Faiths that do not save

Sethproton

He’s of the name it and claim it tribe. Name what scripture is saying and what it’s not saying.

It’s just that simple.
Why the constant need for personal insults? It seems that you are admitting that you know no scripture that sates a natural man is incapable of faith. But instead of admitting that you make it personal. And attack me.

Carbon

Why the constant need for personal insults? It seems that you are admitting that you know no scripture that sates a natural man is incapable of faith. But instead of admitting that you make it personal. And attack me.
Answer my question, before we talk scripture.

Theo1689

You are mishandling the parable.

I'm sorry, Seth, but you misspelled, "I disagree with your view."
Seriously, seth, please lose the attitude.
You are not the standard of truth here.

The first step in understanding a parable is to understand the literal picture in a parable

Well, I've done that.
And you clearly haven't.
So kindly explain to me again why you're presuming to lecture me?

In our case, a sower and seeds and types of ground and the result
In that literal picture, there is no God pictured, no heart pictured, no word of God pictured.

God is the landowner.
I guess you missed the part where Jesus explained the parable.
Again, YOU are the one who isn't paying attention.

We are the soil.
So we aren't the farmer.
Do you understand yet?

If you are unable to first clearly grasp what is said in the literal story, then you will fail in understanding the figurative meaning.

And that's why YOU don't understand the parable.

So when you say "God is the landowner" without understanding what the literal meaning is then you will be off base.

I'm not the one "off base", seth...
YOU are.
So kindly lose the attitude.

After you have that clear, the literal story, then you proceed to the figurative meaning,
So again in the literal story, we don't know if the sower owns the land or he has a boss. All we are told is that he is sowing.

So it's either Jesus or the Farmer.
Same with the Shepherd and the Master.

Sethproton

Answer my question, before we talk scripture.
I believe the question at hand is what scripture teaches that a man is incapable of trusting God.
I know of no scripture stating that in black and white, Do you?
Or did you have a separate question. I am responding to several threads we are in, so please clarify if I am mixing up threads: what is your specific question, if this post does not respond to it?

Carbon

I believe the question at hand is what scripture teaches that a man is incapable of trusting God.
I know of no scripture stating that in black and white, Do you?
Or did you have a separate question. I am responding to several threads we are in, so please clarify if I am mixing up threads: what is your specific question, if this post does not respond to it?
Is Jesus still in the flesh? Yes or no?

Sethproton

maybe 100 Is Jesus still in the flesh? Yes or no?
Ah, you asked this question to avoid addressing the real issue.
If you can bring yourself to address the issue we were discussing, I will gladly engage you on any OTHER question you have .
I believe the issue was that I am being lied about as to what I believe.
The accusation is that I think jesus stopped being God when he came to earth.
I have asserted maybe 100 times to Civic that I believe Christ was always God, even while He walked the earth.
If you can acknowledge that is my position, we can have a conversation that is founded on that understanding

Carbon

Ah, you asked this question to avoid addressing the real issue.
If you can bring yourself to address the issue we were discussing, I will gladly engage you on any OTHER question you have .
I believe the issue was that I am being lied about as to what I believe.
The accusation is that I think jesus stopped being God when he came to earth.
I have asserted maybe 100 times to Civic that I believe Christ was always God, even while He walked the earth.
If you can acknowledge that is my position, we can have a conversation that is founded on that understanding
Seth I had just one question. I don’t care what you were discussing with others.

So I’ll just have to accept the fact you won’t answer. So don’t.

You must really be afraid to express your true beliefs.

