Faith, the Principle That Obtains the Favor of God

JDS

The definition of faith from the Bible.

1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

Here is the first illustration of this definition.

3 Through faith we understand that the worlds (aions = ages) were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

Faith and hope must work together and they do in the scriptures. They cannot be separated.

Ro 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

1Co 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these [is] charity.

2Co 10:15 Not boasting of things without [our] measure, [that is], of other men’s labours; but having hope, when your faith is increased, that we shall be enlarged by you according to our rule abundantly,

Ga 5:5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

Col 1:23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and [be] not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, [and] which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

1Th 1:3 Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father;

1Th 5:8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.

Heb 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

1Pe 1:21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.

I could stop right here and see how this works.

When the hope that your faith produces is finally realized then both principles are rendered null and void. See here.

Ro 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

23 And not only [they], but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, [to wit], the redemption of our body.
24 For we are
saved by hope:
but hope that is seen is not hope:
for what a man seeth, why doth he yet hope for?

25 But if we hope for that we see not, [then] do we with patience wait for [it

Faith then is a principle that one must utilize when he has partial information and promises that works with hope to cause a lifestyle to advance with confidence to the attaining of the promise.

Here this is shown from the scriptures in real time and eternity. Watch it.

8 Charity never faileth: but whether [there be] prophecies, they shall fail; whether [there be] tongues, they shall cease; whether [there be] knowledge, it shall vanish away.
9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

Paul is speaking about partial things.

10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these [is] charity.

Charity is greater than faith and hope because it is the eternal operative principle of divine dealing and the eternal state, the perfect thing, will put an end to faith and hope.

We can talk about this some but Calvinism, as with most things, has faith wrong. It is not the gift of God as they claim. It works with hope and I do not think Calvinism has a gift of hope.

brightfame52

1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

3 Through faith we understand that the worlds (aions = ages) were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

Faith and hope must work together and they do in the scriptures. They cannot be separated.

Ro 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

1Co 13:13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these [is] charity.

2Co 10:15 Not boasting of things without [our] measure, [that is], of other men’s labours; but having hope, when your faith is increased, that we shall be enlarged by you according to our rule abundantly,

Col 1:23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and [be] not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, [and] which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

1Th 1:3 Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father;

1Th 5:8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.

Heb 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

1Pe 1:21 Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God.

When the hope that your faith produces is finally realized then both principles are rendered null and void. See here.

Ro 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

23 And not only [they], but ourselves also, which have the firstfruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for the adoption, [to wit], the redemption of our body.
24 For we are
saved by hope:

Faith then is a principle that one must utilize when he has partial information and promises that works with hope to cause a lifestyle to advance with confidence to the attaining of the promise.

8 Charity never faileth: but whether [there be] prophecies, they shall fail; whether [there be] tongues, they shall cease; whether [there be] knowledge, it shall vanish away.

10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these [is] charity.

Charity is greater than faith and hope because it is the eternal operative principle of divine dealing and the eternal state, the perfect thing, will put an end to faith and hope.

We can talk about this some but Calvinism, as with most things, has faith wrong. It is not the gift of God as they claim. It works with hope and I do not think Calvinism has a gift of hope.
Faith and love and hope are fruit of the Spirit, the natural man is void of all three of them.

JDS

Faith and love and hope are fruit of the Spirit, the natural man is void of all three of them.
Faith itself is not the object, it looks forward to the objective and hopes for it. This might help.

1Pe 1:9 Receiving the end of your faith, [even] the salvation of [your] souls.

If a man does not have faith, then there is no objective and he lives without any particular hope. This might help.

De 32:20 And he said, I will hide my face from them, I will see what their end [shall be]: for they [are] a very froward generation, children in whom [is] no faith.

One should meditate on that statement from God and think about it a while. That is deep.

JDS

Can anyone consider these truths concerning faith and think through them with reason and intelligence and understand how it is impossible for faith to be the gift of God?

civic

Another OP failure by a full blown PELAGIAN

πίστις, (a) faith, belief, trust, generally of the leaning of the entire human personality upon God or the Messiah in absolute trust and confidence in His power, wisdom, and goodness. The older meaning, intellectual conviction of certain truths, is often present. (In Eph. 1:15 [shorter text] εἰς = among); (b) with the article, the faith (in Lk. 18:8 perhaps the necessary faith or the faith that perseveres), the Christian faith, Ac. 6:7, 13:8, 16:5, 24:24, Gal. 1:23, 3:23, 6:10, Eph. 4:13, Jude 3, Jude 20, &c.; (c) as a psychological faculty, Heb. 11:1; (d) integrity, faithfulness, trustworthiness, loyalty, Mt. 23:23, Rom. 1:17 (?), Gal. 5:22, 2 Tim. 4:7; (e) a guarantee, Ac. 17:31.[1] Lexicon to the Greek New Testament.

