First sin and its consequence

armylngst

so am I to conclude that you disagree with what God said, "...in the day you eat thereof you shall surely die."? You do not think they died that very day as God said they would?
Obviously they didn't "die". This is a point of contention for non-believers when they don't understand what we mean when we say they died in spirit. We were separated from God by sin. There was a division between man and God created by sin. This division is reflected in the temple plans as delivered by God, where a veil separated the Holy Place from the Holy of Holies, where the Ark of the Covenant was kept. We are still in God's image, body, mind (soul) and spirit. We still have the capability of reason. Adam was in God's image, and begat children in his image, which was the image of God. There is not change. With Jesus death on the cross, the division between God and man was removed, but the imagery given in scripture of the veil being torn...it was torn by the death of Christ. So the division between man and God was removed through the death of Christ. For the unsaved, the division remains. For those who believe in Christ, and as such, were dead, buried, and raised anew in Christ, the division has been removed. We have access to God through Christ our intercessor/mediator, through the Holy Spirit.
I still like my satire headline (in response to another) that "The Serpent Who Fact-Checked Eve's Statement on God Stating That If They Touched the Fruit They Would Surely Die, Hired By USA Today."

armylngst

Do you realize your statement makes God a liar?
You are about to bring the military out of me. Are you telling me that Adam and Eve dropped dead physically when they ate the fruit? I mean, it's blatantly obvious that they did not. I do not picture Adam sitting there with his hand over his mouth taking two quick breaths, and then taking his pulse, and saying "I'm not dead yet." Physically, Adam and Eve were alive and well, spiritually is a whole other matter. I have been taught that the word death means separation from God, not heart stopping and not breathing, which is physical death. I have always seen the deeper meaning. The moment Adam and Even sinned, they were separated from God. They were dead, being separated from the source of life, God. Yet physically, they were very much alive. The fact that you don't seem to understand that is rather...disturbing. Perhaps we all are the zombie apocalypse? Invasion of the dead undead?

Look no further then a verse that says "While we were yet dead in our trespasses and sins." Given how you want to define dead, how can a dead person perform any actions, much less trespass and sin?