TrevorL

Greetings again Theo1689,
I don't know why you think it's "a commentary ... on Psalm 1". But Jer. 17 makes no mention of "choice", either. And when it mentions "heart", it mentions that it is "deceitful above all things".
Jeremiah takes the words and ideas of Psalm 1 and gives them an additional perspective, and speaks of the heart, and I understand that the heart is where decisions are made, where trust is formed:
Jeremiah 17:5-9 (KJV): 5 Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD. 6 For he shall be like the heath in the desert, and shall not see when good cometh; but shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness, in a salt land and not inhabited. 7 Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is. 8 For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see when heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of droughtc, neither shall cease from yielding fruit. 9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
And there seems to be some basis of judgement, some basis of accountability as to what the heart has decided and what the person has done as a result of those decisions of the heart, to trust man, or to trust God:
Jeremiah 17:10 (KJV): I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.
And I read in the Bible that Paul did not suffer a woman to teach, and that teachers (elders, deacons) were to be men (the husbands of one wife). But I guess, when you can't support your false teaching from Scripture, you appeal to your wife?
I value the contribution of my wife in being able to discern the correct perspective here.
And you think that was written to unbelievers?
They are written primarily to the believers, but an unbeliever when he reads or hears these words can believe them,and thus these words can become part of his new found faith, as stated:
John 10:12-17 (KJV): 12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. 13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. 14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! 16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? 17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Thank you for your random and irrelevant thoughts?
I was giving sufficient detail so that you would drop the charge that I was a JW when I specifically stated that I was not a JW.
How many "slaves" do you know who are 'free"?
I was disappointed with you response to my question. On a personal level, I consider that I can choose whether to serve the flesh or God, a day by day or moment by moment decision, and one wrong decision can lead to slavery, an addiction to some forms of sin Romans 6:1-23. Also one of the disappointments of these forums is that I do not think that I would be able to give you a copy of the two page article so that you could assess whether what he says is correct and helpful. He had a much greater understanding of the many issues involved in this topic.

Kind regards
Trevor

civic

Jeremiah takes the words and ideas of Psalm 1 and gives them an additional perspective, and speaks of the heart, and I understand that the heart is where decisions are made, where trust is formed:
Jeremiah 17:5-9 (KJV): 5 Thus saith the LORD; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeth from the LORD. 6 For he shall be like the heath in the desert, and shall not see when good cometh; but shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness, in a salt land and not inhabited. 7 Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is. 8 For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see when heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of droughtc, neither shall cease from yielding fruit. 9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?
And there seems to be some basis of judgement, some basis of accountability as to what the heart has decided and what the person has done as a result of those decisions of the heart, to trust man, or to trust God:
Jeremiah 17:10 (KJV): I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings.

I value the contribution of my wife in being able to discern the correct perspective here.

They are written primarily to the believers, but an unbeliever when he reads or hears these words can believe them,and thus these words can become part of his new found faith, as stated:
John 10:12-17 (KJV): 12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. 13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. 14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! 16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? 17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. [/color]

I was giving sufficient detail so that you would drop the charge that I was a JW when I specifically stated that I was not a JW.

I was disappointed with you response to my question. On a personal level, I consider that I can choose whether to serve the flesh or God, a day by day or moment by moment decision, and one wrong decision can lead to slavery, an addiction to some forms of sin Romans 6:1-23. Also one of the disappointments of these forums is that I do not think that I would be able to give you a copy of the two page article so that you could assess whether what he says is correct and helpful. He had a much greater understanding of the many issues involved in this topic.

Kind regards
Trevor
But you are a unitarian correct ?

Theo1689

9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Okay, I'll bite...

1) How do you go from "the heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked", to "the heart can choose to do good"?

2) Where do find, "the heart can decide to trust God" from ANYWHERE in Jer. 17?

3) Where does the Bible teach, "The unbeliever when he reads or hears these words can believe them"?

Well, if you had been honest with us up front, and simply told us what you were, instead of playing games, there wouldn't have been any problem...

I was disappointed with you response to my question.

Oh no! How will I ever sleep at night, now that some anonymous Pelagian Unitarian is "disappointed" with me!

On a personal level, I consider that I can choose whether to serve the flesh or God, a day by day or moment by moment decision,

Yeah, that's COMPLETELY unBiblical.

and one wrong decision can lead to slavery, an addiction to some forms of sin Romans 6:1-23.

I guess you didn't read Rom. 6 very well.
It says we're either "slaves to sin" or "slaves to righteousness".
Either way, there's no room for "being free".

Rom. 6:16 Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness? 17 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, 18 and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

And who gets the thanks for our being slaves of righteousness?
"Thanks be to God!"
Not our "decision".
Not our "ability".
It was GOD.

