Forbidden Opinions

Electric Skeptic

Opinions can be controversial, as we all know.

Can you think of any opinions which, no matter how well supported, would be decried as false by virtually everybody? I'm imagining someone publishing a book titled "<some opinion>", complete with copious evidence, footnotes, references, the lot - and just about everybody saying that regardless of all that, the opinion is false.

I can think of two straight off the top of my head - I'm curious as to what others can think of.

Electric Skeptic

Flat Earth? Faked moon landing?
I was thinking of more definite ones...I'll give one of the ideas that I had - I think it was actually a reality several decades ago. How about a book detailing how black Africans are, on average, significantly less intelligent than white people?

Temujin

I was thinking of more definite ones...I'll give one of the ideas that I had - I think it was actually a reality several decades ago. How about a book detailing how black Africans are, on average, significantly less intelligent than white people?
Necrophilia is OK.

Whateverman

I can imagine evidence for both of those things that would make significant numbers of people believe them. I'm more after things that no matter what evidence was presented, people would reject.
I understand now.

How about "black people are better at sports"?

"Nazism is good for the economy"

Electric Skeptic

I understand now.

I can imagine evidence for both of those things that would convince me. In fact, I think that the first one is true.

Just to be clear, I am taking any "X is better than Y" to mean "on average, X tend to be better than Y", not "every X is better than every Y".

Whateverman

I can imagine evidence for both of those things that would convince me. In fact, I think that the first one is true.

Just to be clear, I am taking any "X is better than Y" to mean "on average, X tend to be better than Y", not "every X is better than every Y".
So, are you saying that they're examples of what you were asking for?

I'm pretty sure most people would object to a claim that Nazism is good for an economy, even if there's good evidence that it's true.

Torin

That claim would be decried as false by nearly everyone today, but it was accepted as a matter of course by lots of people in the early 20th century.

Backup

Yeah, I heard the Bell Curve guy on Sam Harris’s podcast. His science seems to be good, but it’s too controversial to discuss.

Shame. If you won’t confront a problem, you can never fix it.

Most of the subjects that people are afraid to touch have to do with race and gender. The left has done a good job of threatening people that question their extreme orthodoxy with cancel culture.

Most of the right-wing anti-intellectualism is too stupid to be taken seriously.

Electric Skeptic

Yeah, I heard the Bell Curve guy on Sam Harris’s podcast. His science seems to be good, but it’s too controversial to discuss.
That's right, that was the name.
Shame. If you won’t confront a problem, you can never fix it.
Agreed. The fact that anything is, or can be considered to be, "too controversial to discuss" is, I think a problem.
Most of the subjects that people are afraid to touch have to do with race and gender. The left has done a good job of threatening people that question their extreme orthodoxy with cancel culture.
I'd throw in sex there as a subject that people would be afraid to touch. Imagine the reception a book would get, no matter how sound its research, how thorough its references, how robust its evidence, if it claimed that sex between adults and children is not necessarily harmful to the child?
Most of the right-wing anti-intellectualism is too stupid to be taken seriously.
I don't think this can be blamed on either the right or anti-intellectualism.

Whateverman

DeSanto

Can you think of any opinions which, no matter how well supported, would be decried as false by virtually everybody? I'm imagining someone publishing a book titled "<some opinion>", complete with copious evidence, footnotes, references, the lot - and just about everybody saying that regardless of all that, the opinion is false.

I can think of two straight off the top of my head - I'm curious as to what others can think of.
Racism against white people exists.

Backup

I don't think this can be blamed on either the right or anti-intellectualism.
certainly not the politically correct stuff or the cancel culture

what I was getting at about the right-wing is their ”too controversial“ stuff tends to be dismissed as silly

I do think a lot of the “too controversial“ stuff on the left is anti-intellectual and they promote their ideas through bullying and threats, regather than evidence

Whateverman

Racism against white people exists.
Who - precisely - is going to decry this as false?

It's not even controversial...