Evolution

Bonnie

I know some believe in it, which isn't surprising, since their church has taught that men can evolve into Gods.

Magdalena

My first year of college was spent at Ricks, a Mormon school in Idaho. One geology test consisted of just one essay question. What do you think of evolution? I was a good Mormon girl, so I wrote “If the prophet says creation happened in six days, that’s good enough for me.” I got a D- on the test. The grade was justified. But it made me wonder at the time if the prophets were teaching the wrong things, or the professor was.

Bonnie

Joseph Smith evolved from a Monotheist and after 1836 to a Polytheist
Hah! Good one, Prophet! Although evolution usually means going from a lower form of life to a higher one, Smith's "evolution" went the opposite way--from a fairly high theology and Christology to a abysmally low polytheistic theology. He "devolved." Shameful.

Last edited:

brotherofJared

Okay, so you accept Darwinian evolution?
I was pretty clear. I believe in the reality of evolution. Obviously, Darwin was missing many pieces of the puzzle.
Is that your personal belief only, or are you claiming that is the belief of the LDS church?
The church has no doctrinal position on the subject. I'm merely stating a scientific fact. Evolution is provable. But it has not proved that it is the origin of man.

Theo1689

My understanding is that when they say it is not doctrine, then it's not.

Excellent!

1) Who are "they"? Since it's plural, it can't be just the "prophet". Is it the First presidency? The Seventy? Who?

2) Where have "they" stated that "Evolution is not doctrine"?

Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

brotherofJared

Excellent!

1) Who are "they"? Since it's plural, it can't be just the "prophet". Is it the First presidency? The Seventy? Who?

2) Where have "they" stated that "Evolution is not doctrine"?

Thanks in advance...
In this case, "they" means church leadership or scholars who can't find anywhere where the church as established some things as doctrine. I sometimes disagree with things that some church leaders say is doctrine because it makes no sense that it would be. But when they (church leaders) say it's not doctrine, I feel confident that it's not.

Plural can mean just prophet. We have 15 leaders who are all designated as prophets, seers and revelators.

This is where the church, the collective "they", has stated there is no official position on the theory of evolution. That means there's no doctrine. I'll quote it in case you don't want to follow the link. It's from the Church's official web site. "The Church has no official position on the theory of evolution."

Bonnie

I was pretty clear. I believe in the reality of evolution. Obviously, Darwin was missing many pieces of the puzzle.

The church has no doctrinal position on the subject. I'm merely stating a scientific fact. Evolution is provable. But it has not proved that it is the origin of man.
Do you believe humans evolved from apes?

brotherofJared

Do you believe humans evolved from apes?
No. I believe that evolution is real. It happens. We have proof that it happens. Evolution does not explain intelligence nor does it explain the origin of man (I'm quoting myself in this thread and assume you haven't read it, so I am repeating myself).

Harry Leggs

My first year of college was spent at Ricks, a Mormon school in Idaho. One geology test consisted of just one essay question. What do you think of evolution? I was a good Mormon girl, so I wrote “If the prophet says creation happened in six days, that’s good enough for me.” I got a D- on the test. The grade was justified. But it made me wonder at the time if the prophets were teaching the wrong things, or the professor was.
What do you think is an opinion question and am wondering why you got a D- because of the opinion question or for other reasons having nothing to do with the opinion question? If the former, it is called grade retribution. Punishment for having an independent opinion of the professor. Either way, common descent is fiction for adults. That is not opinion. That is fact.

Harry Leggs

No. I believe that evolution is real.
Do you mean common descent or trivial changes in bird beaks? Because the latter is not the former anymore than a minnow is a whale.
It happens. We have proof that it happens.
For ape/human hybrid theoretical extinct creatures? The so called evidence can be interpreted in different ways, not one way. It could be there was no biological mystery creature that connects humans and apes at all. Not anymore than winged pegasus connects birds with horses. Humans and apes are biologically distinct.