For those of you who support abortion in the case of rape;

stiggy wiggy

You would have deprived the world of this beautiful soul, whose mother was raped at the age of 12:

Also, check it out from the 9:40 mark. Can you imagine the likes of Colbert or Kimmel letting someone talk like that, uninterrupted? Bravo, Dick Cavett!

Temujin

You would have deprived the world of this beautiful soul, whose mother was raped at the age of 12:

Also, check it out from the 9:40 mark. Can you imagine the likes of Colbert or Kimmel letting someone talk like that, uninterrupted? Bravo, Dick Cavett!
No one proposes compulsory abortion for rape, or any other reason. If the mother chooses to keep the pregnancy, good for her. Good people being born as a result of rape is no more an argument against abortion than bad people being born for the same reason is an argument for it. But thanks for the video.

BMS

No one proposes compulsory abortion for rape, or any other reason. If the mother chooses to keep the pregnancy, good for her. Good people being born as a result of rape is no more an argument against abortion than bad people being born for the same reason is an argument for it. But thanks for the video.
you havent addressed the point.
What do you mean by mother?. Do you mean a woman, an adult feamle of the species with XX chromosomes and female reproductive organs?.

Temujin

you havent addressed the point.
What do you mean by mother?. Do you mean a woman, an adult feamle of the species with XX chromosomes and female reproductive organs?.
That wasn't the point. That is an obsessive fixation of yours. If your only contribution to the abortion debate is this pathetic attempt to muddy the waters, then you do your cause more harm than good. Try to stick to the OP.

Fred

For those who give the okay to murder the unborn baby:

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Reactions: BMS

BMS

That wasn't the point. That is an obsessive fixation of yours. If your only contribution to the abortion debate is this pathetic attempt to muddy the waters, then you do your cause more harm than good. Try to stick to the OP.
It was the point because you mentioned mother. YOU muddied the waters as soon as you proposed gender identity to deny biological sex. You were informed at the time how such a fundamental denial affects debate
So define what you mean by mother if you want to continue the debate

BMS

And furthermore we identify the unborn as a person and you dont, so you talking about women and persons is of no use to any of us in debate until that is resolved

Temujin

It was the point because you mentioned mother. YOU muddied the waters as soon as you proposed gender identity to deny biological sex. You were informed at the time how such a fundamental denial affects debate
So define what you mean by mother if you want to continue the debate
Trans issues have no more to do with abortion rights than the latest football scores. Grow up.

Temujin

And furthermore we identify the unborn as a person and you dont, so you talking about women and persons is of no use to any of us in debate until that is resolved
Who is "We"? Certainly no one with any authority anywhere. Your opinion does not match reality.

Temujin

So what IS your view? Tell us when during gestation it becomes NOT morally acceptable to butcher an unborn child? How does morality kick in at that point?
when the unborn child is viable, which in my view is when it becomes a person and receives the rights of a person.
So legality informs your opinion regarding morality for abortion, but not for slavery? How's that work?
As I said, legality is not the only consideration. In general terms I consider illegal behaviour to be immoral because breaking the law is immoral. That does not imply that all legal behaviour is moral. Nor does it mean that breaking the law for reasons of conscience cannot be moral. Morality depends on circumstance and it is futile to say, as you do "You think X is moral therefore you must think Y is also moral". It depends. My opinion on slavery has nothing to do with my opinion on abortion. Attempting to link the two is silly, in my view.[/QUOTE]

stiggy wiggy

when the unborn child is viable,

I see. So before that, when they are dependent, it's morally OK to rip him or her to shreds. You're of the "kill 'em while they are weak and defenseless" school of thought.

As I said, legality is not the only consideration. In general terms I consider illegal behaviour to be immoral because breaking the law is immoral. That does not imply that all legal behaviour is moral. Nor does it mean that breaking the law for reasons of conscience cannot be moral. Morality depends on circumstance and it is futile to say, as you do "You think X is moral therefore you must think Y is also moral". It depends. My opinion on slavery has nothing to do with my opinion on abortion. Attempting to link the two is silly, in my view.
I see. So the morality or lack thereof for abortion is somewhat impacted by its legality, but not so for slavery, but you can't tell us why the difference.

Reactions: BMS

Temujin

I see. So before that, when they are dependent, it's morally OK to rip him or her to shreds. You're of the "kill 'em while they are weak and defenseless" school of thought.
No. I'm of the "Prioritise the wishes of a person over the non-existent rights of a non-person" school of thought.
I see. So the morality or lack thereof for abortion is somewhat impacted by its legality, but not so for slavery, but you can't tell us why the difference.
Sure I can. Slavery is not legal and has never been legal in my lifetime. It is pointless speculating how I would feel if I had lived when slavery was legal, as I would have been a different person with different views. As I am now, I think that slavery is rightly illegal and should remain so. Which has nothing to do with abortion.