1 Corinthians 4:7
7 For who sees anything different in you? What do you have that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if you did not receive it?

Romans 12:3
3For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith.

Galatians 5:22-24
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires

Ephesians 2:8-9
8For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;
9not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Ephesians 6:23
Peace be to the brethren, and love with faith, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Philippians 1:29
For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for Him

2 Peter 1:1
Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:

1 Timothy 1:14
The grace
of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.

(faith is given out by God along with his grace)

Acts 18:27
- When he arrived, he greatly helped those who through grace had believed

(it is through God's grace that people believe)

Acts. 13:48
As the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of God. As many as were appointed to eternal life, believed.

hope this helps !!!

civic

Quote edited.
I'm not interested in your Pelagian views. My peers can critique me from both the Arminian and Calvinist camps. I'm not in the least interested in what a Pelagian thinks about my posts.

You can post your sermonettes for someone who cares about pelagianism.

hope this helps !!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Howie

Can anyone consider these truths concerning faith and think through them with reason and intelligence and understand how it is impossible for faith to be the gift of God?
Uh, there have been thousands who have exegeted the scripture which tells that faith is the gift of God.

JDS

I'm not interested in your Pelagian views. My peers can critique me from both the Arminian and Calvinist camps. I'm not in the least interested in what a Pelagian thinks about my posts.

You can post your sermonettes for someone who cares about pelagianism.

hope this helps !!!
Edit per mod. You are arguing raw Calvinism which is nothing but Romanism in different clothes. I have given numerous verses where the Bible writer has commented on “faith.” The Bible writers say one must have faith when he has partial prophecy and partial knowledge. He tells of a time when the believer will have full or complete knowledge and when that happens he will no longer have faith. But, that is then and not now.

Romans 1:16-17
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

I counsel you to believe what you read.

JDS

Uh, there have been thousands who have exegeted the scripture which tells that faith is the gift of God.
I make a wild guess here that you have never used the word faith in your personal or business life in the sense that you are asking people to accept it as it defines your religion, the gift of God. I am guessing you know what faith is and always use it properly in your conversations. I am guessing you have never thought faith is the gift from anyone and when you make a promise to someone you are not asking them to accept it as the gift of faith. You are asking them to believe your words.

Howie

I make a wild guess here that you have never used the word faith in your personal or business life in the sense that you are asking people to accept it as it defines your religion, the gift of God. I am guessing you know what faith is and always use it properly in your conversations. I am guessing you have never thought faith is the gift from anyone and when you make a promise to someone you are not asking them to accept it as the gift of faith. You are asking them to believe your words.
Whatever are you talking about???

There have been thousands who have exegeted the scripture which tells that faith is the gift of God

Last edited:

JDS

Whatever are you talking about???

There have been thousands who have exegeted the scripture which tells that faith is the gift of God
I am talking about how faith is understood by the whole world and nobody thinks faith is a gift. Nobody ever talks that way. Edit per mod

We are told in the scriptures what is the gift of God and it is not saving faith.

If you think the scriptures teach that saving faith is the gift of God, present your case for it. I will read what you have to say.

brightfame52

I am talking about how faith is understood by the whole world and nobody thinks faith is a gift. Nobody ever talks that way. Edit per mod

We are told in the scriptures what is the gift of God and it is not saving faith.

If you think the scriptures teach that saving faith is the gift of God, present your case for it. I will read what you have to say.
Faith intrinsically doesn't save, it's the Spiritual means by which the saved come in to the knowledge of their free salvation through Jesus Christ. Eph 2:8 and it is not of ourselves but the Gift of God as all of Salvation is.

T

TomFL

Faith intrinsically doesn't save, it's the Spiritual means by which the saved come in to the knowledge of their free salvation through Jesus Christ. Eph 2:8 and it is not of ourselves but the Gift of God as all of Salvation is.
Wrong

John 20:31 —ESV
“but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.”

John 3:14–15 —ESV
“And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up,
that whoever believes in him may have eternal life.”

John 3:16 —ESV
“¶ “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.”

In each case have life (have eternal life) is in the subjunctive case and marks the having of that life as repentant upon believing

brightfame52

Wrong

“but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.”

“And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up,

“¶ “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.”

In each case have life (have eternal life) is in the subjunctive case and marks the having of that life as repentant upon believing
Faith doesn't save. Believing didn't die for a person sins. Faith is given to the saved person so they can know that they have been saved by the Grace of God. Faith is the fruit of the Spirit.

