Every creature with a will to live has a right to live free from pain and suffering.

PETA says they "believe that every creature with a will to live has a right to live free from pain and suffering."

I would like to hear from the atheists on this forum...

Does a zebra "have a right to live free from pain and suffering"?

I am curious if your answer would be the same as a lion's.

Gus Bovona

PETA says they "believe that every creature with a will to live has a right to live free from pain and suffering."

If such creatures do have that right, it doesn't come from nature, given carnivorous predators and their prey. Now, if a person wants to give such creatures that right, or merely assert that they have that right, how can the predator live? Doesn't that reduce to favoring the prey over the predator?

J regia

Does a person also have the right to have their life terminated to be free from pain and suffering like a dog or cat?

If such creatures do have that right, it doesn't come from nature, given carnivorous predators and their prey. Now, if a person wants to give such creatures that right, or merely assert that they have that right, how can the predator live? Doesn't that reduce to favoring the prey over the predator?

Are you able to answer the question with YES or NO...

Ficciones

It seems like Yahchristian has a flow chart for this discussion and is getting antsy when answers diverge from it.

Gus Bovona

Are you able to answer the question with YES or NO...

Uh, no, I'm not able to answer the question yes or not. I can say, however, that creatures having such rights creates an untenable position given the existence of prey and predators.

Temujin

Where would such a right come from? If PETA ruled the world then they could dispense such rights. They don't, and they can't. Let's concentrate on preventing human pain and suffering. That not to say that inflicting gratuitous pain on animals is justified or reasonable.

Mr Laurier

PETA is a bunch of publicity hungry clowns.
They say stupid things, knowing they are stupid, to generate media attention for themselves.

PETA is a bunch of publicity hungry clowns.
They say stupid things, knowing they are stupid, to generate media attention for themselves.

I didn't ask you what you thought about PETA. I asked you...

Are you able to answer the question or not.

Where would such a right come from? If PETA ruled the world then they could dispense such rights. They don't, and they can't. Let's concentrate on preventing human pain and suffering. That not to say that inflicting gratuitous pain on animals is justified or reasonable.

WHY?

Many atheists (I expect most) believe humans are the cause for the current Holocene extinction (the sixth mass extinction Earth has experienced).

From an atheist's point of view, WHY concentrate on preventing the pain and suffering of humans (the ones responsible for most of the pain) instead of preventing pain and suffering of other animals (the victims)?

What makes humans so special?

I know how theists would answer, but I would like to see how you would answer the question.

Authentic Nouveau

Every creature with a will to live has a right to live free from pain and suffering.​

Survival of the fittest says the "fittest" may have the right to survive. who are the Fittest? the ones that survive, Duh.

Suffering is a vague and broad concept. How much suffering is mental suffering from not meeting expectations?

Authentic Nouveau

Animal rights to[U] life liberty and pursuit of happiness[/U]. Means Pigs get freedom.

Sows can sit, stand, and lie down in a farrowing crate, but they cannot turn around. Sows are housed in farrowing crates during the birth to her piglets

Temujin

WHY?

Many atheists (I expect most) believe humans are the cause for the current Holocene extinction (the sixth mass extinction Earth has experienced).

From an atheist's point of view, WHY concentrate on preventing the pain and suffering of humans (the ones responsible for most of the pain) instead of preventing pain and suffering of other animals (the victims)?

What makes humans so special?

I know how theists would answer, but I would like to see how you would answer the question.
This is not really anything to do with atheism but humanism. Because we are humans. We are a social species. We have evolved empathy, a conscience and altruism. We have an innate sense of justice and personal morality. Atheism doesn't deny any of these attributes. It just denies that they come from God. Humanism requires us to act on them, to behave morally because we are human and have a sense of morality.

Atheism is just a lack of belief in God. It has nothing to say, good or bad about morality. Atheists who do good things, charity work or whatever, do so because they are humanist, not because of, or despite their atheism

Whatsisface

All I can say is, a zebra has said right when it comes to unnecessary suffering inflicted by humans.

Tiburon

What is the lion's answer?

Tiburon

I don't really know what that means?
I would say that every creature with a will to live has a right to live free from pain and suffering inflicted upon it purely for the benefit of man.