For the joy that was set before Him

stiggy wiggy

Hebrews 12:2

Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

In rereading the gospels I was struck this time by the great difference in attitude and demeanor of Jesus pre-crucifixion versus post resurrection. Obviously being "made sin" is a burden that none of us can fully comprehend, but it is no surprise that the anticipation of that would weigh heavily on our Lord throughout His earthly life, and penultimately induce His sweating blood in Gethsemane. But the contrast of that with His post-resurrection words and actions is like a breath of fresh air.

His playful messing around with the two guys on the Road to Emmaus is an absolute delight to encounter. It's hard to read about his encouragement to Thomas to stick his hands through the hole in His side without picturing a twinkle in His eye. And His cooking fish for His disciples on the beach presents a festive scene. Even the way he deals with Peter by asking him twice if he had agape for Him and the third time if he had philo for Him, as if to ask, "Look, do you even like Me?" (I assume the Aramaic also had at least two different words for "love").

I think we can hardly comprehend the weight of the heavy burden that had been lifted. He still bears a burden, but it is now light, and He now asks us to take it upon ourselves and be so yoked as to share it with Him. (Matthew 11:29)

Christianity is a joyful religion. Why do we dourly scuffle with one another over points of doctrine?

Depends on the doctrine. The Resurrection: the nth degree. Baptism, sprinkling or submersion: not so high.
Water baptism is a commandment.

Scuffling with words about doctrine is one thing. Back in the early church the losers of doctrinal scuffles were punished.

Back