Faiths that do not save

Carbon

I know there are people out there who believe faith is faith, all faith is the same and all is saving faith.
But scripture gives examples of faith that does not save.
There needs to be an understanding of the essence of saving faith and the faith that does not save which scripture also calls faith.
One place in particular is Matthew 22 and he *said to him, ‘Friend, how did you come in here without wedding clothes?’ And the man was speechless.

Then there is temporary faith. As in the sower and the seed. This parable identifies different types of faith.

The only saving faith is the gift of faith.

1Thess521

I know there are people out there who believe faith is faith, all faith is the same and all is saving faith.
There needs to be an understanding of the essence of saving faith and the faith that does not save which scripture also calls faith.
One place in particular is Matthew 22 and he *said to him, ‘Friend, how did you come in here without wedding clothes?’ And the man was speechless.

Then there is temporary faith. As in the sower and the seed. This parable identifies different types of faith.

Agreed; The only saving faith is the God-given gift of faith.

A faith that is useless does not save (James 2:20)
a faith that is dead does not save (v17)
the faith of demons does not save (v19)

God does not give us a faith that is useless
God does not give us a faith that is dead
God does not give us the faith of demons

mere mental assent does not save

Bob Carabbio

Eph 2:8,9 agrees. FAITH is always gifted - God's WORD to you - personally.

Slyzr

Eph 2:8,9 agrees. FAITH is always gifted - God's WORD to you - personally.

Bob are you saying one cannot pick up a pencil; unless they convert and have "saving faith".

Maybe you guys are heading down ....the NOT being able to pick up a pencil road?

God ....... can I pick up the pencil ......

NOPE ...... you do not matter .....

Only I can pick up the pencil for you?

But god isn't that a tad extreme .....

ya .... probably ....

Last edited:

Carbon

mere mental assent does not save
So are you saying man cannot just make up his mind one day at any particular time and make a decision to have faith?
Well, why not?

Is it because of the fall? When mans moral likeness to God in his knowledge, purity, justice, truth, etc... were blotted from his soul? And now darkness, impurity, desolation, and death reign there?

Is it also because the natural man is at enmity against God? Which in one way shows itself in trying to dethrone God?

Hmmm, than yes, I agree!

Carbon

So are you saying man cannot just make up his mind one day at any particular time and make a decision to have faith?
Well, why not?

Is it because of the fall? When mans moral likeness to God in his knowledge, purity, justice, truth, etc... were blotted from his soul? And now darkness, impurity, desolation, and death reign there?

Is it also because the natural man is at enmity against God? Which in one way shows itself in trying to dethrone God?

Hmmm, than yes, I agree!
It’s pretty plain to see the moral destitute of man, God ceased to dwell in him. The temple is polluted, defaced and destroyed. Mans heart was once the dwelling place of God, but the divine residence is gone and it is now the dwelling place of sin.

Slyzr

Well, why not?

Hmmm, than yes, I agree!

LOL ......

Slyzr

Pick up the pencil?
would you explain please?

Ok ........

I'll give it shot.

God can I pick up the pencil?

god answers Errrr .... no .....and we have theology to back that up!!!.

So it is only by grace through faith, that I can pick up a pencil.

god ..... answers ..... ya something like that.

But God ..... you do know I could pick up a pencil before, I ever heard about the grace / faith thing.

Ya ..... we kind of knew that ....... we were just doing the faith / grace thingy.

Last edited:

Carbon

Ok ........

I'll give it shot.

God can I pick up the pencil?

god answers Errrr .... no .....and we have theology to back that up.
Sorry, still not getting it. But thanks for trying.
I’ll think on it for a bit, maybe I’ll get your meaning?

Slyzr

Sorry, still not getting it. But thanks for trying.
I’ll think on it for a bit, maybe I’ll get your meaning?

I posted then edited.

Missed you post while I was editing.

Post 14 .......

Last edited: