FETA AND SPINACH PIE

balshan

Aussies make pies out of anything. But I was asked for a recipe for this pie. I have made it but do not have my recipe. You can use a pastry you like. Often puff pastry is used. I think a sour cream pastry would be nice with this pie. You could use frozen or homemade pastry. This one can be made like a tart, as a family pie or a small pie or even a turnover.

Here is one recipe from an aussie magazine

1 onion, grated
8 spring onions, cut into 1 cm slices
2 bunches English spinach, stems removed, washed, roughly chopped
3 eggs
250 g feta cheese, crumbled or grated
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
2 sheets puff pastry, partially thawed
2 tsp sesame seeds

Method​

Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced). Grease a shallow 16cm x 26cm pan with butter or oil. Place onion, spring/green onions and 2 tablespoons oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook for 4-5 min or until tender. Add spinach and cook over a low heat for 10 min. Allow to cool.
  1. In a large bowl, place the eggs, feta, parmesan and cooled spinach mix. Season with pepper and mix well.
  2. Line base and sides of pan with one and a half pieces of puff pastry, cutting and joining as needed. This should leave a 13 cm x 24cm piece of pastry.
  3. Fill dish with the egg mixture, fold in the sides and top with the remaining piece of pastry. Brush well with beaten egg and score the top with a diagonal pattern. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake for 20-25 min. Stand 10 min before cutting. Serve with a mixed salad and tomato chutney. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.

Maggie Beer sour cream pastry

• 125ml sour cream
  • 250g plain flour
  • 200g unsalted butter chilled
To make the pastry, dice the butter, then pulse with the flour in a food processor until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.

• Add the sour cream and continue to pulse until the dough starts to incorporate into a ball.
  • Wrap the dough in plastic film and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Maggie Beer is an Australian cook who has been around for years.

You can have a Mexican pie, a tandoori pie, a curried pie, turmeric and ginger chicken pie, artichoke, pesto and brie pie or just for you Bonnie the beetroot and goats cheese tart.

Aussies make pies out of anything. But I was asked for a recipe for this pie. I have made it but do not have my recipe. You can use a pastry you like. Often puff pastry is used. I think a sour cream pastry would be nice with this pie. You could use frozen or homemade pastry. This one can be made like a tart, as a family pie or a small pie or even a turnover.

1 onion, grated
3 eggs
2 tsp sesame seeds

Method​

Preheat oven to 200°C (180°C fan forced). Grease a shallow 16cm x 26cm pan with butter or oil. Place onion, spring/green onions and 2 tablespoons oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook for 4-5 min or until tender. Add spinach and cook over a low heat for 10 min. Allow to cool.
  1. In a large bowl, place the eggs, feta, parmesan and cooled spinach mix. Season with pepper and mix well.
  2. Line base and sides of pan with one and a half pieces of puff pastry, cutting and joining as needed. This should leave a 13 cm x 24cm piece of pastry.
  3. Fill dish with the egg mixture, fold in the sides and top with the remaining piece of pastry. Brush well with beaten egg and score the top with a diagonal pattern. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake for 20-25 min. Stand 10 min before cutting. Serve with a mixed salad and tomato chutney. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.

• 125ml sour cream
  • 250g plain flour
To make the pastry, dice the butter, then pulse with the flour in a food processor until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.

• Add the sour cream and continue to pulse until the dough starts to incorporate into a ball.

You can have a Mexican pie, a tandoori pie, a curried pie, turmeric and ginger chicken pie, artichoke, pesto and brie pie or just for you Bonnie the beetroot and goats cheese tart.
slightly different recipe

Easy spinach and feta pie

1 bunch silverbeet

1 brown onion

2 tbs olive oil

200 g ricotta

150 g Greek feta

50 g parmesan

pinch chilli flakes

pinch nutmeg

3 eggs

1 sheet puff pastry

• Preheat the oven to 220˚C
  • 2 Saute chopped silverbeet stems and onion on medium heat for about 10 minutes or until soft. Add the chopped leaves and stir. Place the lid on to help the leaves collapse, stirring occasionally.

• 3 Tip cooked spinach and onion mixture into a colander to cool and drain any excess moisture.

• 4 While the spinach mix is cooling, place ricotta, feta, parmesan and eggs into a large bowl and mix together. Season well with salt and pepper plus the chilli and nutmeg.

• 5 Add the cooled spinach mixture and combine well.

• 6 Oil a square or rectangular baking dish. Tip the mixture into the oiled dish, pressing it into the corners and smoothing off the top.

• 7 Cut the puff pastry sheet to fit the dish, leaving 1cm around the edge if possible (it will shrink when cooking) Place the pastry over the top of the mixture, fold the edges up and scrunch to fit (see video).

• 8 Brush the top with egg and bake at 220˚C for 10 minutes then reduce heat to 180˚C and cook for a further 20 - 30 minutes or until golden brown and puffed on top.

• 9 Slice into squares and serve with salad.

• A handful of toasted pine nuts are a delicious addition to this recipe.

1 onion, grated
3 eggs
2 tsp sesame seeds

Method​

• 125ml sour cream
  • 250g plain flour

Thanks very much, but I will pass on the beetroot and goat's cheese tart! :p

This looks easy but I would need to convert the measurements. Thanks!

Thanks very much, but I will pass on the beetroot and goat's cheese tart! :p

This looks easy but I would need to convert the measurements. Thanks!
Oh yes American measurements are slightly different. What is your favourite pie?

Favorite sweet is apple pie. Favorite savory is Fidgit pie, a Gloucestershire specialty. My husband does not like it much, though. So, we haven't had it in years.

1 onion, grated
3 eggs
2 tsp sesame seeds

Method​

• 125ml sour cream
  • 250g plain flour

Artichoke pie...my sister-in-law would love that. Artichokes are her favorite food.

I once did a large asparagus cheese tart for Easter Sunday dinner. It was fabulous!

Artichoke pie...my sister-in-law would love that. Artichokes are her favorite food.

I once did a large asparagus cheese tart for Easter Sunday dinner. It was fabulous!
I imagine an asparagus cheese tart would be yummy. Some people are very imaginitive with the pie fillings.

Back