Fallacy that command implies ability !

civic

If command implies ability were true there then the necessity for Christ to live a perfect life under the law in our place would never needed to occur. Christs 1st Coming is evidence that command does not imply ability. The law as Paul states clearly is to reveal all are under sin and that there is none righteous no not one, there is none who does good no not one. The purpose of the law was to reveal sin and that we are utterly helpless under the law to obey.

Romans 7:5-12
So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. 5 For when we were in the realm of the flesh,[a] the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in us, so that we bore fruit for death. 6 But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.
7 What shall we say, then? Is the law sinful? Certainly not! Nevertheless, I would not have known what sin was had it not been for the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, “You shall not covet.”[b] 8 But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of coveting. For apart from the law, sin was dead. 9 Once I was alive apart from the law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. 10 I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death. 11 For sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, deceived me, and through the commandment put me to death. 12 So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good.

Galatians 2:16
know that a man is not justified by works of the Law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have believed in Christ Jesus, that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the Law, because by works of the Law no one will be justified.

Galatians 3:19-26
19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

20 Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one.

21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.

hope this helps !!!

PeanutGallery

If command implies ability were true there then the necessity for Christ to live a perfect life under the law in our place would never needed to occur. ...
No one here denies that; the problem is when people equate inability to obey the law with inability to call upon God for mercy.

Our Lord's God

If command implies ability were true there then the necessity for Christ to live a perfect life under the law in our place would never needed to occur.

Quite misguided.

Christs 1st Coming is evidence that command does not imply ability. The law as Paul states clearly is to reveal all are under sin and that there is none righteous no not one, there is none who does good no not one. The purpose of the law was to reveal sin and that we are utterly helpless under the law to obey.

5 In the days of Herod, king of Judea, there was a priest named Zacharias, of the division of Abijah; and he had a wife from the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elizabeth. 6 They were both righteous in the sight of God, walking blamelessly in all the commandments and requirements of the Lord. Luke 1:5-6

So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God. 5 For when we were in the realm of the flesh,[a] the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in us, so that we bore fruit for death. 6 But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.
7 What shall we say, then? Is the law sinful? Certainly not! Nevertheless, I would not have known what sin was had it not been for the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, “You shall not covet.”[b] 8 But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of coveting. For apart from the law, sin was dead. 9 Once I was alive apart from the law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. 10 I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death. 11 For sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, deceived me, and through the commandment put me to death. 12 So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good.

know that a man is not justified by works of the Law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have believed in Christ Jesus, that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the Law, because by works of the Law no one will be justified.

19 Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.

21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.

23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

hope this helps !!!

God doesn't play head games with people by commanding them to do the impossible. Only Gnostics think that way.

civic

Quite misguided.

5 In the days of Herod, king of Judea, there was a priest named Zacharias, of the division of Abijah; and he had a wife from the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elizabeth. 6 They were both righteous in the sight of God, walking blamelessly in all the commandments and requirements of the Lord. Luke 1:5-6

God doesn't play head games with people by commanding them to do the impossible. Only Gnostics think that way.
why would I take anything you have to say as sincere or true ?

you refuse to answer the simple question , are you a person ?

if not why not ?

you can run but you cannot hide as you are only fooling yourself with your EVASION.

So until you answer that question on the trinity forum I will not entertain anything from your unitarian views on this forum.

brightfame52

olg

That applies to believers in Christ.

JDS

If command implies ability were true there then the necessity for Christ to live a perfect life under the law in our place would never needed to occur. Christs 1st Coming is evidence that command does not imply ability. The law as Paul states clearly is to reveal all are under sin and that there is none righteous no not one, there is none who does good no not one. The purpose of the law was to reveal sin and that we are utterly helpless under the law to obey.

hope this helps !!!
Civic, you are arguing for a theology that cannot be proven from scriptures. No one has total inability because they are unsaved. That does not even makes sense, especially when a sinner is charged to believe a report in order to be saved. Have you ever really thought through these things?

Read this.

12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;
13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another)
16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

Have you read these things before? Gentiles doing by nature things contained in the law. Their conscience bearing witness. Are you picking up what is being thrown down here? IOW, there is a morality to men that God honors in the absence of special revelation. God only holds men accountable to what he reveals to them.

Look at this revelation of God to the whole world.

Psa 19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
2 Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
3 There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.
4 Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
5 Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
6 His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.

God has spoken to men through his creation.

Rom 1:9 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Now, since the cross and the special revelation of God through Christ, all men are accountable to believe the gospel and be saved.

Acts 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

Col 1:23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

These verses and God's evaluation of sinful men is not in tune with what Calvinists says about men being totally depraved. The idea is contrary to scripture and what God has said about men.

Please re-think your preaching.

brightfame52

Civic, you are arguing for a theology that cannot be proven from scriptures. No one has total inability because they are unsaved. That does not even makes sense, especially when a sinner is charged to believe a report in order to be saved. Have you ever really thought through these things?

Read this.

12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;
13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another)
16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

Have you read these things before? Gentiles doing by nature things contained in the law. Their conscience bearing witness. Are you picking up what is being thrown down here? IOW, there is a morality to men that God honors in the absence of special revelation. God only holds men accountable to what he reveals to them.

Psa 19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
4 Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
5 Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
6 His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.

Rom 1:9 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Now, since the cross and the special revelation of God through Christ, all men are accountable to believe the gospel and be saved.

Acts 17:29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.
30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

Col 1:23 If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

These verses and God's evaluation of sinful men is not in tune with what Calvinists says about men being totally depraved. The idea is contrary to scripture and what God has said about men.

A Spiritually dead sinner cant obey a spiritual command, its impossible. The commands of the Gospel are restricted to the Spiritually alive wherever they may be.

