From Matt Slick to Everyone

I second the calls for the threaded hybrid mode, if it can be done. I think that any forum designer who doesn't see the value of it is obviously not a user of forums himself. The ability to see all of the subject lines in a few seconds without having to click-click-click through pages of full posts is such an obvious benefit that I don't see why anyone wouldn't want it. It facilitates forum engagement.

bigthinker

I second the calls for the threaded hybrid mode, if it can be done. I think that any forum designer who doesn't see the value of it is obviously not a user of forums himself. The ability to see all of the subject lines in a few seconds without having to click-click-click through pages of full posts is such an obvious benefit that I don't see why anyone wouldn't want it. It facilitates forum engagement.
Quite right.
Or at least doesn't understand the needs of the user. But perhaps xenForo evolved out of a different product not necessarily intended for the kinds of online discussions that benefit from threaded hybrid mode and therefore isn't easy to implement.
Is it possible its a premium option available at a different pay tier?
To be fair, I'm not a programmer and perhaps there is some kind of limitation. Nonetheless, it would be a great feature.
For the time being, xenForo is much easier to navigate than whatever the last version of vBulletin that was running the CARM forums. That version had a large part in why I left it alone for awhile.

Bonnie

No, it wasn't. It was much easier to see who replied to what rather than go through pages an pages of posts.
I agree. And it wasn't really that complex. I didn't always need to use the "quote" function when we had the hybrid function. But that fell by the wayside back in summer of 2016, when the old boards crashed and burned and then we got Vbulletin.

Sherman

Board formatting has really changed since 2016. Though this formatting is very friendly to my phone. Perhaps that is why they don't offer a hybrid view anymore.

Nondenom40

I apologize for the difficulty with the previous forums. The format was great but the implementation wasn't. I spent many hours, accompanied by a great deal of frustration before I finally gave up on them. We researched different forms and came up with these. Hopefully, they will work well and will also integrate seamlessly into the new CARM site when it's released.

We are still working the bugs out in this forum set up. So, please be patient with us.

So, if you have features that you would like on these forums, please list them in this thread. Hopefully, I'll be able to get to them when I have some spare time... But since I don't have much spare time, don't expect too much too quickly.

Anyway, I hope these forums work well.

Thanks for your patience
Matt, any thoughts of adding some CARM content to Parler? Just curious.

balshan

Also is there a way we can dismiss the notifications we have responded to, I would love to know where to start when I sign on in the morning.

balshan

Its a new conservative form of a fb type platform. People are dumping fb like rats leaving a sinking ship.
I don't blame them. Thank you for the information. I have a very limited facebook only immediate family. I would rather speak with people in person.

Steven Avery

probably many forums went to the more limited Facebook thread model which is mostly flat and only allows one quote level.

Facebook allows multiple levels, you can look at urls that have at least three (maybe four) --- nnnnnnn.
Oh, you are talking about quote levels, understood.

Facebook is really a totally different design. It is good for collaborative studies with friends, not so good for readable, enjoyable forums. I often end up mirroring what is written on Facebook to a 'real' forum :) .

Thanks so much, Matt. Good job.

My own research forum purebibleforum (full url click on my pic, then to About) similarly left vBulletin a year ago. Xenforo was recommended to me by a German Christian friend who also helped me set up on the super-economy Linode platform (which does need a little geek help.) I found Georg through the Xenforo forums.

The move to Xenforo is fantabulous.

Note that I miss the ability to have a subject text for a post. Xenforo decided not to bother with that feature, and I doubt it will be added. There is pretty robust discussion in Xenforo forum land about add-ons, features, etc. I noticed that the editor toodbar is a bit different here than on mine, curious why.

Overall, very pleased!

Granted you had tons of stuff in vBulletin that was customized, but they really did lose the thread. Xenforo was actually begun by some of their lead developers, who I understand got frustrated and wanted to start fresh.

Steven Avery

Last edited:

Sherman

I do have another feature request- well its two - display gender - male or female, and faith. That way we know who we are dealing with. It takes out a lot of the guesswork.

SteveB

I apologize for the difficulty with the previous forums. The format was great but the implementation wasn't. I spent many hours, accompanied by a great deal of frustration before I finally gave up on them. We researched different forms and came up with these. Hopefully, they will work well and will also integrate seamlessly into the new CARM site when it's released.

We are still working the bugs out in this forum set up. So, please be patient with us.

So, if you have features that you would like on these forums, please list them in this thread. Hopefully, I'll be able to get to them when I have some spare time... But since I don't have much spare time, don't expect too much too quickly.

Anyway, I hope these forums work well.

Thanks for your patience
A couple of items.

Could you please turn on the ability to access the clipboard?
Years ago I used to be able to access my clipboard. But at a certain point, something changed and ever since I am no longer able to access it.

Could you please turn on the formatting tools for android devices?
I don't know why, but on my windows computer I can access them. But on my phone, I am not able to.

e v e

A couple of items.

Years ago I used to be able to access my clipboard. But at a certain point, something changed and ever since I am no longer able to access it.

I don't know why, but on my windows computer I can access them. But on my phone, I am not able to.
is there an app for android that would do that for you?

SteveB

A couple of items.

I wasn't to add an addendum to my post.
I'm presently on my Kindle Fire tablet and the formatting tools are active. So this issue appears to be the Android phone software.

This.