Free from what?

Woody50

Hello, brothers and sisters. I think from the title of this post you know what I am intending with this post. Freedom is meaningless without something or someone to be free FROM.

So, if you believe in free will, from what (or from whom) are you free?

Woody50

Touché. I wish I'd stop trying that.

On that note, I'm not a huge fan of Piper, but I like his analogy of the Law and a roller coaster. Have you heard that?

ReverendRV

So, you're free from God? Sorry, I don't know you. Forgive me if we're speaking the same language.
I'm a 5-Point Calvinist; a Reformed, Independent Fundamental Baptist. I'm probably the most Liberal 5-Pointer you will meet; a Compatibalist. I'm an elementary ABC 123 'mini theologian'; I can say the same thing as high Theologians, but at the Beginner level. I'm a New Calvinist like John Piper; a fan of Fullerism and Duty Faith...

An Evangelical, Born Again Christian; an Evangelist at heart. A Sinner Saved by Grace Alone...

Last edited:

Woody50

I'm a 5-Point Calvinist; a Reformed, Independent Fundamental Baptist. I'm probably the most Liberal 5-Pointer you will meet; a Compatibalist. I'm an elementary ABC 123 'mini theologian'; I can say the same thing as high Theologians, but on the Beginner level. I'm a New Calvinist like John Piper; a fan of Fullerism and Duty Faith...

An Evangelical, Born Again Christian; a Sinner Saved by Grace...
Praise God for you, Rev (okay if I call you Rev?).

I pray that we have many discussions on this forum that bring glory to our Sovereign God and Savior, Jesus Christ. I am also a 5-pointer, some would call me hyper, but I disagree. I'm curious about the Compatibilism--it's inconsistent, IMNSHO. I'd love to talk with you more.

Thanks for the response, Rev. Nice to meet you!

ReverendRV

Praise God for you, Rev (okay if I call you Rev?).

I pray that we have many discussions on this forum that bring glory to our Sovereign God and Savior, Jesus Christ. I am also a 5-pointer, some would call me hyper, but I disagree. I'm curious about the Compatibilism--it's inconsistent, IMNSHO. I'd love to talk with you more.

Thanks for the response, Rev. Nice to meet you!
It's fine to call me Rev; my friends call me Bruiser. I watched your conversations elsewhere, it looks like you can debate...

I'm a Compatibalist in the sense I think God's Determinism and our determinism regarding his Decree are Compatible, and are independent/Individual Causations resulting in the same outcome; similar to how God is Triune and God is One is also Compatible. I noticed you defending the Trinity on the Christian Science Board or something like it. I think all Christians are Compatibalists from time to time. Jesus is God, Jesus is Man; that's Compatibalism...

But even though we are all Compatibalists, we argue where Compatibalism begins; and where it should end. My tactic is to show us all just how much we really have in common...

Last edited:

Sketo

I'm curious about the Compatibilism--it's inconsistent, IMNSHO. I'd love to talk with you more.
If you are curious about Compatiblism yoy might be interested in this thread...

Woody50

It's fine to call me Rev; my friends call me Bruiser. I watched your conversations elsewhere, it looks like you can debate...

I'm a Compatibalist in the sense I think God's Determinism and our determinism regarding his Decree are Compatible, and are independent/Individual Causations resulting in the same outcome; similar to how God is Triune and God is One is also Compatible. I noticed you defending the Trinity on the Christian Science Board or something like it. I think all Christians are Compatibalists from time to time. Jesus is God, Jesus is Man; that's Compatibalism...

But even though we are all Compatibalists, we argue where Compatibalism begins; and where it should end. My tactic is to show us all just how much we really have in common...
Where does Compatibilism end?

Woody50

If you are curious about Compatiblism yoy might be interested in this thread...

So, "compatibilism" is a word to help others understand God's sovereignty? I've never heard the word, but what you shared makes sense. Piper once said, "Yes, Satan is our Enemy...and he's on a leash." I disagree. Satan is a puppet, solely created for God's glory. No leash. He just does what God has decreed...always. Every move.

So, you'd say that "compatibilism" is that God's sovereignty is compatible with our ideas of Him?

Woody50

Sorry, by the way, for taking so long to get back to you. I enjoy this conversation, but I have responsibilities. I'm still hanging around, Rev...er...Bruiser.

zerinus

Hello, brothers and sisters. I think from the title of this post you know what I am intending with this post. Freedom is meaningless without something or someone to be free FROM.

Freedom to choose, without coercion, predestination, or predetermination.

TomFL

External compulsion. It is however certainly not absolute but limited by our character and God's sovereignty