JDS

A Spiritually dead sinner cant obey a spiritual command, its impossible. The commands of the Gospel are restricted to the Spiritually alive wherever they may be.
You don't have a clue what the scriptures means by being spiritually dead and you cannot be taught because you are a blind Calvinist. You don't even know what it means to be physically dead. You do not know what the second death means. You are shooting from the hip without knowledge and making stuff up as you go.

Our Lord's God

Quite misguided.

why would I take anything you have to say as sincere or true ?

you refuse to answer the simple question , are you a person ?

if not why not ?

you can run but you cannot hide as you are only fooling yourself with your EVASION.

So until you answer that question on the trinity forum I will not entertain anything from your unitarian views on this forum.

How would I know if I am a "person" or not? After all, according to you, the one God has all the attributes of a single person but it not a single person. So do tell us how one can possibly know.

brightfame52

You don't have a clue what the scriptures means by being spiritually dead and you cannot be taught because you are a blind Calvinist. You don't even know what it means to be physically dead. You do not know what the second death means. You are shooting from the hip without knowledge and making stuff up as you go.
Spiritually dead means no spiritual life in you. Therefore no spiritual abilities

Theo1689

Read this.

Have you read these things before? Gentiles doing by nature things contained in the law. Their conscience bearing witness. Are you picking up what is being thrown down here?

Yes, I've read this passage many times, frequently when Mormons quote it to try to justify the same heresy you are trying to promote.

Yes, I'm picking up what this is saying, but clearly you are not.

God wrote the law onto our hearts.
Therefore we have no excuse.

Did you bother to read v.15?
"... while ACCUSING ... one another".
Why? Because they are BREAKING the law both know is correct.

"... while ... excusing one another".
Why? Because they are BREAKING the law, and trying to make excuses to justify breaking the law.

They may put on the APPEARANCE of keeping the law (as the Pharisees did), but they are breaking it, they are accusing others who they see breaking it, and they make excuses when people see THEM breaking it.

IOW, there is a morality to men that God honors in the absence of special revelation. God only holds men accountable to what he reveals to them.

Our Lord's God

NO. That is obviously incorrect on multiple accounts.

"the Gentiles who do not have the law by nature, do the things of the law."

Paul confirms this in verse 27 - "shall not the uncircumsion by nature......"

Gentiles by nature are not under the Law. Jews by nature are. That's the point.

brightfame52

NO. That is obviously incorrect on multiple accounts.

"the Gentiles who do not have the law by nature, do the things of the law."

Paul confirms this in verse 27 - "shall not the uncircumsion by nature......"

Gentiles by nature are not under the Law. Jews by nature are. That's the point.
Lol, the gentiles didnt have the law of moses, but they had the moral law written in their hearts. I sure they had jails and prisons for murderers and thieves, and courts and police.

Theo1689

You don't have a clue ...
you cannot be taught ...
you are a blind Calvinist. ...

You don't even know ...
You do not know what ..

You are shooting from the hip without knowledge ...
[you are] making stuff up as you go.

"Great minds discuss ideas;
average minds discuss events;
small minds discuss people."
-- attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt

JDS

Theo, What if you found out that you are deceived and were never really elected and only thought you were and everything you have said about others was actually true of you? What if it is you who are dead and have no ability because you are totally depraved? Would you still be telling us how good God is because he created you to go to hell for his glory? What then?

Enquiring minds wants to know.

Theo1689

Theo1689 said:

Theo, What if you found out that you are deceived and [you] were never really elected and only thought you were and everything you have said about others was actually true of you?

What if it is you who are dead and [you] have no ability because you are totally depraved? Would you still be telling us how good God is because he created you to go to hell for his glory? What then?

Theo, What if you found out that you are deceived and were never really elected and only thought you were and

Are you asking if Calvinism is true but I'm not elect?
Then I would say "Praise God! For it is holy and just for Him to eternally condemn a wretched sinner such as myself."

Are you asking what if my theology is wrong?
Well, it wouldn't matter, since I've still confessed my sins, and confess Jesus as my Saviour and Lord.

and everything you have said about others was actually true of you?

Specifically what "things [ I ] have said" are you referring to?
Direct quotes, please?

What if it is you who are dead and have no ability because you are totally depraved? Would you still be telling us how good God is because he created you to go to hell for his glory?

Believe it or not, I would.
It would be inconsistent for me to praise a just court system for condemning murderers like Charles Manson and Jeffrey Dahmer and Dennis Rader, yet not praise a just and holy God for condemning a wretched sinner such as myself.

Do you really think God "owes" you anything to prevent you from having to pay for your sins?

JDS

Are you asking if Calvinism is true but I'm not elect?
Then I would say "Praise God! For it is holy and just for Him to eternally condemn a wretched sinner such as myself."

Are you asking what if my theology is wrong?
Well, it wouldn't matter, since I've still confessed my sins, and confess Jesus as my Saviour and Lord.

Specifically what "things [ I ] have said" are you referring to?
Direct quotes, please?

Believe it or not, I would.
It would be inconsistent for me to praise a just court system for condemning murderers like Charles Manson and Jeffrey Dahmer and Dennis Rader, yet not praise a just and holy God for condemning a wretched sinner such as myself.

Do you really think God "owes" you anything to prevent you from having to pay for your sins?
You could not praise the Lord because you are totally depraved. Remember? You can't think.

Theo1689

You could not praise the Lord because you are totally depraved.

Okay, so the fact that I *CAN* praise the Lord strongly suggests that I'm one of the elect.
So what's the problem? ;)

Remember? You can't think.

Thank you for the insult.
God will bless me for it.
And He will pour heaping coals over your head.