Evidence of Grace: 1 Ne 3:7

Aaron32

Many people read 1 Nephi, and think the stress is on obedience, but what was Nephi’s source of strength?

1 Nephi 3:7 - “And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.”

Doesn’t Nephi’s first two failed attempts at getting the brass plates, and illustration of our measly efforts of trying to obey Gods commandments? Nephi wasn’t successful until he relied on the Holy Ghost. (See 1 Ne 4:6)

What the moral of the story? Nephi, tells us at the beginning: ...”I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance.” (1 Ne 1:20)

Magdalena

If Nephi cut off Laban’s head, Laban would have been covered with blood. How could Nephi put Laban's clothes on and no one noticed?

zerinus

If Nephi cut off Laban’s head, Laban would have been covered with blood. How could Nephi put Laban's clothes on and no one noticed?
He cut off his head while he was lying flat on the ground, unconscious of anything. He was not standing up for the blood to get all over his clothes. If he was lying on the ground at a slightly inclined angle, his blood would have flowed away from him, and would not have affected his clothes. You see how easy that was?

Authentic Nouveau

You can't follow Christ and reject his true prophets either. That is equally as bad.
Is that right?

There never was a Nephi as crafted in Smith's legends.

There never were Plates of Nephi.

Your Prophets keep making stuff up that never happens.

1 Hearken, O ye elders of my church, saith the Lord your God, who have assembled yourselves together, according to my commandments, in this land, which is the land of Missouri, which is the land which I have appointed and consecrated for the gathering of the saints.
2 Wherefore, this is the land of promise, and the place for the city of Zion.
3 And thus saith the Lord your God, if you will receive wisdom here is wisdom. Behold, the place which is now called Independence is the center place; and a spot for the temple is lying westward, upon a lot which is not far from the courthouse.

Show us on Google maps where the Mormon temple is in Independence Missouri. The Smith RLDS church built one but Utah Mormons didn't

Why did he lie?

He is a false Prophet.

City of Zion is another false Prophesy which clashes with Biblical truth. City of Zion is both reference to a place and events.

Do you want to steam ahead and go full blast Democrate and argue with me?

Bonus question for 500 points.

Why all his clap trap about "God assembling them in Missouri" and they are in Salt Lake?

Reminder, I know answers to questions before i ask them.

Theo1689

You can't follow Christ and reject his true prophets either. That is equally as bad.

So you follow Jim Jones, and Charles Manson, and Rev. Moon?

You see, Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, and Russell M. Nelson are FALSE prophets.
So we have no obligation to "accept" them.

Aaron32

So you follow Jim Jones, and Charles Manson, and Rev. Moon?

You see, Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, and Russell M. Nelson are FALSE prophets.
So we have no obligation to "accept" them.
Just as atheists have no obligation to accept the Bible.

brotherofJared

Many people read 1 Nephi, and think the stress is on obedience, but what was Nephi’s source of strength?

1 Nephi 3:7 - “And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.”

Doesn’t Nephi’s first two failed attempts at getting the brass plates, and illustration of our measly efforts of trying to obey Gods commandments? Nephi wasn’t successful until he relied on the Holy Ghost. (See 1 Ne 4:6)

What the moral of the story? Nephi, tells us at the beginning: ...”I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance.” (1 Ne 1:20)
First off, Nephi could not have done what he did without the first two failed attempts. They had to be rejected and even threatened with death before Nephi could have handled the situation he was presented with. Consider, if none of that happened, and Nephi approached the house of Laban to obtain the plates and found Laban drunk on the streets, no matter what the angel told him, he could not have justified the actions he ultimately had to take.

What appears to us to be failures may actually be part of a larger picture. If it was not for that event, Nephi would never have been able to move to the position he did in later life. The importance of that event is reflected in the fact that he kept the sword of Laban and that it remained as part of the Nephite history throughout its entire existence and was part of the deposit that Joseph Smith later uncovered.

I don't think Nephi relied on the Holy Ghost. He relied on his faith which allowed him to accept the failures and continue trying. The witness of the Holy Ghost was necessary to come to the conclusion that he did. It's something that I couldn't do, but Nephi was literally cornered into it. He had the same kind of situation that Adam did. His faith, in that he knew that the Lord would provide a way and that there was no other way. He was stuck between a rock and a hard place. No matter which way he went, he would be breaking a commandment. If he killed Laban, that would be breaking one. If he didn't kill Laban, he would be breaking the very commandment that he just finished saying the Lord would provide a way.

I concur with the moral of the story.

Magdalena

But if they’re true prophets, then it would be too late for you.
There comes a point where you have to stop saying “if,” and make a choice. You can’t stay on the fence saying “but what if...”

Christ taught us how to recognize false prophets. He made it clear that we can’t follow them and Him at the same time.

Aaron32

There comes a point where you have to stop saying “if,” and make a choice. You can’t stay on the fence saying “but what if...”

Christ taught us how to recognize false prophets. He made it clear that we can’t follow them and Him at the same time.
I say “if” to say “I understand the validity of your point” and inviting you to consider the validity of mine.

Consider it as being my way of offering you a cup of cold water, (Matt 10:42) not as expressing doubt in my beliefs.

Magdalena

I say “if” to say “I understand the validity of your point” and inviting you to consider the validity of mine.

Consider it as being my way of offering you a cup of cold water, (Matt 10:42) not as expressing doubt in my beliefs.
Been there, done that, wore the garments. BIC... mission, etc.

Thanks for the water, I think your intentions are good. But these days I’m drinking from Christ’s living water. And an invitation is extended to you.

Bonnie

Been there, done that, wore the garments. BIC... mission, etc.

Thanks for the water, I think your intentions are good. But these days I’m drinking from Christ’s living water. And an invitation is extended to you.
Amen! When we "drink" from the water Jesus extends to us, we never "thirst" again! For the "water" He offers us to drink from is the true Gospel of the true Jesus Christ of the Bible.