Free will vs Living/walking in the Spirit

Manfred

Prior to salvation, when an individual lives and walks in the flesh, every decision made is to glorify self. Man in that state can do nothing to please God.

Isaiah 64
6 We have all become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous deeds are like a polluted garment.

After salvation, we are told to walk in the Spirit in order not to satisfy the lusts of the flesh.

Gal 5
16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.

You are supposed to let go of your choices (self will), and be obedient to the leading of the Spirit. By walking in the Spirit and being obedient to the Spirit you will therefore walk in the good works that God has prepared for you to walk in beforehand.

Eph 2
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

My questions to Arminians

Are you God's workmanship, or did you make a choice in the flesh to be His workmanship?

If the desires of the flesh (that which your self will craves) is opposed to the Spirit and the Spirit is opposed to the desires of your self will how did you come to be Spiritually born again? How did you make such a decision in the flesh?

When (at what point) did you become able in your flesh, to understand the gospel? Was it your intellect that allowed you to understand and make an informed self will decision to be saved?

How can a self will decision, thought by you to be righteous, not be like a polluted garment?

If you want to argue that the self will is not bound to the flesh, then by all means provide scripture. Your say-so is not good enough.

ReverendRV

Prior to salvation, when an individual lives and walks in the flesh, every decision made is to glorify self. Man in that state can do nothing to please God.

Isaiah 64
6 We have all become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous deeds are like a polluted garment.

After salvation, we are told to walk in the Spirit in order not to satisfy the lusts of the flesh.

Gal 5
16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.

You are supposed to let go of your choices (self will), and be obedient to the leading of the Spirit. By walking in the Spirit and being obedient to the Spirit you will therefore walk in the good works that God has prepared for you to walk in beforehand.

Eph 2
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.

My questions to Arminians

Are you God's workmanship, or did you make a choice in the flesh to be His workmanship?

If the desires of the flesh (that which your self will craves) is opposed to the Spirit and the Spirit is opposed to the desires of your self will how did you come to be Spiritually born again? How did you make such a decision in the flesh?

When (at what point) did you become able in your flesh, to understand the gospel? Was it your intellect that allowed you to understand and make an informed self will decision to be saved?

How can a self will decision, thought by you to be righteous, not be like a polluted garment?

If you want to argue that the self will is not bound to the flesh, then by all means provide scripture. Your say-so is not good enough.
This reminds me of my recent point about "Filthy-Rag faith". Efficacious prevening Grace is the answer to your questions about how we can believe; without resulting in our having a Filthy-Rag faith. They will admit this, but when they think I'm not looking; they will begin again to argue for the ability of the Believer to have Prevenient Faith...

Last edited:

Manfred

This reminds me of my recent point about "Filthy-Rag faith". Efficacious prevening Grace is the answer to your questions about how we can believe; without resulting in our having a Filthy-Rag faith. They will admit this, but when they think I'm not looking; they will begin again to argue for the ability of the Believer to have Prevenient Faith...
Prevenient faith contradicts the proclamation by Jesus that all those the Father gives to Him will come to Him (John 6:37).
Philippians 1:6 “He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ.”

As to how we can believe, it is by the effective renewing of our dead spirits through the power of God. A crowd hears the gospel, only the elect will be cut to the heart, not all are cut to the heart.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

ReverendRV

Prevenient faith contradicts the proclamation by Jesus that all those the Father gives to Him will come to Him (John 6:37).
Philippians 1:6 “He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ.”

As to how we can believe, it is by the effective renewing of our dead spirits through the power of God. A crowd hears the gospel, only the elect will be cut to the heart, not all are cut to the heart.
6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
When I talk about God's prevening Grace, I include Irresistible Grace; because it is also prevenient...