From Matt Slick to Everyone

Matt Slick

CARM President
Staff member
I apologize for the difficulty with the previous forums. The format was great but the implementation wasn't. I spent many hours, accompanied by a great deal of frustration before I finally gave up on them. We researched different forms and came up with these. Hopefully, they will work well and will also integrate seamlessly into the new CARM site when it's released.

We are still working the bugs out in this forum set up. So, please be patient with us.

So, if you have features that you would like on these forums, please list them in this thread. Hopefully, I'll be able to get to them when I have some spare time... But since I don't have much spare time, don't expect too much too quickly.

Anyway, I hope these forums work well.

Thanks for your patience

Sherman

Also request that once your account is verified that it stops with the puzzles and captcha. I keep getting those when I am away from home and on the cellphone.

SteveB

Hi Matt.
While you guys were down, I got ancy, and went looking for someplace to "hang out", and ran across another forum, which also uses this XenForo software package.
I'd never heard of it before them, so I just worked through getting used to the software. Now that I see you guys are using it, and see differences between the two, I'm curious if there are different levels of usage, which would make so dramatic a difference.
I've taken screenshots, but I see that there are server errors which are presently preventing posting image files to help provide examples.
So, since I can't easily explain without requiring far more complicated descriptions, please see the website---
Cannot link to other forums on CARM.

looking at the XenForo (XF) website, and forum solutions, I'm not seeing anything specific which would lead me to believe that what CF has is more advanced. But that's more a matter of a lack of experience with XF.

You may have to join to see some of the variations, but they are pretty nice.
If however this is a matter of they've simply purchased a premium level, and you're working on a beginner or intermediate, then I'll just ask for the text formatting that I'm not presently able to do.

Sherman

I have been an Admin on an assortment of platforms including Vbulletin before the people left Vbulletin and migrated to Xenforo. Xenforo works like the old Vbulletin. What you may need to do is go into permissions for the members and set the file size. The file size right now is probably zero. You need to set it to a reasonable size to at least allow a 600 x 600 PNG so that the avatars don't get mashed when the member uploads them. As a minimum the member needs to upload a image that as 400 X 400 otherwise it looks poor. Here on CARM we have never had albums so that is a moot point. But you will need to do the same thing for uploads - the file size right now is probably zero and that is why it doesn't work. File size would be 900 wide by 900 high would be reasonable for posts. Inspecting images right now won't give me the file size for a 600x600 PNG

Sherman

I am currently going to be migrating a small Vbulletin board to Xenforo. I will then get a better look at the image and avatar settings after it is moved. But I believe it is because no file size is set and that is why there is an issue.

balshan

I apologize for the difficulty with the previous forums. The format was great but the implementation wasn't. I spent many hours, accompanied by a great deal of frustration before I finally gave up on them. We researched different forms and came up with these. Hopefully, they will work well and will also integrate seamlessly into the new CARM site when it's released.

We are still working the bugs out in this forum set up. So, please be patient with us.

So, if you have features that you would like on these forums, please list them in this thread. Hopefully, I'll be able to get to them when I have some spare time... But since I don't have much spare time, don't expect too much too quickly.

Anyway, I hope these forums work well.

Thanks for your patience
I would like to thank you and everyone who has worked on the forums for your perseverance. We understand being frustrated, many of us felt that whilst waiting for it to be up and running again. It provides a great service for those of us in lock down, will it ever end in my state. Those who are limited in what they can do. It also keeps us focused on Him, the source of our strength to get through.

Also thank you for the note letting us all know what was happening.

Bonnie

The new boards will take some getting used to, but appear to be working well. I did spend nearly a day not being able to get on, due to the "captcha" stuff, which drove me crazy, but after awhile, it went away, and I was able to get on. One feature I would like to see installed is having private messaging. I know it didn't work on the last two boards, that everyone could see them, not just "friends" we subscribed to.

But anyway, thanks for having the boards back and a lot faster than 2 months, too. :)

Sherman

Another feature request and this is from back in the old days - special username color for the Christians on the board. CARM used to give Christians purple names, that way we knew who we were dealing with.

4Him

Administrator
Staff member
Another feature request and this is from back in the old days - special username color for the Christians on the board. CARM used to give Christians purple names, that way we knew who we were dealing with.
CARM didn't color code Christians. The purple was so that we knew who was a Super Member.

robycop3

I appreciate all your hard work, Matt ! Having set up a couple of small sites, I know it takes time & patience !

I'm on a couple of other Xenforo boards that have nothing to do with worship, & they' always worked great far as I know. For that matter, so do a couple of BVulletin boards I've been on for years. But they're not as modern as this one is.