Also one of the disappointments of these forums is that I do not think that I would be able to give you a copy of the two page article so that you could assess whether what he says is correct and helpful. He had a much greater understanding of the many issues involved in this topic.

I have no clue what "two page article" you're referring to, or who "he" is, and I don't really care. But if you can't convey something without depending on references to other peoples' work, I don't know that I'd be able to trust your opinion on anything.

TibiasDad

So your a fortunate person to be born a friend of God, not at enmity.
1) No one is born a friend of God, especially not me!
2) Enmity is not distinctly different from enemy. Some may be more hostile toward God than others, but all of us are egocentric, and thus prone to not putting God first. That is what puts us at enmity, that is why we are enemies.

Doug

TrevorL

Greetings civic and Greetings again ReverendRV,
But you are a unitarian correct ?
The label Unitarian includes many who do not accept that God the Father was the father of Jesus. Yes, I believe that there is One God, Yahweh, God the Father and that our Lord jesus Christ is the Son of God by birth, character and resurrection. To further distinguish my view from other "Unitarians", I do not believe that Jesus pre-existed. I have posted my understanding of God manifestation in the thread "The Yahweh Name".
Welcome to our Board.
Possibly I should welcome you as I have been a member of CARM for 17 years. Now that you have pigeon-holed me you have not explained "Reverend" and "RV".

Kind regards
Trevor

TibiasDad

John 10:12-17 (KJV): 12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. 13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. 14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! 16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report? 17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
This is Romans, not John!

Doug

civic

The label Unitarian includes many who do not accept that God the Father was the father of Jesus. Yes, I believe that there is One God, Yahweh, God the Father and that our Lord jesus Christ is the Son of God by birth, character and resurrection. To further distinguish my view from other "Unitarians", I do not believe that Jesus pre-existed. I have posted my understanding of God manifestation in the thread "The Yahweh Name".

Possibly I should welcome you as I have been a member of CARM for 17 years. Now that you have pigeon-holed me you have not explained "Reverend" and "RV".

Kind regards
Trevor
I knew you were I just wanted you to let the other posters know what you believed Trevor .

ReverendRV

Kind regards
Trevor
That's my Username here and my Penname for my Gospel Tract book. The RV stands for recreational vehicle, because I want to be a traveling Evangelist...

I'll post an example of my Gospel Tracts...

ReverendRV

Epitaph ~ by Reverend RV

Matthew 28:6 KJV;
He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.

An Epitaph is a phrase written in memory of a person who has died, especially as an inscription on a tombstone. My wife told me she wanted her headstone to say “I had a reason for everything I did”. That’s when I told her I wanted mine to say “Not everything is Reasonable”; side by side, now that would have been funny. ~ People don’t stop to think of our verse as an Epitaph; but it is! Jesus Christ went to a Cross and died, being buried in a borrowed tomb. Rome guarded the tomb because they expected the Disciples of Jesus to steal his body. On the third day an Angel came and rolled away the stone from the tomb; and sat right on top of it. Isn’t it fitting that Jesus had a Living, Angelic Epitaph at the head of his grave site since he himself arose from the dead to become the Author of eternal Life??

Some Epitaphs are verses from the Bible, such as “The LORD is my Shepard”, etc. What would your Epitaph say? Let me give you a few suggestions. ~ Have you ever told a Lie? What do you call people that tell Lies? Would it be incorrect if your headstone read “Here lays a Liar”? Have you ever stolen anything? What do you call people that Steal? Would your gravestone be wrong if it said “Here Lays a Lying Thief”? Jesus said that Hatred is Murder and Lust is Adultery, and he is God’s Judge. Now it says “Here Lays a Lying, Adulterous, Murdering Thief”. These are only four of the Ten Commandments, is your Marker big enough for your Epitaph? It has to be because the Bible says breaking one Commandment makes us guilty of all of them. If God judges you by his standard, would you be innocent or guilty? Would you go to Heaven or to an Eternal Hell? ~ Scrooge was blessed to read his Marker just in the nick of time…