T

TomFL

Faith doesn't save. Believing didn't die for a person sins. Faith is given to the saved person so they can know that they have been saved by the Grace of God. Faith is the fruit of the Spirit.
Sorry your view faith is just informational is clearly antiscriptural

In each case have life (have eternal life) is in the subjunctive case and marks the having of that life as dependent upon believing

Instead of theology based on a systematic you need to base your theology on the word of God

Howie

24 For we are
saved by hope:

24 For we are
saved by hope:

Definition of faith from Strong's.

brightfame52

Sorry your view faith is just informational is clearly antiscriptural

In each case have life (have eternal life) is in the subjunctive case and marks the having of that life as dependent upon believing

Instead of theology based on a systematic you need to base your theology on the word of God
You believe an act of believing saves dont you ? Did faith die for sins according to scripture ?

civic

24 For we are
saved by hope:

1 Corinthians 4:7
7 For who sees anything different in you? What do you have that you did not receive? If then you received it, why do you boast as if you did not receive it?

Romans 12:3
3For through the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think more highly of himself than he ought to think; but to think so as to have sound judgment, as God has allotted to each a measure of faith.

Galatians 5:22-24
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. 24 Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires

Ephesians 2:8-9
8For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;
9not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Ephesians 6:23
Peace be to the brethren, and love with faith, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Philippians 1:29
For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for Him

2 Peter 1:1
Simeon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained a faith of equal standing with ours by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:

1 Timothy 1:14
The grace
of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.

(faith is given out by God along with his grace)

Acts 18:27 - When he arrived, he greatly helped those who through grace had believed

(it is through God's grace that people believe)

Acts. 13:48 As the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of God. As many as were appointed to eternal life, believed.

Conclusion: As we see faith is a gift that is granted by God.

hope this helps !!!

JDS

This will be the most important post you will read today on this subject of faith.

The word faith is used only two times in the OT and the word "believe" shows up only 17 times. This is over a period of 4000 years and in 39 OT books. One can see it is not a featured theme of those years. It is also worthy of note as to when it showed up the first time and in what context.

God does not deal with humanity collectively under the principle of faith in OT times as he does in NT times after the cross. He made promises to individuals and commended them for believing him in the OT. However, if one were to read the OT beginning at Gen he would go a long ways into the scriptures before he could find God giving commandments to men. He actually explains this in Romans 5 when he breaks down his OT dealings with men under two systems. Adam to Moses and from Moses to Christ. A third system is after Christ when his gift is present. Consider this passage where God does a little explaining of his work.

12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.

God gave the law to manifest sin more clearly and to manifest the righteousness of Christ. The point is however that there was sin before the law was given.

20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:
21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

If sin is the transgression of the law and the law was not given until Moses after 2500 years of human history had passed, how did men know what was right and what was wrong. The answer is they knew by their "conscience." This is the reason God did not deal with men by faith in what he said to them but what he revealed to them in their conscience. This is what makes all men guilty of sin and how all men knows it.

Genesis 2:17
But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

They would die because there would be no power to keep them from choosing evil. They would know the difference in their conscience. The remainder of the scriptures are a testament to this truth and all have sinned by doing what they know is wrong no matter how hard they try not to.

If one reads Romans 1 where all these sins are cataloged, he will find that no one is condemned by violating the written law. They are condemned for doing things they know to be wrong. They even redefine God so as to soothe their conscience and after they respond to God in this fashion he responds to them by turning them over to a reprobate mind. God raised up his own people and gave them his law but they were governed by law and not by faith. It is only in the context of Israel, with a couple mentions in Job that faith and believing are used in the OT.

James 4:17 Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

Rom 2:12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law; (sin is the transgression of the law but it is not the only way to sin)
13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another)

The reader should stop and meditate on this because it is the word of God and is saying something to us that we need to know.

What God proved during the ages prior to the coming of Christ is that men were desperate sinners whether they had the law of God (Israel) or whether they didn’t (gentiles) and this prepared them for the intervention of God into human history to save us from our sins. That is the conclusion of Romans 3. All have sinned. There is no difference in sinners.

Since all men had been proven to be sinners, Jesus Christ came into the world and the first word to Israel when he was introduced to them is Repent. Later, the gentiles were visited by God and the first word to us is to repent. The next word is to believe the gospel. Turn from sins and believe the gospel and be saved. Faith in what God says is the remedy for sinners. God had never sent preachers out with a message of forgiveness and restoration like this. The NT is about the righteousness of another that will be given to sinners who have none of their own but they must receive it by faith. Faith and believing is on every page of the NT and we are only two thousand years in.

Galatians 3:22
But the scripture hath (the OT scriptures) concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
Galatians 3:23
But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

Stop! Consider what is said here. Before faith came is equal to saying before Jesus came because faith is a new principle of God dealing with sinners.

Galatians 3:25-27
25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

Here is what he said to gentiles in the NT age. He had never said anything to gentiles until Jesus came.

Acts 17:22-31
22 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.
23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.
24 God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
25 Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
26 And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

I have more to say about this but the NT principle of salvation is faith in the testimony of God to men.