Evolution is a fact.

Mr Laurier

Evolution is an observed and documented process of genetic change over generations, caused by imperfect replication as filtered through environmental selective pressures.

S

stiggywggy

Evolution is an observed and documented process of genetic change over generations, caused by imperfect replication as filtered through environmental selective pressures.

What specifically have YOU "observed" evolving?

Temujin

True. Back in my acid days I never OBSERVED an animal change its species. Was it salvia?
But then as evolution does not equate to an animal changing its species (except when it is a Pokemon) whether you personally observed it or not is moot.

I have never observed a cow give birth, yet there is evidence that such a thing happens occasionally. Neither have I witnessed a star being formed, yet stars have formed and continue to do so. I have never witnessed a volcanic eruption, or an aeroplane crash or a blue whale. I have seen film of such things and read books and heard experts give witness of them, just like evolution. I am not arrogant enough to assume that only those things that I have personally witnessed exist. Evolution exists. It happens now and has always happened. To all living things, including human beings.

Incidentally, I have never had wisdom teeth. Does that make me more highly evolved than you?

Mr Laurier

A healthy discussion is good.
Alas, one obnoxious person just wants to spew insults at everyone.
Why are some people like that? Wait. I know why.
The internet protects them from consequences.
Behaviour that would get them a punch on the mouth in real life, is now safe thanks to the internet.
Well, we may not be able to punch these vile people. But we can report them, and hope the mods will deal with them.
I hope this new CARM is better than its previous incarnations. A place for civil discussion.

Mr Laurier

The evolution of smaller adult body size in upper great lakes whitefish is well documented.
Thanks to the work of researchers with the Ministry Of Fisheries And Wildlife, we have a well published account of the the genetic change from large adults body size, to small adult body size. Today's whitefish are smaller at maturity, and do not grow to more that 30 cm.
This is a result of intense over-fishing of whitefish in the 1970s. Larger fish were caught before reaching maturity. Leaving only the smaller fish to reproduce.
Direct human-caused evolution.

S

stiggywggy

But then as evolution does not equate to an animal changing its species (except when it is a Pokemon) whether you personally observed it or not is moot.

I have never observed a cow give birth, yet there is evidence that such a thing happens occasionally. Neither have I witnessed a star being formed, yet stars have formed and continue to do so. I have never witnessed a volcanic eruption, or an aeroplane crash or a blue whale. I have seen film of such things and read books and heard experts give witness of them, just like evolution. I am not arrogant enough to assume that only those things that I have personally witnessed exist. Evolution exists. It happens now and has always happened. To all living things, including human beings.

Incidentally, I have never had wisdom teeth. Does that make me more highly evolved than you?
I forgot to mention in my last reply: There are eyewitness accounts of volcanoes erupting. And I still use my wisdom teeth.

Temujin

[
No. It means you've never had wisdom teeth. Nothing more, nothing less.
Indeed, though I was interested to read that the incidence of reduced wisdom teeth in humans is increasing. Evolution happening.
By the way, thanks for admitting that unlike Laurier's idiotic claim, you've never observed a species evolve, nor "observed it in a book" and that you are merely speculating, implying that it is not a fact, merely a theory. Thanks for helping me straighten the guy out.
By the way, thanks for characteristically "misrepresenting" what I said. edit

Last edited by a moderator: