Forgiveness of Sin in the Atonement

G

guest1

Matthew 26:26-29
While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.”
27 Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 This is my blood of the[b] covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. 29 I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.”

Hebrews 9:22
Because all things are purged by blood in The Written Law, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.

Leviticus 4:20,26,35
And he shall do with the bullock as he did with the bullock for a sin offering, so shall he do with this: and the priest shall make an atonement for them, and it shall be forgiven them

Leviticus 6:7
And the priest shall make an atonement for him before the LORD: and it shall be forgiven him for any thing of all that he hath done in trespassing therein.

Leviticus 17:11
For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for your souls upon the altar; for it is the blood that makes atonement for the soul.

Hebrews 9
Now the first covenant had regulations for worship and also an earthly sanctuary. 2 A tabernacle was set up. In its first room were the lampstand and the table with its consecrated bread; this was called the Holy Place. 3 Behind the second curtain was a room called the Most Holy Place, 4 which had the golden altar of incense and the gold-covered ark of the covenant. This ark contained the gold jar of manna, Aaron’s staff that had budded, and the stone tablets of the covenant. 5 Above the ark were the cherubim of the Glory, overshadowing the atonement cover. But we cannot discuss these things in detail now.

6 When everything had been arranged like this, the priests entered regularly into the outer room to carry on their ministry. 7 But only the high priest entered the inner room, and that only once a year, and never without blood, which he offered for himself and for the sins the people had committed in ignorance. 8 The Holy Spirit was showing by this that the way into the Most Holy Place had not yet been disclosed as long as the first tabernacle was still functioning. 9 This is an illustration for the present time, indicating that the gifts and sacrifices being offered were not able to clear the conscience of the worshiper. 10 They are only a matter of food and drink and various ceremonial washings—external regulations applying until the time of the new order.

The Blood of Christ​

11 But when Christ came as high priest of the good things that are now already here,[a] he went through the greater and more perfect tabernacle that is not made with human hands, that is to say, is not a part of this creation. 12 He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, thus obtaining[b] eternal redemption. 13 The blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkled on those who are ceremonially unclean sanctify them so that they are outwardly clean. 14 How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death,[c] so that we may serve the living God!

15 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.

16 In the case of a will,[d] it is necessary to prove the death of the one who made it, 17 because a will is in force only when somebody has died; it never takes effect while the one who made it is living. 18 This is why even the first covenant was not put into effect without blood. 19 When Moses had proclaimed every command of the law to all the people, he took the blood of calves, together with water, scarlet wool and branches of hyssop, and sprinkled the scroll and all the people. 20 He said, “This is the blood of the covenant, which God has commanded you to keep.”[e] 21 In the same way, he sprinkled with the blood both the tabernacle and everything used in its ceremonies. 22 In fact, the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.

23 It was necessary, then, for the copies of the heavenly things to be purified with these sacrifices, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. 24 For Christ did not enter a sanctuary made with human hands that was only a copy of the true one; he entered heaven itself, now to appear for us in God’s presence. 25 Nor did he enter heaven to offer himself again and again, the way the high priest enters the Most Holy Place every year with blood that is not his own. 26 Otherwise Christ would have had to suffer many times since the creation of the world. But he has appeared once for all at the culmination of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of himself. 27 Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, 28 so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.

Conclusion: The forgiveness of sins is found only in the blood of Christ- His life which He gave as a sacrifice for sin. That is the heart of the Atonement. It is what the New Covenant is found upon His blood/life which was given for our sins. Forgiveness is only found in His blood/life that He gave on our behalf. That is how are sins are removed and taken away. That is what the Law required for sin was the blood of the animal/sacrifice.

There is no "punishment" above anywhere. There is a sacrifice provided which covers and provides forgiveness of sins. The entire book of Hebrews is built upon the OT Law and how it is fulfilled in Christ. Why did the Author of Hebrews leave out the "penal" aspect of the Law with the sacrifice ?

Someone please help me out here ?

Thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:
Hebrews 10
The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First he says:

16 “This is the covenant I will make with them
after that time, says the Lord.
I will put my laws in their hearts,
and I will write them on their minds.”[b]

17 Then he adds:

Their sins and lawless acts
I will remember no more
.”[c]

18 And where these have been forgiven, sacrifice for sin is no longer necessary.

19 Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, 20 by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body, 21 and since we have a great priest over the house of God, 22 let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and with the full assurance that faith brings, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. 23 Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Hebrews 12
But you have come to Mount Zion, to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem. You have come to thousands upon thousands of angels in joyful assembly, 23 to the church of the firstborn, whose names are written in heaven. You have come to God, the Judge of all, to the spirits of the righteous made perfect, 24 to Jesus the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.

Hebrews 13
The high priest carries the blood of animals into the Most Holy Place as a sin offering, but the bodies are burned outside the camp. 12 And so Jesus also suffered outside the city gate to make the people holy through his own blood.

Conclusion: The forgiveness of sins is found only in the blood of Christ- His life which He gave as a sacrifice for sin. That is the heart of the Atonement. It is what the New Covenant is found upon His blood/life which was given for our sins. Forgiveness is only found in His blood/life that He gave on our behalf. That is how are sins are removed and taken away. That is what the Law required for sin was the blood of the animal/sacrifice.

There is no "punishment" above anywhere. There is a sacrifice provided which covers and provides forgiveness of sins. The entire book of Hebrews is built upon the OT Law and how it is fulfilled in Christ. Why did the Author of Hebrews leave out the "penal" aspect of the Law with the sacrifice ?

Thanks !
I don't intend to offer any help. As I look at what you've put together, it provokes the following questions / thoughts so I understand what you've put forth.

1. Earlier somewhere you listed a number of different views of the atonement. For your conclusion above, which "view" does it fall under? Is your atonement theory a novum, or are you benefiting from someone else's study? If so, is it a recent study? Which theologians ascribe to the view?

2. The view above leads me to wonder about the attribute of God's holiness. It seems to me, that if the notion of "punishment" is removed from the atonement, then... well... sin isn't ultimately punished. While offending a holy God logically requires an infinite punishment, the "blood of Christ" functions as some sort of cosmic healing balm that appeases God and makes peace.

3. Where does the active obedience of Christ fit in to your view? It's good to know why Christ died... but why exactly did Christ live? If it's the blood of Christ as the ultimate sacrificial lamb that takes away sin, what need was there for Christ to actually live? Why couldn't the baby Jesus simply be sacrificed in the manger the first night of his life?

4. I expect I'm not offering you anything new by citing Romans 3-

God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement, through the shedding of his blood—to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished— 26 he did it to demonstrate his righteousness at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.

The logical deduction I see in Paul's words is that something was left unpunished that was later punished. Then of course there's the curse language in Galatians 3, that if one does not keep the law, one is cursed... a curse is.... a punishment. Paul says Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us. Becoming a curse is becoming punishment.

4. I expect I'm not offering you anything new by citing Romans 3-

Romans 3:25-26 (KJV)
25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

The logical deduction I see in Paul's words is that something was left unpunished that was later punished. Then of course there's the curse language in Galatians 3, that if one does not keep the law, one is cursed... a curse is.... a punishment. Paul says Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us. Becoming a curse is becoming punishment.
To be noted

Punishment is not mentioned in Rom 3:25-26

and hilasteron has been translated mercy seat, propitiation, atoning sacrifice, expiation

NIV84 God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished

LEB whom God made publicly available as the mercy seat through faith in his blood, for a demonstration of his righteousness, because of the passing over of previously committed sins

NRSV whom God put forward as a sacrifice of atonement by his blood, effective through faith. He did this to show his righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over the sins previously committed;

RSV whom God put forward as an expiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God’s righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins;

NET God publicly displayed him at his death as the mercy seat accessible through faith. This was to demonstrate his righteousness, because God in his forbearance had passed over the sins previously committed.

CSB God presented him as the mercy seat by his blood, through faith, to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his restraint God passed over the sins previously committed.72% difference

NAB whom God set forth as an expiation, through faith, by his blood, to prove his righteousness because of the forgiveness of sins previously committed,

YLT whom God did set forth a mercy seat, through the faith in his blood, for the shewing forth of His righteousness, because of the passing over of the bygone sins in the forbearance of God—51% difference

NJB God appointed him as a sacrifice for reconciliation, through faith, by the shedding of his blood, and so showed his justness; first for the past, when sins went unpunished because he held his hand;

ISV whom God offered as a place where atonement by Christ’s blood could occur through faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because he had waited patiently to deal with sins committed in the past

EHV whom God publicly displayed as the atonement seat through faith in his blood. God did this to demonstrate his justice, since, in his divine restraint, he had left the sins that were committed earlier unpunished.

Matthew 26:26-29
While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.”
27 Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 This is my blood of the[b] covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins. 29 I tell you, I will not drink from this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in my Father’s kingdom.”

Hebrews 9:22
Because all things are purged by blood in The Written Law, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.

Leviticus 4:20,26,35
And he shall do with the bullock as he did with the bullock for a sin offering, so shall he do with this: and the priest shall make an atonement for them, and it shall be forgiven them

Leviticus 6:7
And the priest shall make an atonement for him before the LORD: and it shall be forgiven him for any thing of all that he hath done in trespassing therein.

Leviticus 17:11
For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for your souls upon the altar; for it is the blood that makes atonement for the soul.

Hebrews 9
Now the first covenant had regulations for worship and also an earthly sanctuary. 2 A tabernacle was set up. In its first room were the lampstand and the table with its consecrated bread; this was called the Holy Place. 3 Behind the second curtain was a room called the Most Holy Place, 4 which had the golden altar of incense and the gold-covered ark of the covenant. This ark contained the gold jar of manna, Aaron’s staff that had budded, and the stone tablets of the covenant. 5 Above the ark were the cherubim of the Glory, overshadowing the atonement cover. But we cannot discuss these things in detail now.

6 When everything had been arranged like this, the priests entered regularly into the outer room to carry on their ministry. 7 But only the high priest entered the inner room, and that only once a year, and never without blood, which he offered for himself and for the sins the people had committed in ignorance. 8 The Holy Spirit was showing by this that the way into the Most Holy Place had not yet been disclosed as long as the first tabernacle was still functioning. 9 This is an illustration for the present time, indicating that the gifts and sacrifices being offered were not able to clear the conscience of the worshiper. 10 They are only a matter of food and drink and various ceremonial washings—external regulations applying until the time of the new order.

The Blood of Christ​

11 But when Christ came as high priest of the good things that are now already here,[a] he went through the greater and more perfect tabernacle that is not made with human hands, that is to say, is not a part of this creation. 12 He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, thus obtaining[b] eternal redemption. 13 The blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkled on those who are ceremonially unclean sanctify them so that they are outwardly clean. 14 How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death,[c] so that we may serve the living God!

15 For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.

16 In the case of a will,[d] it is necessary to prove the death of the one who made it, 17 because a will is in force only when somebody has died; it never takes effect while the one who made it is living. 18 This is why even the first covenant was not put into effect without blood. 19 When Moses had proclaimed every command of the law to all the people, he took the blood of calves, together with water, scarlet wool and branches of hyssop, and sprinkled the scroll and all the people. 20 He said, “This is the blood of the covenant, which God has commanded you to keep.”[e] 21 In the same way, he sprinkled with the blood both the tabernacle and everything used in its ceremonies. 22 In fact, the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness.

23 It was necessary, then, for the copies of the heavenly things to be purified with these sacrifices, but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these. 24 For Christ did not enter a sanctuary made with human hands that was only a copy of the true one; he entered heaven itself, now to appear for us in God’s presence. 25 Nor did he enter heaven to offer himself again and again, the way the high priest enters the Most Holy Place every year with blood that is not his own. 26 Otherwise Christ would have had to suffer many times since the creation of the world. But he has appeared once for all at the culmination of the ages to do away with sin by the sacrifice of himself. 27 Just as people are destined to die once, and after that to face judgment, 28 so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.

Thanks !
Another excellent OP!

You know it was the blood for me! One day when I was lost he died upon that cross. You know what was the blood for me!

The scarlet thread running through the Bible is a picture of the Blood of Jesus Christ, shed on the Cross to wash away our sin. The Book of Genesis gives us the earliest picture of the Blood. God Himself killed an animal and clothed Adam and Eve with skin.

So therefore the reason for the color of redemption’s thread fills the pages of the books of the law, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy: blood. Because death entered the world as the cost of sin, it makes perfect sense that the physical representation of life would be required to pay for it.

So God's law required that sin be paid for in blood. Poured out on the altar to acquit the individual and on the mercy seat of the Ark of the Covenant to absolve the nation, animal blood flowed freely in God’s system of atoning sacrifices. Sounds rather unsanitary doesn't it? But still day after day, year after year, it became readily apparent that there could never be enough blood to completely cleanse the sin of the world much less the nation of Israel.

God knew this, of course and so God started his master plan to pay for sin once and for all with the birth of Jesus —a redemption that in His perfection only He could accomplish. God the Father sent God the Son on the ultimate rescue mission, and Jesus became our mercy seat, transforming the place of judgment into the place of mercy. The system of sacrifices in Leviticus was never meant to be permanent, because they were sacrifices “which can never take away sins” (Hebrews 10:11).

The sacrificial system only covered the sins, but the blood of Jesus removes them permanently.

Everything that the sacrificial system temporarily accomplished —atonement, sanctification, and holiness—was made permanent on a one-time, ongoing basis by the blood of the final sacrifice, Jesus Christ.

Atonement is propitiation from vicarious punishment of wrath against sin, the second death represents this punishment of wrath.

This is the witness of the Spirit of God, and the only solution that upholds the requirement of the Law and the holiness of God.

You can change what the blood means to any thing according to your presuppositions, but that's what it means.

That's the atonement I'm counting on to save my soul, not something less or something else or something more.

That's the atonement I'm counting on to save my soul, not something less or something else or something more.

If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his soul will lose it but whoever loses his soul for my sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? For the son of man is going to come in the glory of his Father with his angels, and will then repay every man according to his deeds. - Jesus

Another excellent OP!

You know it was the blood for me! One day when I was lost he died upon that cross. You know what was the blood for me!

The scarlet thread running through the Bible is a picture of the Blood of Jesus Christ, shed on the Cross to wash away our sin. The Book of Genesis gives us the earliest picture of the Blood. God Himself killed an animal and clothed Adam and Eve with skin.

So therefore the reason for the color of redemption’s thread fills the pages of the books of the law, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy: blood. Because death entered the world as the cost of sin, it makes perfect sense that the physical representation of life would be required to pay for it.

So God's law required that sin be paid for in blood. Poured out on the altar to acquit the individual and on the mercy seat of the Ark of the Covenant to absolve the nation, animal blood flowed freely in God’s system of atoning sacrifices. Sounds rather unsanitary doesn't it? But still day after day, year after year, it became readily apparent that there could never be enough blood to completely cleanse the sin of the world much less the nation of Israel.

God knew this, of course and so God started his master plan to pay for sin once and for all with the birth of Jesus —a redemption that in His perfection only He could accomplish. God the Father sent God the Son on the ultimate rescue mission, and Jesus became our mercy seat, transforming the place of judgment into the place of mercy. The system of sacrifices in Leviticus was never meant to be permanent, because they were sacrifices “which can never take away sins” (Hebrews 10:11).

The sacrificial system only covered the sins, but the blood of Jesus removes them permanently.

Everything that the sacrificial system temporarily accomplished —atonement, sanctification, and holiness—was made permanent on a one-time, ongoing basis by the blood of the final sacrifice, Jesus Christ.
Amen

Atonement is propitiation from vicarious punishment of wrath against sin, the second death represents this punishment of wrath.

This is the witness of the Spirit of God, and the only solution that upholds the requirement of the Law and the holiness of God.

You can change what the blood means to any thing according to your presuppositions, but that's what it means.

Propitiation is not in the Bible it’s a Latin word invented in the 1500’s.

Next

Hilasteron may be expiation, atoning sacrifice, the mercy seat - the place of atonement, or propitiation - the removal of obstacles to relationship

Hilasteron may be expiation, atoning sacrifice, the mercy seat - the place of atonement, or propitiation - the removal of obstacles to relationship
They don’t understand propitiation is a Latin word from the 1500’s not a biblical word .

I have noticed that nearly everyone here fails to notice that it is not an event but a person. Either that or the massive significance of this difference sails right over their heads. So in the end everyone keeps blabbing on and on about it as if it were an event rather than a person and no resolution is to be found anywhere. I guess that's what happens when people's minds are fogged up with their personal desires.

He Himself is the propitiation for our sins
1 John 2

I have noticed that nearly everyone here fails to notice that it is not an event but a person. Either that or the massive significance of this difference sails right over their heads. So in the end everyone keeps blabbing on and on about it as if it were an event rather than a person and no resolution is to be found anywhere. I guess that's what happens when people's minds are fogged up with their personal desires.

1 John 2
It’s both an event the crucifixion and a Person who was crucified for sin. It’s not either/or much like His Person in not either/or. He is both human and Divine..

Next

1 John 2
which would still allow for multiple terms

To be noted

Punishment is not mentioned in Rom 3:25-26

and hilasteron has been translated mercy seat, propitiation, atoning sacrifice, expiation

NIV84 God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished

LEB whom God made publicly available as the mercy seat through faith in his blood, for a demonstration of his righteousness, because of the passing over of previously committed sins

NRSV whom God put forward as a sacrifice of atonement by his blood, effective through faith. He did this to show his righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over the sins previously committed;

RSV whom God put forward as an expiation by his blood, to be received by faith. This was to show God’s righteousness, because in his divine forbearance he had passed over former sins;

NET God publicly displayed him at his death as the mercy seat accessible through faith. This was to demonstrate his righteousness, because God in his forbearance had passed over the sins previously committed.

CSB God presented him as the mercy seat by his blood, through faith, to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his restraint God passed over the sins previously committed.72% difference

NAB whom God set forth as an expiation, through faith, by his blood, to prove his righteousness because of the forgiveness of sins previously committed,

YLT whom God did set forth a mercy seat, through the faith in his blood, for the shewing forth of His righteousness, because of the passing over of the bygone sins in the forbearance of God—51% difference

NJB God appointed him as a sacrifice for reconciliation, through faith, by the shedding of his blood, and so showed his justness; first for the past, when sins went unpunished because he held his hand;

ISV whom God offered as a place where atonement by Christ’s blood could occur through faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because he had waited patiently to deal with sins committed in the past

EHV whom God publicly displayed as the atonement seat through faith in his blood. God did this to demonstrate his justice, since, in his divine restraint, he had left the sins that were committed earlier unpunished.
Yes it’s like how some like to make world , all , every man fit their doctrine so in turn spin the words / phrases to fit their doctrine .

1 John 2:2 is a perfect example of both .

I should know as I’ve been doing it for the past 40 years but no longer .

hope this helps !!!

Yes it’s like how some like to make world , all , every man fit their doctrine so in turn spin the words / phrases to fit their doctrine .

1 John 2:2 is a perfect example of both .

I should know as I’ve been doing it for the past 40 years but no longer .

hope this helps !!!
Well it never hurts to examine one's presuppositions

hilasteron has been translated mercy seat, propitiation, atoning sacrifice, expiation

Back