What you need is a new Epitaph, here’s one; “This is my beloved Son in whom I’m well pleased!” ~ Jesus Christ is the Son of God and he never Sinned, earning himself a human Righteousness. But he considered his Life nothing if he had to live it without his Church, so he gave it up for all who will believe. For God so loved the world he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting Life! Jesus spilled his blood for the Sin of the world to pay the price that your Sin deserves. But the Good News is that he arose from the dead and could have no other Epitaph than a Living one. We’re Saved by the Grace of God through Faith in the Risen Savior Jesus Christ, without trying to Merit an Epitaph which pleases God; there’s only one. Repent of your Sins, Confess Jesus Christ as your Lord God; read the Bible and learn from him. ~ His Epitaph is now your Epitaph; Resurrection from the Dead…

Acts 2:24 KJV; Whom God hath raised up, having loosed the pains of death: because it was not possible that he should be holden of it.

TrevorL

Okay, I'll bite... 1) How do you go from "the heart is deceitful above all things and desperately wicked", to "the heart can choose to do good"?
This reference prompted my recollection of Ephesians 4 and I would like you to consider this, and if you like possibly respond.
Ephesians 4:17–24 (KJV): 17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind, 18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart: 19 Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness. 20 But ye have not so learned Christ; 21 If so be that ye have heard him, and have been taught by him, as the truth is in Jesus: 22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; 23 And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; 24 And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
Is it possible that some of the converted Ephesians to continue to walk in the vanity of their minds?
Is there some deliberate choice in putting off the old man and putting on the new man?

What interests me are the examples that he gives and the following one has some useful information as an example of how to gradually overcome an addiction.
Ephesians 4:28 (KJV): Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.
I have heard this process described as sublimation or replacement therapy. I like the suggestion "working with his hands". Paul is suggesting that the same hands that were previously used to steal should now learn to labour in order to give. Anyone who has had problems with various bad habits as I have, can apply this concept of replacement therapy. Some of our bad habits are difficult to leave behind, but I have found this instruction useful. I suggest that the adoption of, and perseverance in this process does definitely involve some choice. For example, despite my diabetes, I still reward myself with a bar of chocolate (sometimes too large) when I do the weekly or sometimes twice weekly shopping.

Kind regards
Trevor

TrevorL

Greetings again ReverendRV,
That's my Username here and my Penname for my Gospel Tract book. The RV stands for recreational vehicle, because I want to be a traveling Evangelist...
Interesting, but I like to speak of the virtues of the OT portion of the RV Bible. I enjoyed reading your tract, but as you could guess, because I belong to a strange cult, then we have some difference of understanding of the truth of the Gospel.
Would you go to Heaven or to an Eternal Hell?
We believe that we return to the dust when we die Genesis 3:19, and the faithful are to be resurrected and given eternal life on earth, not in heaven. My mate has attended numerous funerals in his rural area as he is involved with the community having one of the few shops. He states that the local CofE minister or Reverend sends the good and the bad to heaven at death, possibly fearing the relatives and loss of income if he sent some of them to hell. In contrast we buried my 100 y.o. mother-in-law next to her husband who died 38 years earlier. My wife decided to have the same message on her mother's stone "In hope of the resurrection" and I would add 2 Timothy 4:6-8 as explanation. They said that there had not been much activity in that old section for many years. But when they dug the grave they discovered another body, which we agreed to leave there. Possibly God may include this man in the outworking of the epitaph "In hope of the resurrection".
Jesus spilled his blood for the Sin of the world to pay the price that your Sin deserves.
We believe Jesus is our representative, not substitute.
We’re Saved by the Grace of God through Faith in the Risen Savior Jesus Christ
I understand the major aspect of "Grace" is the forgiveness of sins, but this is obtained by belief of the true Gospel and water baptism Acts 8:5-6,12 and then a life in conformity with this Galatians 2:20.

Kind regards
Trevor

Last edited:

ReverendRV

Greetings again ReverendRV,

Interesting, but I like to speak of the virtues of the OT portion of the RV Bible. I enjoyed reading your tract, but as you could guess, because I belong to a strange cult, then we have some difference of understanding of the truth of the Gospel.

