Example of systemic racism

Backup

I just presented this episode to a good friend of mine. She has been a realtor for over forty years. According to her, this is a very common occurrence in real estate. She was not even remotely surprised. She said it also happens with home inspections as well.
Did she have an explanation of why?

Systemic racism is a bit of a will-o'-the-wisp.

Are home inspectors particularly racist?

Backup

Nebulous? What part of what Carrier wrote about makes you think it's not real?
Simply go back to the OP.

Why was the one appraisal higher than the others? Either the appraisers are racist, or the regulations are racist. Those are 2 concrete answers. Systemic racism is too vague.

Woody50

The only thing "systemic" about racism is the left who continues to see things and judge based on melanin levels.

I don't. When I don't see color, however, I'm told by leftists that's because I'm a racist.

Non-falsifiable drivel again from the left.

Does systemic racism exist? Yes. Just look to the left.

Backup

https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/nccpl2
This happens all over as well as when I am with a friend of mine and when we walk by their car women lock their doors.
I just remembered. I've had the same property appraised for $186,000 and $1,000,000. Exact same property, different appeasers.

Maybe this is just the same sort of thing. Maybe appraisals can just be wildly different. We can never know what would have happened if this woman had not pretended this white guy owned the house.

Gus Bovona

Simply go back to the OP.

Why was the one appraisal higher than the others? Either the appraisers are racist, or the regulations are racist. Those are 2 concrete answers. Systemic racism is too vague.
Carrier's example was about police, not real estate appraisals. Do you think Carrier's point about systemic racism was nebulous? Why?

Backup

Carrier's example was about police, not real estate appraisals. Do you think Carrier's point about systemic racism was nebulous? Why?
I don’t think 10% of police are racist. That seems like an outrageous claim. I don’t think racism is tolerated in any large work environment. I imagine police forces have a 0% tolerance for racism.

Michael R2

Did she have an explanation of why?

Systemic racism is a bit of a will-o'-the-wisp.

Are home inspectors particularly racist?

There was no particular explanation. She only said that it was fairly common. Just an FYI, she covers a region that is about 98% caucasian. She did say that most of the appraisers are reported, but it does continue to happen.
Calling it systemic may or may not be a stretch, but if it is so common she basically had no reaction to the story when I told her (other than basically a shrug), I would say that begins to close in on being systemic.
She did say it's not as bad with inspectors, but some would definitely apply the microscope when the seller was African-American.

Gus Bovona

I don’t think 10% of police are racist. That seems like an outrageous claim. I don’t think racism is tolerated in any large work environment. I imagine police forces have a 0% tolerance for racism.
That's not what Carrier was saying. That was a hypothetical, just to plug in some number. You could plug in any number greater than 0.

Now what do you think about Carrier's point?

Michael R2

why aren’t these people called out. What they are doing has been illegal in America for over half a century.
They are. The inspectors are either retrained or fired, depending on their actions in a given inspection. Usually they are fired as their bosses don't want to be on the unofficial 'don't use' list. Word gets around. Sadly, it still continues.

Howie

The system.
So everyone is on it, even you, Joe Biden, K Harris, the entire system, right
I just presented this episode to a good friend of mine. She has been a realtor for over forty years. According to her, this is a very common occurrence in real estate. She was not even remotely surprised. She said it also happens with home inspections as well.
Is she a national realtor, or a local realtor?

Backup

That's not what Carrier was saying. That was a hypothetical, just to plug in some number. You could plug in any number greater than 0.

Now what do you think about Carrier's point?
I like Richard Carrier’s work regarding history, but his political opinions are way left of me, a moderate Democrat. He seemed to go a bit off the rails during the whole Atheism Plus fiasco.

I think he is doing what so many on the extreme left does and imagining there is some secret cabal of white supremacists controlling all American institutions. I don’t believe that. Most people couldn’t care less about what race people are. If anything, Republicans are much more likely to judge people by the content of their character rather than the color of their skin. It’s the extreme left that reduces people to their ethnicity.

Faithoverbelief

So everyone is on it, even you, Joe Biden, K Harris, Obama, Sharpton, the entire system, right?
In a sense yes. I was raised in a very racist home and family. My experience in the Army and my natural questioning of authority made me question things I was told. I have friends white and black when we go out we laugh how people lock their car doors when my black friend and friends are with me. I have evidenced it my self. People do not lock their doors when it is me and my white friends. The system says that race exists. That in itself is racism.

Backup

They are. The inspectors are either retrained or fired, depending on their actions in a given inspection. Usually they are fired as their bosses don't want to be on the unofficial 'don't use' list. Word gets around. Sadly, it still continues.
I think pretty much everyone agrees it shouldn’t happen, so the examples should be rare and dealt with.

Pretty sure taking race into account goes against appraisal standards and regulations, and is definitely illegal.

What more is whitey expected to do?

Backup

In a sense yes. I was raised in a very racist home and family. My experience in the Army and my natural questioning of authority made me question things I was told. I have friends white and black when we go out we laugh how people lock their car doors when my black friend and friends are with me. I have evidenced it my self. People do not lock their doors when it is me and my white friends. The system says that race exists. That in itself is racism.
Doesn’t it make more sense to judge people by how they dress? Do these people lock their doors when a nerdy black guy in a business suit walks by?