Faith Alone

So a "saved" person never sins?
No. Sinners sin, that's what they do. God justified the ungodly. Justified sinners sin just like everyone else, but they are justified. Christ imputed His righteousness to His people and their sin to Him. Imputation does not intrinsically change someone, otherwise I would be intrinsically righteous, and Jesus sinful.

No. Sinners sin, that's what they do. God justified the ungodly. Justified sinners sin just like everyone else, but they are justified. Christ imputed His righteousness to His people and their sin to Him. Imputation does not intrinsically change someone, otherwise I would be intrinsically righteous, and Jesus sinful.
In a nutshell, it allows the saved to sin with impunity. For those who detest their sin, it is anything but good news.

What if we were to suppose the gospel writer had Jesus cry from the cross: "Father forgive them for they know exactly what they're doing" How would that fit in with this idea of sinning with impunity? Wouldn't it fit in perfectly?

When Christ points out that those who justify their sin are "an abomination", how does that fit in with sinning with impunity?.

If only "the doers of the law are justified", how does that fit in with sinning with impunity?

I've been asking these questions for decades now, and I've never had anyone come up with anything even remotely coherent. They've sadly become rhetorical questions.

In a nutshell, it allows the saved to sin with impunity. For those who detest their sin, it is anything but good news.

What if we were to suppose the gospel writer had Jesus cry from the cross: "Father forgive them for they know exactly what they're doing" How would that fit in with this idea of sinning with impunity? Wouldn't it fit in perfectly?

When Christ points out that those who justify their sin are "an abomination", how does that fit in with sinning with impunity?.

If only "the doers of the law are justified", how does that fit in with sinning with impunity?

I've been asking these questions for decades now, and I've never had anyone come up with anything even remotely coherent. They've sadly become rhetorical questions.
I believe that all Christians detest their sin. Paul says he "is" the chief of sinners, not "was".

I do see a distinction between doers of the law and doers of the word, do you?

I believe the just live by faith, which would be living by the gospel.

If the new covenant is conditional based upon what the sinner does(faith, repentance, works) or does not do, what difference is there between the old and new covenant?

For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
Hebrews 8:7 KJV

How do you define "Faith Alone"?

Does faith alone mean "lawlessness" where we completely disregard the commandments?
Ephesians tells us what saving faith produces in the believer and its purpose.

Ephesians 2:8-10
For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

I believe that all Christians detest their sin. Paul says he "is" the chief of sinners, not "was".
It is the claim of one who is ready to put that behind them. Christ does not save sinners in order that they may continue to sin, but that they be saved from sin. If the new testament cannot prevent one from sinning, then it is no better than the old.
I do see a distinction between doers of the law and doers of the word, do you?
Yes. the former can be classified as legalists, i.e. those who keep the law to justify themselves. They see the law as a means of justification. They are clearly not justified. However, this doesn't negate the fact that only those who do keep the law can be justified. In other words, there are also those who do not keep the law in order to be justified. They keep the law because they are a new creation created for righteous works. Do you see the difference?
I believe the just live by faith, which would be living by the gospel.
And which aspects of the gospel are you referring to with reference to living by faith? Paul also points out that those who keep God's law will live in them.
If the new covenant is conditional based upon what the sinner does(faith, repentance, works) or does not do, what difference is there between the old and new covenant?
The new covenant isn't about what sinners do, but what the righteous do. There are no sinners under the New Covenant. See Jer. 31:31-34;Ezekiel 11:19;36:25-27; Hebrews 8:9,10;9:15;10:26

Christ comes to save or redeem those who sinned under the first testament, but he does not save those under the new testament. He reigns over the righteous under the New Testament.
For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
Hebrews 8:7 KJV
And therefore the second must be faultless. There can be no room for fault, sin, trespasses etc.

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— Eph 2:8 Amen!

If you desire to willfully sin, you have never been saved. We are saved from sin, not in sin. People are saved from what they hate and what they fear, not from what they love. Those that love darkness more than light will receive what they love for eternity, but those of us that love the light will receive what we love, eternal light.

It is Grace by faith that saved me.
For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; Eph 2:8

It is a living faith
Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. James 2:17
If the faith produces no change in you then it is not a living faith, it is dead and has no power. The works of God is to believe in Jesus Christ.
Well said !

Matthew 7:18
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

You will know them by their fruits !

Last edited by a moderator:
And therefore the second must be faultless. There can be no room for fault, sin, trespasses etc.
I agree. Do you believe the second covenant, the new covenant is between mankind and God? I don't. I see it between God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ.

I agree. Do you believe the second covenant, the new covenant is between mankind and God? I don't. I see it between God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ.
This makes sense, especially when people point out that God only sees his son. Ultimately, there is only Christ.

You quoted Luther:

"We are saved by faith alone.
But a faith that saves is never alone."

dberrie loves to quote James 2. But all James 2 is teaching is that a true faith will be evident by the presence of works as its "fruits". A claim to having true faith is "justified" by the presence of fruits.

A true faith produces works.
But those works don't contribute to our salvation, only the faith does.
These works are the RESULT of our salvation, not a "requirement" for it.
Eph. 2:8 For by grace
you have been saved

through faith.
salvation by faith (alone)
And this is not your own doing;
it is the gift of God,

9 not a result of works,
so that no one may boast.
not by anything we do

not by works
10 For we are his workmanship,
created in Christ Jesus

for good works, which God
prepared beforehand,

that we should walk in them.
works are the result of salvation.
works come after salvation, as fruits.
Why is "alone" in parentheses in the Eph 2:8 quote?

"faith alone" is an inaccurate translation of Sola Fide (Latin ablative, sōlā fidē, meaning "by faith alone")
Sola Fide addresses how we are justified (declared righteous by God)
"Faith" in Sola Fide does not mean the mere mental/intellectual acceptance of some facts; but rather the supernatural, God-given gift of trust.

We are justified by faith alone.

Faith alone does NOT mean "lawlessness" where we completely disregard the commandments
Where does scripture say... by faith alone?

Where does scripture say... by faith alone?
It is a summary statement of Romans 3 and 4:
feel free to read it and let us know what you think Paul wants us to know about justification, works, and faith:

we will be waiting for your summary
thanks

It is a summary statement of Romans 3 and 4:
feel free to read it and let us know what you think Paul wants us to know about justification, works, and faith:

we will be waiting for your summary
thanks
"Through faith alone" is obviously not a complete exposition of doctrine and should never be seen as such; because the word "faith" is susceptible to all manner of perversion. As Christ prophesied, some will put Christians to death in the name of faith. Faith alone is only an answer to those who disparage faith, and prioritize the law and / or legalism, which perhaps epitomizes the Isamic heresy and certain Jewish and pseudo-Christian sects.

Through the law we become conscious of sin and our need for grace. Rom 3:20. Therefore if one doesn't know the law, faith will be weak. Knowledge is essential for faith.

A key doctrine is also our need to keep the faith, in order to reign in life through Jesus Christ: "those who receive God’s abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness [by faith] will [/must] reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ!" Rom 5:20

Last edited:
That faith is important but as you already know James says something specifically about faith
we all know what James said:
In Romans 3 and 4 ;what do you think Paul wants us to know about justification, works, and faith?

Back