We believe that we return to the dust when we die Genesis 3:19, and the faithful are to be resurrected and given eternal life on earth, not in heaven. My mate has attended numerous funerals in his rural area as he is involved with the community having one of the few shops. He states that the local CofE minister or Reverend sends the good and the bad to heaven at death, possibly fearing the relatives and loss of income if he sent some of them to hell. In contrast we buried my 100 y.o. mother-in-law next to her husband who died 38 years earlier. My wife decided to have the same message on her mother's stone "In hope of the resurrection" and I would add 2 Timothy 4:6-8 as explanation. They said that there had not been much activity in that old section for many years. But when they dug the grave they discovered another body, which we agreed to leave there. Possibly God may include this man in the outworking of the epitaph "In hope of the resurrection".

We believe Jesus is our representative, not substitute.

I understand the major aspect of "Grace" is the forgiveness of sins, but this is obtained by belief of the true Gospel and water baptism Acts 8:5-6,12 and then a life in conformity with this Galatians 2:20.

Kind regards
Trevor
I like this one regarding Substitutionary Atonement...

Saw - by ReverendRV

Job 2:4 KJV
; And Satan answered the LORD, and said, “Skin for skin, yea, all that a man hath will he give for his life.”

What would you give to save your Life? Might you say, “My kingdom for a glass of water!”? No? Even if your Life depended on it?? ~ This is essentially what happened to Job. God blessed him and he became the richest man in the land; but not for long. God boasted of Job to Satan, so Satan attacked Job, taking everything away from him; including his children. Yet in all of this, Job didn’t curse God. God again boasted of Job to Satan and this is where Satan answered the LORD, and said, ‘Skin for skin, a man will give ALL he has to save his life!’ In saying this, Satan meant that the reason Job didn’t curse God is because he hadn’t attacked Job’s body. ~ The Jews say that ‘skin for skin’ means ‘member for member’; or body part for body part. The Devil meant that if a rock was thrown at our eye, we would give up our hand to save our eye. If something fell from above, we would wrap our arms around our head; we would not even spare our own body parts to save our lives! Wouldn't you agree we know this is true, because we learned about human instinct in our schools? So indeed, you know that you would stop at nothing to save your life…

We see Satan’s Thesis played out on the screen for us in the “Saw” movie franchise. A homicidal maniac devises deathtraps and puts people in them; but he gives them a choice. The deathtraps are designed to kill the person; unless they sacrifice their own body in time to escape. Over and over again, we see this Morality Play unfold. Some choose to live; but some choose to keep their body part and die. Your Sin is a part of you too; will you cut it off to escape, or will you hesitate and die? ~ The first deathtrap in all of history was devised by another homicidal maniac; Satan himself. The Serpent of old set a trap for Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. God graciously told Adam that eating of one tree in the garden would kill him, but Satan told them they would surely not die; and would become like God himself. They ate of that tree and began to die; dying they would die. By desiring to be like God, Adam broke the first Commandment; not to have any gods before the LORD. They deserved to go to Hell for eternity, but God sacrificed an innocent animal and took its skin, to be covering for Adam and Eve’s spiritual and physical nakedness. This act was symbolic of a once and future sacrifice that would cover the shame of our Sin…

We all are in Satan’s deathtrap, because like Adam, ‘we are dying, and we will die’. But there is no greater love than one man lay down his Life, that another may live; Jesus entered into the deathtrap and took the believers place! John the Baptist said that Jesus Christ was the Lamb of God who would take away the Sin of the World. We are Saved by the Grace of God, through Faith in the risen Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior, apart for any Work we could do to earn it. Put your trust in Jesus and repent of your Sins, find a Bible believing Church and learn how to become his disciple. ~ Will you do what it takes to save your eternal Life?? Jesus authenticated Satan’s premise, “And if your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter Life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into Hell.” There is nothing that you have that you will not give up to save your Life. We do not know when we will die! If you were in a wreck today; like a reflex, there is nothing you wouldn’t give up; even your Atheism. Don’t wait and take a chance; when Death comes, you may hesitate and not confess Jesus Christ as your Lord…

1st John 1:9 KJV; If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness