LOL! My advice to you to read your Bible without the Calvinistic lenses on, and you never know, you might be lucky and the penny will drop someday.

He'd immediately realize Jesus will return in Missouri rather than Armageddon.

zerinus

He'd immediately realize Jesus will return in Missouri rather than Armageddon.
Where does it say in the Bible that Jesus will return in Armageddon? It says that he will return in the clouds of heaven. Is that what Calvinism does to people, make them read the Bible backwards, and sideways, and upside down, wrong way up, and back to front etc.?

Septextura

Where does it say in the Bible that Jesus will return in Armageddon? It says that he will return in the clouds of heaven. Is that what Calvinism does to people, make them read the Bible backwards, and sideways, and upside down, wrong way up, and back to front etc.?

Matthew 24
29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Revelation 16
15 Behold, I come as a thief. Blessed is he that watcheth, and keepeth his garments, lest he walk naked, and they see his shame.
16 And he gathered them together into a place called in the Hebrew tongue Armageddon.
17 And the seventh angel poured out his vial into the air; and there came a great voice out of the temple of heaven, from the throne, saying, It is done.

Armageddon must be Missouri in paleo-Klingon.

Redeemed

Jesus said "I will live in you and you will live in my love". That statement right there is the satisfying fulfillment of God's love that's found in John 3:16

It's the ultimate expression or consummation of God’s love wrapped up in the phrase “eternal life.” I think it's easy to be confused about exactly what eternal life is. A lot of us would give this answer if asked to define eternal life: "it's what happens to a Christian after he dies".

That is not eternal life! Eternal life is something you inherit and a reality that begins the moment you believe in Jesus Christ.

Eternal life has less to do with the duration of time than it does the quality of life you are living. The day I received Jesus Christ into my life by faith, my life shifted to a higher plane and my eternal life began.

It's like putting on your tombstone “Entered into life,” followed by the your birth date, and “Entered into eternal life …” the date of your death. Unless you accepted Christ the day you they died, like the thief on the cross, that’s a misuse of the term “eternal life.”

Jesus said in John 17:3, “And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.” Therefore, eternal life is knowing the true God and His Son, not the life you move into the day you die. Knowing God is a new kind and quality of life.

Jesus said in John 10:10 "The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly".

Abundant life, eternal life. If our heart is beating and we are breathing we have life but Jesus gives us more life. What could that possibly be except eternal life! I don't think it's a new car in the driveway or a fantastic job or a super poster on carm forums.

1 John 2:15-17 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them. For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.

What's the will of the Father? This goes back to John 316 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life".

How about this one? The Bible tells me that since I have Jesus Christ I'm dead to sin and alive to God. Alive to God is certainly eternal life and I'm alive to God right now. It's like what Jesus told Nicodemus "you must be born again" Born again means that old man that was a slave to sin and death this been crucified on the cross with Jesus and has been resurrected and to newness of life...Eternal Life. A living sacrifice.

Have you entered into eternal life? If so, have you ever thought of it from that perspective—that you have already started the eternal life phase?

Have a blessed day and enjoy your eternal life!

Septextura

@Matt Slick

I noticed today this new video from a popular Baptist YouTuber (from the Ruckmanites camp). He denies eternal security, claiming to prove the elect can go to hell. He also believes Jesus went to hell for our sins.

civic

Hey what do you know we are in agreement !

Newbirth

This thread is to discuss passages concerning Eternal Life and not other passages so we can stay on topic. If that is to difficult then by all means it can be for another thread or topic.

Eternal life is what its name suggests an unending or everlasting life. If eternal life could be lost then it is misnamed because it wouldn’t really be eternal and be referred to as temporal or conditional life. All who have eternal life will live forever with Christ in heaven. Once you believe in Christ your eternal destiny in God’s kingdom sealed and is guaranteed with Eternal Life.

Eternal life is not just unending life. It is the life we now have in God through Jesus. John refers to Jesus Christ Himself as eternal life. It is life that comes from God. A person who has eternal life has God’s life within him.

It is obvious that eternal life doesn’t begin when we die. Jesus said, He who believes in Me has (present tense) everlasting life. He didn’t say that the one who believes in Him will have (future tense) everlasting life. He said that he has eternal life in the here and now from that very first moment of faith. Eternal life is unending life.

Jesus emphasis is that eternal life is a present reality and the present possession of the believer in the here and now. It will have its ultimate fulfillment in the future but every believer has eternal life at the moment they believe in the Son of God.

Jesus said I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one can snatch them out of my hand. (John 10:28).That means nothing or no one can remove a believer from Christ.

Jesus tells us in John 3:15-16 that whoever believes in Jesus Christ will have eternal life, not might have but actually possesses that everlasting life. If a person is promised eternal life and then to have it taken away then it was never eternal to begin with and it makes Jesus out to be a liar and the promises of God to be false. Below we see more promises the believer can count on for eternal life now and in the future. We can be confident in the promises of God.

John 3:16
16 "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

John 3:36
"He who believes in the Son has eternal life;

John 5:24
"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

John 6:47
"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal life.

John 6:54
54 "He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.

John 10:27-30
"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; 28 and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand. 29 "My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand. 30 "I and the Father are one."

Matt 25:46
"These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

1 John 5:13
These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life.

hope this helps,
If I am once saved always saved why do I have to overcome and keep his works to the end to be in the book of life? or to not be killed in the second death...
Revelation 2:11
He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.
Revelation 2:26
And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
Revelation 3:5
He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

seems like I still have to overcome and do his works to the end, If I don't I will be lost.

Newbirth

If you don't, you never were of us. See how that works? The one's kept by the power of God will never fall away.
That does not work, it is the ones that do not fall away that will be kept by the power of God...
And he that overcometh, and keepeth my works unto the end, to him will I give power over the nations:
He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.
why is Jesus asking me to overcome to the end if I am once saved always saved?

Reformedguy

That does not work, it is the ones that do not fall away that will be kept by the power of God...
He that overcometh what in context?

Newbirth

<Chuckle>

So explain to me how Paul allegedly changed the "context" between Rom. 2 and Rom. 3.
you are the one making the allegations sir.
And then explain to me how Rom. 2 and Mark 10 are more in the "same context" than Rom. 2 and Rom. 3.
how am I to explain your allegations, sir?
Then you have never read the Scriptures.

Eph. 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
the works there is referring to the law sir...How do I know?...
2 Tim. 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,
Again those works are works of the law.
Tit. 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
Again the works of the law
Rom. 4:4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. 5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness. 6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,

(It's too bad you refuse to keep reading past Rom. 2:7, and refuse to continue reading through Rom. 3:19-20 and Rom. 4:1-5.)

Rom. 11:5 So too at the present time there is a remnant, chosen by grace. 6 But if it is by grace, it is no longer on the basis of works; otherwise grace would no longer be grace.

(Still in Romans? Who knew? ;) )
Paul is talking about works of the law...it is not my fault that you lack understanding on this matter. The only works a man could do for a reward
of righteousness before Christ died was obedience to the law...therefore Paul must be referring to the law.

Newbirth

He that overcometh what in context?
in the context of keeping his works unto the end...you are claiming that it is a done deal. You are saying that those who overcame and did not keep his works to the end are still saved... Peter does not think so...
2 Peter 2:20
For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.

brightfame52

Show us where Jesus asked anyone to overcome .

Reformedguy

in the context of keeping his works unto the end...you are claiming that it is a done deal. You are saying that those who overcame and did not keep his works to the end are still saved... Peter does not think so...
2 Peter 2:20
For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning.
Knoweldge is not saving faith. Peter refers to them as "they" not we or us.

The context of Rev. 3:5 is what? Enduring what?