"For many are called, but few chosen." Matthew 22:14

It doesn't matter how he got in, the issue is that he got in without having a wedding garment. Why mention the garment if it is irrelevant?

Mat 22:12 And he said to him, Friend, how did you come in here without having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.
Do you think I'm using Debate Tactics against you, other than the ones I mention?

I said in another Post that the friend entered without the Garment, not entered with a Garment and then took it off. So the assumption is that he had no Garment to lose...

Last edited:
So once again you're claiming Calvinists aren't saved.
I wouldn’t worry to much about what he says. He hasn’t quite settled in any one area yet, it’s still developing. Headed in the wrong direction for sure, but there’s always hope. ?

I wouldn’t worry to much about what he says. He hasn’t quite settled in any one area yet, it’s still developing. Headed in the wrong direction for sure, but there’s always hope. ?

I never was.
He's nothing but "a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal".

Do you think I'm using Debate Tactics against you, other than the ones I mention?
I'm ok with debates.
I said in another Post that the friend entered without the Garment, not entered with a Garment and then took it off. So the assumption is that he had no Garment to lose...
In ancient times, invited (or in this case "called") wedding guests were given a wedding garment at the entrance. So it could be that he entered without the garment. It was his responsibility to have one on. He failed for whatever reason. That's why he was banished to "outer darkness" even though he was called.

I'm not totally against him discarding his garment along the way. I don't want to speculate either way.

Deos anybody have scripture to what the wedding garment was?

Did it have specific characteristics?

Why the going to outer darkness; was that to get a "wedding garment"

Last edited:
Mat 22:11 And the king coming in to look over the guests, he saw a man there who did not have on a wedding garment.
Mat 22:12 And he said to him, Friend, how did you come in here without having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.
Mat 22:13 Then the king said to the servants, Bind him hand and foot and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness. There shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
Mat 22:14 For many are called (κλητοι), but few chosen (εκλεκτοι).

This seems to really fly in the face of those who believe that a mere “positive response” to the general call is ok with God. I mean didn’t he positively respond to the general call by “choosing” to show up at the wedding instead of rejecting the invitation and going his own way?

Why didn’t he get his “wedding garment” after “choosing” to show up?

This seems to really fly in the face of those who believe that a mere “positive response” to the general call is ok with God.
Agreed.
I mean didn’t he positively respond to the general call by “choosing” to show up at the wedding instead of rejecting the invitation and going his own way?

Why didn’t he get his “wedding garment” after “choosing” to show up?
Like the ten Virgins parable, one has to be ready before the King or Groom appears. When He appears it's too late.

Two observations:
  1. Calvinists readily fall in line with their iconoclastic TD principles to belittle people.
  2. Calvinists have a hard time trusting in their God's predetermined course for Chalcedon.
Spot on brother !

Deos anybody have scripture to what the wedding garment was?

Did it have specific characteristics?

Why the going to outer darkness; was that to get a "wedding garment"
A garment mentioned often in the Bible is spiritual "white clothing":

Rev 3:5 The one who overcomes, this one will be clothed in white clothing. And I will not blot out his name out of the Book of Life, but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.
Rev_3:18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold purified by fire, so that you may be rich; and white clothing, so that you may be clothed, and so that the shame of your nakedness does not appear. And anoint your eyes with eye salve, so that you may see.
Rev_4:4 And around the throne I saw twenty-four thrones. And on the thrones I saw twenty-four elders sitting, clothed in white clothing. And they had crowns of gold on their heads.

We spiritually possess "white clothing" during different occasions but the prime occasion is at repentance or at confession where we are cleansed of our sins by the power of the Cross. Another occasion is martyrdom which Revelation mentions.

A garment mentioned often in the Bible is spiritual "white clothing":

Rev 3:5 The one who overcomes, this one will be clothed in white clothing. And I will not blot out his name out of the Book of Life, but I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.
Rev_3:18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold purified by fire, so that you may be rich; and white clothing, so that you may be clothed, and so that the shame of your nakedness does not appear. And anoint your eyes with eye salve, so that you may see.
Rev_4:4 And around the throne I saw twenty-four thrones. And on the thrones I saw twenty-four elders sitting, clothed in white clothing. And they had crowns of gold on their heads.

We spiritually possess "white clothing" during different occasions but the prime occasion is at repentance or at confession where we are cleansed of our sins by the power of the Cross. Another occasion is martyrdom which Revelation mentions.

Raises some question about the soul.

Do you think the soul is us?

Raises some question about the soul.

Do you think the soul is us?
Souls are mentioned 491 times in my version of the Bible. So one's soul constitutes a significant portion of who he/she is. Our bodies too are part of who we are. Also, our spirit is mentioned in Rom 8:16:

Rom 8:16: "The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are the children of God."

Let's see...

Gen. 50:20
Isa. 10:5-7
Ps. 5:5
Ps. 51:5
Ps. 58:3
Matt. 1:21
Luke 14:23
Luke 15:3-7
Luke 15:8-10
John 6:44
John 8:34
John 10:11,15
John 10:26-29
Acts 4:27-28
Acts 13:48
Rom. 6:16-18
Rom. 8:28-30
Rom. 9:11-24
Eph. 1:4-11
2 Thess. 2:13
2 Pet. 3:8-9

This is not an exhaustive list, it's just off the top of my head...
Others are invited to add to it.

Besides, as others have pointed out, how many times does God have to say something before we are to believe it?
First of all, shouldn't the entire Bible support Calvinism? Why the cherry picking?

Second of all, just because you are able to list Bible verse references, doesn't automatically prove that the verses do what you claim them to do. You need to prove your claim.

Souls are mentioned 491 times in my version of the Bible. So one's soul constitutes a significant portion of who he/she is. Our bodies too are part of who we are. Also, our spirit is mentioned in Rom 8:16:

Rom 8:16: "The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are the children of God."

Noticed that myself.

First of all, shouldn't the entire Bible support Calvinism? Why the cherry picking?

Second of all, just because you are able to list Bible verse references, doesn't automatically prove that the verses do what you claim them to do. You need to prove your claim.
Yes it’s the equivalent of me saying Genesis 1 through Revelation 22 refutes Calvinism . That’s a much stronger argument than his . Some just like to throw scripture around like that which is eisegesis.

Good point ....

What about the being cast into outer darkness

For the not having a wedding garment.

What you got on that.

Back